Hopkinton USPSA Season Opener, Sat April 5th

Ok folks, it's time for the first Hopkinton USPSA match of the 2014 season this Saturday April 5th! It's been a long craptastic winter but it's finally time to get back outside for some run-n-gun fun. We're cookin up some fun stages and hope to build on a strong 2013 season so come on out and shoot with us this Sat [thumbsup]

What: 5 stage USPSA match, including one classifier stage...maybe a speed shoot 6th stage, we'll see.
Where: 95 Lumber Street, Hopkinton MA (look for the big granite sign)
When: Sat April 5th, 8:30am first shot (start early to finish early), registration opens at 8am
Why: Because it's really fun
How Much: match fee is $20

Spectators and new shooters always welcome, just let us know it's your first match and we'll make sure someone helps you through the process so you have a safe and fun match. Membership in USPSA is encouraged but not required. Feel free to reply to the thread of PM me with any questions.....

See you there,
Peter

Scores are up!
uspsa.org
practiscore.com

Last edited:
I keep saying it...but I'm going to come and shoot my first USPSA match. Gotta wipe those cobwebs off the old tuperware. Be kind...it's my furst twime.

Be kind...it's my furst twime.

Nobody wants to go first in the shooting rotation - you can benefit from watching someone shoot it before you.

If you are called to shoot a stage first in your group, tell the RO that this is your first match and you would prefer not to go first - you will be accommodated.

Nobody wants to go first in the shooting rotation - you will be accommodated.

For the most part this is true, however I have volunteered to be the first shooter of the squad before, especially at larger matches where I might have some pre-match "butterflies." I'd rather go and get it over with.

That said, if my leg feels good enough that I can actually participate rather than just work the match, I'll go first in my squad.

Thanks for reminding me to throw the pop-up in the car and bring it to the range with me for extra shelter if needed.

Last edited:
I keep saying it...but I'm going to come and shoot my first USPSA match. Gotta wipe those cobwebs off the old tuperware. Be kind...it's my furst twime.

You've spent enough time at the matches shooting photos, bring the gun this time and get in the game! don't worry, we'll get you squaded up with some folks that can help you along.

Accuweather says morning showers possible. [frown]

Hopefully it's wrong, I just took mine today because it's the first of the month and that's my limit [shocked]

New range improvements for this season include concrete pads with fixed steel roofs on both large pits so between those and the EZ-Ups we should be able to weather the occasional water droplets.

Wife is away for the day so I have no excuse. Time to dust off a gun and show up. It's been a good 2-3 years, so I'm flagging myself as a newbie again!!!

Required equipment is a belt mounted holster and mag pouch, and three + magazines, and ammo, correct?

Wife is away for the day so I have no excuse. Time to dust off a gun and show up. It's been a good 2-3 years, so I'm flagging myself as a newbie again!!!

No excuse for not being there, but I like to have a few lined up ahead of time to explain my match performance [thinking]

Required equipment is a belt mounted holster and mag pouch, and three + magazines, and ammo, correct?

Correct, preferably OWB for the holster if you don't want to scare the bejeebus out of the RO. How many mags depends on the division you plan on shooting but in general more is better [wink]. if you're bringing a common platform (Glock, M&P, etc) chances are someone will have some gear or even a mag or two you can borrow. I have a holster and mag pouches that will work for a Glock 22/17 that I keep in my loaner bag. I can toss a few G22 mags in the range bag as well if anyone needs to borrow them....just drop me a PM ahead of time.

I don't have a round count yet but I usually bring 200 to a match and go home with 50ish. our matches last year averaged around 125 minimum rounds.

edit: don't forget eyes and ears in the required equipment of course!

Peter

Oh, I have enough mags (eight for my M&P, and more than 8 for my SR9) :) Just wondered how many I should bring with.

Oh, I have enough mags (eight for my M&P, and more than 8 for my SR9) :) Just wondered how many I should bring with.

bring all of them. I go into a 32 round stage with at least 60 rounds (10+1 in the gun to start, 5 ten round mags on the belt) That much is not necessary, but it can benefit you to reload when you want to, instead of when the gun is empty, because you only have 4 mags.

Yeah BostonBullit, but I get more shots in the A zone at speed and on the move with my Canon! It is an Open Camera however. I don't think I can junk carry the Canon though. [wink] Hopefully picking up some gear this week and then it's off to the races.

So got to remember...no fishing vest...I don't have to flat foot the reloads!

Rob, thanks for the extra words of advice.

And Mike, I always knew you were "special"...volunteering to go first. Hope your leg is feeling better man!

I'm primarily an IDPA shooter, mainly because I'm usually busy on Sundays. I only found out late last year that you do Saturday USPSA matches, so I'm excited to try the dark side. I'll leave my fishing vest at home. [smile]

Haha, I always bring an extra gun and 400 rounds per gun to every shoot. The one time I didn't, my shooting partner had gun probs and had to dnf:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bring all of them. I go into a 32 round stage with at least 60 rounds (10+1 in the gun to start, 5 ten round mags on the belt) That much is not necessary, but it can benefit you to reload when you want to, instead of when the gun is empty, because you only have 4 mags.

A good idea is to add enough mags to your belt to make your knees buckle, and then add one more. You can't carry too many mags. Ask the guy who ran dry on the last shot.

I'm primarily an IDPA shooter, mainly because I'm usually busy on Sundays. I only found out late last year that you do Saturday USPSA matches, so I'm excited to try the dark side. I'll leave my fishing vest at home. [smile]
You will like it, particularly after being used to constraints of restrictive rules that don't let you "open up the throttle".

BigDaddyAl - FTDR! I say we both bring the fishing vests and do tactical reloads on all the stages and get totally roasted by these guys [crying].

One of my buddies needed some practice going into the S&W indoor nationals a year or two back so he shot an entire USPSA match using IDPA rules; was funny to watch!

There's no prize table at local matches, no podiums, and no cash payouts; it's all about having some fun with friends on the range. We have ICOR guys that come shoot the matches using red dot revolvers even though it puts them in Open division, they don't care they just shoot against each other and ignore the guys with the blasters when the standings come out. That's what I try to get people to understand when they worry about "competing", just come out and give it a try. Ignore the timer, take things slow, make all your actions deliberate and focus on being SAFE...don't try to come out of the gate gangbusters and win the match. If you can do those things you'll have a good time and progress from there.

One of my buddies needed some practice going into the S&W indoor nationals a year or two back so he shot an entire USPSA match using IDPA rules; was funny to watch! There's no prize table at local matches, no podiums, and no cash payouts; it's all about having some fun with friends on the range. We have ICOR guys that come shoot the matches using red dot revolvers even though it puts them in Open division, they don't care they just shoot against each other and ignore the guys with the blasters when the standings come out. That's what I try to get people to understand when they worry about "competing", just come out and give it a try. Ignore the timer, take things slow, make all your actions deliberate and focus on being SAFE...don't try to come out of the gate gangbusters and win the match. If you can do those things you'll have a good time and progress from there.

That's the way I play. Get your skills first, speed comes later. :)

I need a real job, one that doesn't require me to work saturdays. I would have loved to give this a go.
Is it common with IDPA & USPSA to not allow more than 10 rounds in the mag?

I need a real job, one that doesn't require me to work saturdays. I would have loved to give this a go.
Is it common with IDPA & USPSA to not allow more than 10 rounds in the mag?

IDPA limits you to 10rnds per mag to simulate a real-world defensive situation.....ok, I'm going to cut that off there and play nice [wink]

USPSA has different divisions which are broken up by the type of gear you're allowed to use.

Production and Limited 10 both restrict the shooter to 10rnds in any mag at the sound of the buzzer.
Single Stack limits the shooter to 8rnds in a mag shooting major or 10 if shooting minor. I won't make your head explode with the actual difference so just figure if you're shooting a 45ACP you're limited to 8 and if you're shooting a 1911 in 40 or 9 then you can have 10.
Revolvers used to be limited to 6 but this year it's 6 for major and 8 for minor.
Limited and Open your capacity is restricted only by how many rounds you can stuff into a mag that fits the length limits, which are 141mm in Limited and 171mm in Open. Limited guys usually shoot 40SW and pack 22-23 per mag and Open guys are 38Super or 9mm Major and run 28-30 in the big stick.

If you work on Saturdays then check the calendar at USPSA-NE.org because USPSA day is usually Sunday....at Hopkinton we do Sat because all the Sundays were already taken by other clubs.

A 1911 shooting .40 S&W is limited to 8 rounds in Single Stack, not 10. 22 is the absolute limit to squeeze into a pariticular .40 mag for limited. 21 is a tight fit, with the right parts and a tweeked mag body.

A 1911 shooting .40 S&W is limited to 8 rounds in Single Stack, not 10. 22 is the absolute limit to squeeze into a pariticular .40 mag for limited. 21 is a tight fit, with the right parts and a tweeked mag body.

Single stack: 40 major limited to 8 rounds, if you choose to shoot .40 minor, you can stuff 10 in there.

Back
Top Bottom