Hopkinton USPSA Season Opener, Sat April 5th

IDPA limits you to 10rnds per mag to simulate a real-world defensive situation.....ok, I'm going to cut that off there and play nice [wink]

USPSA has different divisions which are broken up by the type of gear you're allowed to use.

Production and Limited 10 both restrict the shooter to 10rnds in any mag at the sound of the buzzer.
Single Stack limits the shooter to 8rnds in a mag shooting major or 10 if shooting minor. I won't make your head explode with the actual difference so just figure if you're shooting a 45ACP you're limited to 8 and if you're shooting a 1911 in 40 or 9 then you can have 10.
Revolvers used to be limited to 6 but this year it's 6 for major and 8 for minor.
Limited and Open your capacity is restricted only by how many rounds you can stuff into a mag that fits the length limits, which are 141mm in Limited and 171mm in Open. Limited guys usually shoot 40SW and pack 22-23 per mag and Open guys are 38Super or 9mm Major and run 28-30 in the big stick.

If you work on Saturdays then check the calendar at USPSA-NE.org because USPSA day is usually Sunday....at Hopkinton we do Sat because all the Sundays were already taken by other clubs.

Crap! Now I have to decide whether to bring a Glock in 9mm with high caps or my 1911 and strip out two rounds per my 10 rnd mags........

I'd love to do a classifier, but I'm assuming once you do with a certain gun that is the division your are in going forward. Unless you do another classifier with a different gun. Correct?

Crap! Now I have to decide whether to bring a Glock in 9mm with high caps or my 1911 and strip out two rounds per my 10 rnd mags........

I'd love to do a classifier, but I'm assuming once you do with a certain gun that is the division your are in going forward. Unless you do another classifier with a different gun. Correct?

Shoot the 1911 in Limited 10. If you shoot Single Stack, the magazine must be inserted and fit inside a box. I had to cut my extended base pads on an angle to meet the requirements.
See the USPSA rules, appendix D5.

Last edited:

SIG is having a classifier this Saturday.

Also, if you classify in whatever division, that does not force you to stay in that division. You can shoot major matches unclassified. It is all up to you.

The USPSA classification system is basically a book of stages that can be setup at just about any club using limited props. These stages must be setup and run exactly the same way because that's how competitors are compared to each other nationally. Local matches will usually include one classifier stage in the match and this is the only stage that will have any bearing in your official classification (you need to be a USPSA member for it to count); the other stages are just whatever the club running the match thinks up. You need at least 4 unique classifiers on record for a division to get classified.

You can shoot in a different division every week if you like regardless of classifications. Some clubs will run a "special classifier" match that is 4-6 stages of just classifiers. People use these matches to try and level up quickly or get classified in a new division. We usually run ours around July 4th weekend because it means less thinking on our part to come up with stages as well as a little incentive to get people to the match on a holiday weekend.

So if you signup for USPSA membership and shoot the match this weekend you'll have one classifier score under your belt in whatever division you decide to shoot. But honestly your classification should be the last thing you worry about when getting started; focus on doing things safely and learning the tricks of the game from the gamers that are out there gaming the game!

Getting pretty technical in here.

If you want to play, just cone on down this Saturday. Bring whatever gun you shoot well along with plenty of mags, ammo, and a holster and mag pouches. Well find a division your gear fits.

Yes, and get used to being able to throw your partially loaded mags on the ground without anyone whining at you about it and docking you points for it. [laugh]

-Mike

And airgunning. Don't forget airgunning. I've only shot one USPSA match and being able to airgun wherever I wanted was liberating. [smile]

Wife is away for the day so I have no excuse. Time to dust off a gun and show up. It's been a good 2-3 years, so I'm flagging myself as a newbie again!!!

Way cool. It will be great to see you out on the pistol range. I have lots of 1911 mags (8&10) if you would like to borrow them for either Lim-10 or SS Division.

I'll leave my fishing vest at home. [smile]

No need, we have a trout pond. We don't care what you wear. You should SEE some of the USPSA/IPSC outfits. [laugh] I have a couple.......

Is it possible to watch without being a member?

Yes, but if you show up and don't join in the fun, I'll be sad and somewhere a puppy will die....... Well maybe not the part about the puppy. [wink]

If you have a 9mm or > handgun, a holster, and a few magazines and you can safely handle it, please consider shooting the match. I'll even mentor you through it if you wish.

And airgunning. Don't forget airgunning. I've only shot one USPSA match and being able to airgun wherever I wanted was liberating. [smile]

Ah yes, the dreaded PYFATT penalty. I did that at a Worcester match once and Gene G whispered something to me in Russian. I only speak a few words of it but immediately got his meaning. [hey Mike, don't do that]

Pointing Your Finger A The Target [smile]

Folks --

If you are at all contemplating coming to this match (and perhaps the fence pole is buried somewhere we won't discuss), please consider - this match will be the best match we have thrown thus far ! I have just come from setting up a few of the stages. Here is what is in store:

* 6 stages of awesomeness
* At least two 31/32 round field courses that will make you think (and run a bit)
* The tunnel of doom
* Side-by-side swingers
* Rodeo
* Lots of falling steel
* An easy classifier
* No target out past 15 yards

We welcome all and if you are new - we will take good care of you !

Lovingly,
Your Match Director

Way cool. It will be great to see you out on the pistol range. I have lots of 1911 mags (8&10) if you would like to borrow them for either Lim-10 or SS Division.

No need, we have a trout pond. We don't care what you wear. You should SEE some of the USPSA/IPSC outfits. [laugh] I have a couple.......

Yes, but if you show up and don't join in the fun, I'll be sad and somewhere a puppy will die....... Well maybe not the part about the puppy. [wink]

If you have a 9mm or > handgun, a holster, and a few magazines and you can safely handle it, please consider shooting the match. I'll even mentor you through it if you wish.

Ah yes, the dreaded PYFATT penalty. I did that at a Worcester match once and Gene G whispered something to me in Russian. I only speak a few words of it but immediately got his meaning. [hey Mike, don't do that]

Pointing Your Finger A The Target [smile]

That is pretty tempting and a nice offer. I have never shot a match. Not sure i am ready but definitely would like to be in one at some point.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

That is pretty tempting and a nice offer. I have never shot a match. Not sure i am ready but definitely would like to be in one at some point.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

If you can load and unload your gun, and hit an 18" wide target at 7 yards, you're ready.

If you can load and unload your gun while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and hit an 18" wide target at 7 yards, you're ready.

slight edit.....but the gist is correct. Just because there's a timer doesn't mean you HAVE to go fast and just because someone's keeping score doesn't mean you have to compete.

If you want to give it a try just bring your gear and keep your gun bagged until you talk to one of the crew about cold range procedures. We'll get you partnered up with someone who can help you through the match.

What time would this thing end ? Noonish ? Early afternoon ? Late afternoon ?
Thanks

We try to start early to finish early, so the goal is to be done by 12:30. Last season the latest any squad was still on a stage was 1:30.

I have this plea for everyone now that I'm home from setup: the 180, remember it, heed it, respect it.

I'm going to have to back out for tomorrow. Got a call from Sheldon's and my new bike is ready to be picked up tomorrow morning. Guess I'll have to miss shooting and do the less fun endeavor of riding the Harley all day...... [laugh]

Definitely next time.

I'm going to have to back out for tomorrow. Got a call from Sheldon's and my new bike is ready to be picked up tomorrow morning. Guess I'll have to miss shooting and do the less fun endeavor of riding the Harley all day...... [laugh]

Definitely next time.

Sweet ride and well worth missing ONE match. ONE!

Plenty of room to pack the gear on there for the next match for sure. Hell I pack a shotgun in my saddlebags and go skeet shooting. [grin]

Thanks to the Hopkinton crew for a great season opener. The rain held off and the mud was minimal. I guess I need to start my empty gun all the ammo on barrel starts [wink]

This.

But I'm not sure how much practice I will be able to get shooting through a barrel! [grin]

Thanks to the Hopkinton crew for a great season opener. The rain held off and the mud was minimal. I guess I need to start my empty gun all the ammo on barrel starts [wink]

Finally a stage that benefited us "vertically challenged" folks!

Great match by the folks at Hopkington! For any beginners wondering - try it out next time. But I have to remember, do not reload from slide lock!

After the barrel stage I was expecting to encounter some crates on the other stages. [laugh]. Great match guys. Hope to catch the next one.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom