Hopkinton USPSA Season Opener, Sat April 5th

Had an awesome time and will be looking out for the next one!

Thanks to everyone who helped make it a fun and safe day.

Now you guys can stop saying I'm a sandbagger, that was my first (unverified) Master classifier score.
86.28% per comcalc

Those in my squad may remember I shot that out of turn so I could run up to the clubhouse to pinch a loaf. I may have discovered how to perform at the peak of my ability...

I'll get in there and see what's up Greg...My wife made plans for us to visit some friends this evening so it may take me until tomorrow to debug....hopefully just a sync issue.

Thanks everyone for coming up. Great to see so many new shooters and some visitors from "that other action pistol sport". I have a bunch of videos to analyze to see where my match went wrong but it was good to see a lot of the usual suspects after a long winter of hibernation.

Results can be found at uspsa.org or practiscore.com; if anything is inaccurate please let me know and I'll do what I can to fix.

True to form, I performed about the middle of the pack for my class.

Btw, I really liked the use of the nook simples as the scoring platform. I just loaded practiscore on my nook color for the same purpose, I'll have to get the app on my simple to!

Now you guys can stop saying I'm a sandbagger, that was my first (unverified) Master classifier score.
86.28% per comcalc

Those in my squad may remember I shot that out of turn so I could run up to the clubhouse to pinch a loaf. I may have discovered how to perform at the peak of my ability...

Nice! About the classifier I mean.

86.28% per comcalc.

Wahoo! Well done.

Ok yuck. TMI.

Do explain!

In USPSA, with some exceptions, you can reload whenever you wish.

In IDPA, you are only allowed to reload when your gun is empty.

Imagine you have 4+1 left in the gun, and you are moving to the last array of a stage, requiring 8 shots. It would benefit you to reload while moving, and start that array with 10+1. In IDPA, not only can you not reload while moving, but you would have to shoot until empty, then reload to finish the array.

Different game, different rules. I think tabascoisnice is used to shooting IDPA, and habits are hard to break

In IDPA, you are only allowed to reload when your gun is empty.
In addition, you will be penalized if you take extra shots in order to make sure your gun is empty at an opportune time for a convenient reload.

It is part of an attempt by IDPA to be "more tactical" that USPSA, however, I have not yet found any law enforcement agency that trains their officers that they must exhaust the ammunition in their gun before reloading in a gunfight.

In addition, you will be penalized if you take extra shots in order to make sure your gun is empty at an opportune time for a convenient reload.
Not anymore - they did away with that penalty with the "new rule book" from the "tiger teams".

Also, you technically don't have to reload only when empty, you can "tactial load", which means stow a magazine as long as there is a round in the chamber (yes, even an empty magazine), and perform a reload. This is pointless now that all reloads in that game must be done flat footed.

Sounds like fun, right?

Great to see so many new shooters and some visitors from "that other action pistol sport".

As one of those other shooters, I have to admit this was a ton of fun. I'm hooked and will definitely be back. Thanks to all those who helped put on a great match.

For those on squad 5 who were wondering what happened on that last stage, it turns out I did have a squib. Neither the RO or I thought it was a squib because it didn't sound or feel like one. Luckily it was far enough back in the barrel to prevent the next round from chambering. I'm sure I'll have nightmares for the next few nights about what would have happened if it was just a little further down the barrel.

Now I have to figure out these crazy scoring rules. [grin]

Great match. Great people. Great weather. What a terrific way to spend a morning. Thank you very much to all the guys who worked to assemble the stages and run the match. Excellent job.

Do explain!

And for me it meant remembering basic math ALSO...ten bullets equals ten shots...and not Miami Vice's infinite magical gun. So when I shot three bullets at a target instead of two...you run dry on your fifth target. Darn basic math. JVC, you a MVGC member (I'm a member there also)? Let me know if make the next USPSA at one of the other clubs and we can squad-up. Cheers

And for me it meant remembering basic math ALSO...ten bullets equals ten shots...and not Miami Vice's infinite magical gun. So when I shot three bullets at a target instead of two...you run dry on your fifth target. Darn basic math. JVC, you a MVGC member (I'm a member there also)? Let me know if make the next USPSA at one of the other clubs and we can squad-up. Cheers

Are you going to the one on April 13th at MVGC? I plan on it.

Thanks for the info everyone, I wasn't aware of those major differences between IDPA and USPSA

HSA threw it down today. Great stages! We'll have to step our game at NB. You guys did a great job - Thx!

Now I have to figure out these crazy scoring rules. [grin]

It takes a little getting used to, coming from IDPA. IDPA is a points down, USPSA is a points system. The IDPA metric dimensions are time: Lack of accuracy and penalties are turned into time.

IDPA = raw time + penalties (inaccuracy, procedurals) converted to time

USPSA metric dimensions are points/time, or hit factor. Penalties are in terms of points, they get subtracted from the points you earn.

USPSA HF = (points earned - penalties)/time

For each division you are awarded stage points based on how your hit factor compares to others in your division. Think of it as getting graded on a curve, but each division has its own curve. The stage points are based on the number of points (how many paper targets and steel) are available. So this makes 32 round stages count more than a 6-shot classifier in a match.

The simple version is that misses suck, don't miss. No shoots suck, don't shoot them. Procedural penalties suck, don't make them (BTW: some can be for every shot fired, so they add up fast).

The simple version is that misses suck, don't miss. No shoots suck, don't shoot them. Procedural penalties suck, don't make them (BTW: some can be for every shot fired, so they add up fast).
You mean "No Shoots suck, don't not shoot them"
Well depends. Difficult target behind hostage. 2 shots. Worst case, 2 hits on hostage. -20 that is more than the 2 alpha you would get if you are perfect.
A no shoot is a -10. So you might just skip on the risky target and take the 10 seconds penalty if you are not sure of yourself ?

- - - Updated - - -

HSA threw it down today. Great stages! We'll have to step our game at NB. You guys did a great job - Thx!
THIS... absolutely

Well depends. Difficult target behind hostage. 2 shots. Worst case, 2 hits on hostage. -20 that is more than the 2 alpha you would get if you are perfect.
A no shoot is a -10. So you might just skip on the risky target and take the 10 seconds penalty if you are not sure of yourself ?
If you do not engage a target, it is a 10 point "Failure to Engage" penalty, minus any points you could have earned from that target - 2 alphas = 10 points, so you lose 20 points right there.

Edit: if you go for it, and miss 2 times, and hit the hostage twice, it is 2 Mike, 2 No shoot, +(not getting 2 alphas) = losing 50 points.

No, I should have said don't HIT them [wink]

In your example
Best case 2A: +10 points
Worst case: 2M 2NS: -40 points

added: If you skip it completely you would get 2M Failure to Engage FTE: -30 points

(actually the worst case would be continuing to shoot and getting more than 2 NS)

Last edited:
Note to all of the folks who stayed for a few extra minutes to help clear the bays and put away the props. - Big help - Thank You! Look forward to seeing you all again.
Cheers
Bob

Back
Top Bottom