HOOORRRRAAAAAY !

I can't apologize enough for the extended outage. I will be moving to a new host as quickly as I can secure a VPS that I feel comfortable with.

No worries here, it was out of your hands. Good luck finding a new host.

Finally, it's back. I was getting too much work done. I was afraid that my boss was going to start expecting that much out of me...

Thanks Derek.

Great work recovering all the data.

I use dedicated servers from www.theplanet.com. Their service is pretty decent, however, adding a support contract from www.totalserversolutions.com will get you high quality experts on a 24x7 basis for about $70/month extra. Even if you know how to do everything your self, it's cool to be able to file a ticket at 1AM, get a response for someone in Uruguay 5 minutes later, and know they will be working continously until the problem is resolved. Been there, done that :). The planet is in Dallas; TSS is in Uruguay.

I'll repeat what the title says: HOOOOOORRRAAAAAY!!!

It's amazing how you don't realize how often you visit a site until you can't visit it anymore...err...well...you can't actually visit it, I visited that damn error page a good number of times an hour [smile]

Good work on getting us back, Derek! I know how these outages go, I hope you had a nice cold one when you were done (or maybe more than one). We were getting worried, rumor was that other sites by the same host had lost months of posts!

NES was down?

[rofl] [laugh2] [laugh]

I can't apologize enough for the extended outage. I will be moving to a new host as quickly as I can secure a VPS that I feel comfortable with.

It's not your fault. You have to trust that people you hire for services are doing the right thing . . . until you find out that they aren't and then it's time to sever ties and move on.

I'm sure that it was more aggravating for you than any of us . . . even though we really truly missed this place we call "home".

Keep up the good work and thanks again for giving us this great community of friends!

The site is at IP 72.46.126.127

The DNS name servers are

NS1.VEGASVIPNETWORKS.COM 72.46.126.130
NS2.VEGASVIPNETWORKS.COM 72.46.126.130
NS3.VEGASVIPNETWORKS.COM 72.46.126.130

It's generally considered bad form to use the same server for each of your redundant nameservers. It's also redundant having a tertiary nameserver when it's not on a unique IP.

What's more, it's considered bad practice to have all of the nameservers on the same subnetwork as the host. And at least one of the nameservers should be on a completely independent network, as much as possible. Otherwise when you get an outage at your network, you disappear into a DNS black hole, and
all the other mechanisms that need name server info, like secondary MX addresses, etc, are not usable.

Great to see it back up. I had just finished filling a thousand sandbags for the shelter and welding the steel plates over my windows, glad I can stop now. I'm giving the all clear signal to the watch towers. Thanks Derek.

Thanks for everything. I tried posting this thank you last night but I'm unsure if it went through. I missed this place and a of you while I was gone. I hope to go green soon as the check was sent out late last week, but I'm sure the outage didn't help my chances of that happening any quicker haha.

awesome...now my distraction is BACK!

Thanks for getting us back on line AND recovering everything.

No worries. I'm sure it was a lot worse for you than it was for us. As BigRed said the best $20 I've ever spent.

Like everyone else, I am glad to see things are back to normal. Derek, if you need a donation of $$ to move to a more secure/redundant server, host, whatever, (I don't know all the intricacies of this interweb stuff! [laugh]) please let me know.

When I checked email and got notices of PM's it took me second or two to realize "Hey! NES must be back up!!!" My bride was getting spoiled over the last few days. I actually had a conversation or two with her. [wink]

No apologies needed. I'm sure many on here know what it's like dealing with hosting companies and similar vendors.

They must seriously suck to be down for 5 days or whatever it was. I'll check around with friends to see if there are any recommended hosting providers.

Glad to see we're back up and running...I thought it was my computer and that all of you were enjoying NES without me...glad we're back!

I was really pissed as this outage showed me that I am way too sucked into sites on the net this one included.

Its a nice diversion but it shouldnt rule my life like it seems to do.

I was forced to visit THR and saw this thread.

It talks about Eddie Coyle in the last few posts, gee who there would know about our EC. Evil laugh.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=523517#post6503738

Back
Top Bottom