• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home made insect repellant.

jmjkd

Instructor
For the folks that would rather go chemical free, here are a few suggestions for bug repellant...
BUT research it yourself because we are using plants for their repellant properties.

First option.
This was told by an old Native American.
Eat one seed stalk from plantain every day for 1- week in spring and the odor will come out your pours and the bugs hate it, but people can’t smell it.

Second option.
Make a decoction from the Yarrow plant.
This would be a prep from last summer until now.
1. In late August pick a jar full of Yarrow stems, flowers and leaves..
2. Put the Yarrow in a dark bottled filled with 90pr alcohol or close to it. let sit in a cool, dark place for at least 3- months or until the plant has been broken down.
This will leach the properties from the plant.
3. Slowly warm olive oil in a pan and slowly pour the extract into the oil. Bring up the heat. The alcohol will pool up and evaporate into the air leaving the properties of the Yarrow plant in the olive oil.

I have been told that the Military has tested Yarrow and has suggested it repels better then Deet. I guess we will be the judge of that.
I use these two methods now and found they work, I don’t break out, or feel any different and the bugs stay away. BUT check and research because anything can happen when dealing with nature and allergic reactions and everyone is different..

BUT!!!! absolutely, positively identify the plant with a field guide until you know it. Especially the Yarrow because it looks a lot like poison hemlock and they grow in fields and roadsides right next to each other. Smell, touch and taste in very small portions and give your body time to react.

Some of the pro’s are
People with dark skin get a nice tan.
It can be used to cook
lubricate tools
Preserve leather and a host of all duties where a preservative/lubricate may be used.
A small spray bottle in you kit can’t hurt.

Some of the con’s
Inconvenient to carry
Allergies
Fair skinned people can burn in summer because of the oil.

For all that I'd prefer to spend a few bucks for a couple of bottles of "Old Woodsman". It's all natural and smells like....well it smells but boy-oh-boy does it repel anything that bites. I've used it for almost 40 years and swear by the stuff. Knowing how to make homemade stuff is helpful but, in the scheme of things, having some Old Woodsman is mandatory in all my gear packs and a bottle will last literally years. Ya just have to make sure EVERYONE has it one, including your spouse. Trust me. It's been made since the last 1800s and still works today. (No DEET, either)

Check it out: http://www.predatorpee.com/old_woodsman.html

Rome

I'm getting an error when I go to buy from there:

Miva Merchant has encountered a fatal error and is unable to continue. The following information may assist you in determining the cause of the error:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Error Code: [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] MER-DTB-00022 [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Description: [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Category 'BUG' not found [/SIZE][/FONT]

White Mountain Insect repellent works well, I have also found that a bottle off peppermint oil and lemon grass oil mixed with either witch hazel or cooking oil (I use olive) works well at repelling them, Cinnamon, Clove and citronella oils also work well.

mud is also effective in preventing bites

Nice Boghog, now that’s what I like, making your own recipes…btw That is exactly what they did in the 1800’s way before ole time.…;-)
here is something else to consider

Bug Soap on steroids.
Continuing with the (GET THE BUGS OFF ME ) theme. Bug Soap can be made from the traditional Tallow/Lard process. However, this can be very time consuming and laborious. A quick down and dirty way would be to melt down castile soap to a liquid state, then leach the oil from garlic cloves and make an infusion with a few drops of citronella oil, plus a dash of the home made yarrow bug spray. And BAM!!! Bug Soap.

You will absolutely stink. BUT it’s all natural, you made it yourself so you know exactly the ingredients in it ( no secrets here) and for the $$$$ you will get a good batch compared to a few ounces store bought. And the bugs and everyone around you will know when you are present.

As an extra blast!!! save some of the garlic extract and the night prior to leaving, take a teaspoon before bed then a half teaspoon every night while out. You won’t be able to stand yourself…:)

Once again proceed with caution when using any plants or herbs.

I knew I would find this
Woodsman recipe
3 oz coal oil
1 oz camphor
1 oz oil of pennyroyal
1 oz olive oil
2 oz citronella
3 oz pine tar

Based on an old AMC recipe
1 Large tube carbolated vasiline
1 oz creosote
1 oz camphor
1 oz oil of pennyroyal
1 oz olive oil
2 oz citronella
3 oz pine tar

Last edited:
I use to work for a Herb farm (not that kind of Herb) and the old lady that owned the place would put goats milk in a spray bottle and spray herself in goats milk to keep bugs away. I kindly declined and would deet up

Hi business, I don’t condone DEET or any chemical folks want to use. I prefer chemical free a more natural repellent, but to each his own.

Also I wanted to provoke the idea’s and the learning of some of the old ways, $$$ saving ways, kinda, wisdom of the ages thinking, using infusions, concoctions etc that you can make out in the woods using ingredients that have multiple uses. Like Garlic that has so much medicinal value, and keeping with
( 1 is none and 2 is one concept.) Stuff I usually carry in my pack to make a variety of things

That was the theme I was going with…I would certainly use DEET if that was all I had and also, DEET aerosol repellant can be used as a self defense weapon as well as a flammable fire accelerant. So it’s still not bad to carry in your pack I just don’t like absorbing it into my skin.

So I was up in Conway last week and I went to Zeb's. I happened to see them selling Ole Time Woodsman Fly Dope. I remember people saying they liked it so I thought I would give it a try. This stuff has to be the worst smelling concoction I ever smelled. Dare I call it - Liquid Ass. It not only repels bugs, it repels people and animals. I am wondering...what doesn't it repel??

You got the right stuff. We renamed it Uncle Lem's Horse Piss. After about an hour you'll forget you have it on and then go into town. Woohoo! Guess where you've been! But it does work especially against those nasty black flies early in the seaon. It's great stuff and has been around forever.

Rome

My girlfriend wasn't too pleased with the smell of it! She did however like bug tape I bought. It caught most of the annoying deer flies but I found this guy on youtube saying you can just use duct tape

Boghog1, I’m just curious where you found the recipe? I’m trying to find coal tar oil so I can make it myself. I’m allergic to deet.
I know years ago it was easily available everywhere. I must be available in some form since ole woodsman uses it still. Any help would be appreciated.

I find washing clothes with just water, not using soap or shampoo on your body, and wearing 3 day unwashed clothes coupled with going out with someone who knows nothing about the outdoors as bait for the bugs solves most issue..

It sound like poor hygiene, but if your going to be arm deep in an animal or covered in fish guts, clean clothes arent high on my priorites.. or atleast not as high as not being eaten alive.

The off deep woods 98.25% deet is priceless (incase you are stupid its suppose to be used on your clothes not your skin)

The best trick is a simple boonie hat it keeps the bugs off your head and out of your eyes and ears....i like to take a new one, waterproof it and soak it in deet then never wash it again orher than rain.

Even with all this ive had over 60 tick bites last year and pulled hundreds off crawling on me.ticks dont bother me its misquotes and black Flys that bring me to the edge of sanity

Back
Top Bottom