HK93 / HK53 - Anyone have one?

Do you own, or have you used an HK93 or 53? What is your opinion of them?
I'm really interested in the idea of an SBR right now, and a preban hk93 modded
to an hk53 would certainly fit my wish list of firearm features. I know an
AR is cheaper and common, but they just don't feel right. Other than
price (and the forward charging handle) does anyone have any complaints?

F

What doesn't feel right about the AR? There must be hundreds of aftermarket grips, handguards, stocks, sights out there.

Sorry, don't know much about the 93 other than price. [sad2] Vector Arms makes a copy you can buy from Atlantic Firearms (and probably other places for cheaper) for ~$1100.

I had a chance to check out HK 93 at a local gunstore. Personally, I found it to be allright. However, I was unable to manipulate neither the safety nor magazine release wihout relinquishing my firing grip. I have medium sized hands.
Personally, I would go the AR route given the price/ergonomics/spare parts issues.

I bought my HK93A2 brand new in 1985 for $608.00 - It now has an unimagineable round count, (lost count at 50,000 rounds many years ago) and still runs like a top. Both weapons have their merit, but the HK in my view is a more robust, accurate and maintenance free firearm. On a bet, I once went 11,000 rounds without cleaning before a stoppage and I still maintain it was an ammo-related failure - oh well. The only issue I had after that was a "cooked" appearance to the bolt - which remains to this day. Other than that, the gun is perfect. It has it's quirks, but once you get used to them, you'll understand just how magnificent a rifle you have.

I have no experience with the HK53, (I have fired a full auto 51 - WOW!) but do know that both Vector and Ohio Rapid Fire both make a copy that will cost you much less than the huge price tag on an original HK - coupled with the cost of SBR-ing it properly.

I also have an AR, (Colt) and I love it, but always choose my HK first.....

Ok Mark, now you definitely need to come to our appleseed. [smile]

How is it on brass? My only .223 rifle right now is a SAR 3 which totally destroys brass so I've decided not to even bother reloading that caliber and just feed it steel cased Wolf.

Last edited:
Ok Mark, now you definitely need to come to our appleseed. [smile]

How is it on brass? My only .223 rifle right now is a SAR 3 which totally destroys brass so I've decided not to even bother reloading that caliber and just feed it steel cased Wolf.

It wastes brass...I've known people with far more patience than I who reload HK brass. The fluted chamber does a number on it.....Some comes out good, just flute marked, but much of it goes to scrap-city... [grin]

ive never done anything with the semi autos but ive done ALOT of shooting with the full autos (mp5,hk33, and even on occasion a 51) and i love them. i think they feel and shoot alot better. it i was gonna SBR anything though id get a 91 and have it shortened to a 51.

ive never done anything with the semi autos but ive done ALOT of shooting with the full autos (mp5,hk33, and even on occasion a 51) and i love them. i think they feel and shoot alot better. it i was gonna SBR anything though id get a 91 and have it shortened to a 51.

Actually, I was thinking that as well. With JLD PTR's available for a song, (so to speak compared to HK's)...The 51 makes most sense and is so badass.. I have to dig for the pics of me shooting one out in Ohio, (they're on film). It was not much larger than an MP5 and tossed a flameball that was surreal. The mag dumps literally took your breath away....

Back
Top Bottom