Hk45c vs. Glock 30 gen 4

tripper

NES Member
Ok, im having a terrible time deciding between the two! Can anybody with experience with both chime in on the pros and cons of these two options?

If you where in any other state but Massachusetts you'd be able to buy two Glocks for the price of the H&K but "thankfully" they should be about the same price...
Having said that I've had the M&P 45c for few months and love it. Maybe you should throw that in the mix too?

ive fired both trigger systems in diffrent models, and i would be using it for home defense and occasional carry. the m&p might be pushing the size limit as is maybe the hk. i was mostly wondering about accuracy, recoil, and thoughts on size or any thing that might come to mind.

I have shot both the hk45 and the glock 21 to compare

Recoil glock wins hands down

Width of grip hk wins

For carry get a 30s and win with capacity and carry characteristics

Both guns are great for hd , though im biased with all my glocks.

reall! wow, all you ever hear is people saying how soft the hk shoots....thats is very good to hear!

I have shot both the hk45 and the glock 21 to compare

Recoil glock wins hands down

Width of grip hk wins

For carry get a 30s and win with capacity and carry characteristics

Both guns are great for hd , though im biased with all my glocks.

I had a Gen 3 Glock 30 SF. It was frankly a P.O.S. it was an unreliable gun at best running factory Ball ammo. and nonfunctional with reloads and protection ammo. I have some unreliable guns that I like( mostly 1911's) but they are range guns. the glock 30 is a defensive gun and any unreliability is unacceptable. It was looked at and they said nothing is wrong with it. It also had the most felt recoil of any of my polymer framed guns including my Glock 20 (10mm). I have both the HK usp compacts in 9mm and 45 and the full size USP's in both cal's And the HK45 full size. they are vastly superior guns. but you pay for that. I also have M&P 45 and M&P45c which are better guns( once the Mass trigger is fixed) and are at a similar price point. I am not saying that Glocks are bad. I have a 19, 20 21 and 34 and they are great, but the 30 needs to go back to the designers.

my two cents. I am a big guy and shoot many different guns on a regular basis. Surprisingly I carry a S&W shield 9mm. 40 and 45 in compact models are in MHO very hard to control. I know many of my friends and fellow employees carry the 9mm because of the controllability. With the defense ammo of today, 9mm is more than enough for self defense

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to correct myself...I am referring to sub compact guns, like Glock 26, 27, kel techs, M&Pc models

my two cents. I am a big guy and shoot many different guns on a regular basis. Surprisingly I carry a S&W shield 9mm. 40 and 45 in compact models are in MHO very hard to control. I know many of my friends and fellow employees carry the 9mm because of the controllability. With the defense ammo of today, 9mm is more than enough for self defense

- - - Updated - - -

went out shooting tonight at AFS, and rented their Glock 30 to compare to my 26, 19 and 21..
Going to give my observations:

1. Recoiled more than the 21sf
2. Had less "flip" than my 21sf at the cost of hitting more to the back of the web of thumb/index area
3. I know it wasnt the sf but i felt i could not get a secure drawstroke ccw wise with it because of its girth.(this is sans-mag to represent a 9 round mag). Tried it with the 10 round mag , got pinky pinched a few times, and looked at the length with the regular 10 round mag and it was the size of the 19 but the grip was alot bigger around more than even the 21sf. the length of the grip was about 0.71 inchs difference so at that point with the standard mag it wasnt too much different than my 21.

I was a nice idea at the time but there is a reason people love the 9/40/357 sized frames for ccw.

I one side note, i had left my 26 sitting in the safe and carrying my 19 , shot both 9's tonight, and remembered why i fell in love with glock , because of how great that 26 shoots

yeh the 30s will add more more recoil on top of the regular 30 platform. i shot the glock 66, (30 frame with 36 slide) and it recoiled about the same as the glock 36 from what i remember.

I shot a Glock 30 and a full size, stainless 1911. I compared them side-by-side, with the same ammo. I think the 1911 doesn't have much recoil. I thought that the Glock 30 had even less felt recoil.

I haven't shot an HK 45c. I do have an HK USPc .45. Personally, I think the USPc .45 has significantly more felt recoil than a 1911, and a heck of a lot more muzzle flip. My USPc is DA/SA. The SA trigger is, at best, OK. The DA trigger is downright horrible. I've competed with K-frame revolvers, shooting them DA in IDPA matches, so I'm used to long, somewhat heavy triggers, but the USPc DA trigger is just awful. I'd call it unusable. I'm also not a fan of the HK magazine release.

Given the choice between an HK 45c and a Glock 30, I'd take the Glock 30 all day long and twice on Sunday.

I shot a 30sf, 30 Gen 3 and 4. Of these the 30 gen4 is what I liked the most. Pinky pinch is a possibility. I've shot a s&w pro 1911 (3" 45) and that defines unbearable recoil for me. The 30 is a pleasure to shoot especially the gen 4. Another fun gun to try is the xds and/or xdm...

wow, this is getting interesting... hk45c on the internet articles says it is bar none the 45 to get,best grip lowest recoil etc (though people arent the happiest with the trigger) the glock 30 is also according to many one of the softest shooting 45's out there. i have a line on an hk45c used and ive found a place to purchase gen 4 glocks at good prices so now im even more on the fence lol! lets throw this into the mix... m&p 45c thoughts?
on a side note i just shot a gen 4 g19 and im getting one!

Tripper, internet gun forums draw a lot of fan boys who are not exactly objective when it comes to the object of their affection. For many, the more expensive, rare, and unusual the firearm, the better they think it is (I'm looking at you, HK P7). Unfortunately, many of them haven't compared the guns side by side.

For example, a lot of 1911 fan boys will claim that the 1911 is the finest gun out there. It does indeed have the finest trigger (once you get a good trigger job). It also has a modest grip circumference that allows it to fit most hands. The safety and slide stop are in the correct place and generously sized. But they are large, heavy, have low capacity, and are slower to reload due to the narrow magazine well. Most importantly, however, 1911s are prone to feedway stoppages.

The USPc is accurate and reliable. The slide stop is properly located and generously sized. The safety is properly located but the shape just doesn't feel right compared to a 1911 safety. I've already discussed the issues with the horrid trigger. The USPc is light (good), but that light weight combined with the high bore axis result in a lot of muzzle rise (bad).

A lot of fan boys point to the ambi magazine release as being an advanced and important feature. If you are not a lefty, how important is it? Personally, I don't like the HK mag release. It is too far forward for me to comfortably reach it with my right thumb. It is relatively stiff. I can operate it with my index finger, but it is awkward and now I have to learn a manual of arms that is unique to the HK. In addition, I'm just not happy operating a control with my trigger finger that is also adjacent to the trigger - to me that seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

The HK45c was an attempt to fix many of the problems in the USPc. Add in the fact that Larry Vickers was involved in its development and you get a lot of fan boy attraction. I haven't shot one. I'd like to. But I doubt it is dramatically better than many other guns put there. It will have its good points and its bad points. I will say that in IDPA matches, the folks shooting 45acp semi autos are typically shooting Glocks or 1911s. On rare occasion I see a SIG P220. I've never seen a 45 HK. I have seen an HK 9mm once or twice.

Glocks have many advantages. They are moderately priced. They have a very low bore axis and very short trigger reset, which allows them to be shot very quickly. The slide stop is in the correct place but too small. Fortunately, if you seat the magazine forcefully enough, the slide will fall without having to use the slide stop. The downsides of the Glock include the fact that the trigger just isn't great. You can do a trigger job very easily and that helps but it will never be a 1911 trigger. The striker fired system gives it a very smooth slide, with no protruding hammer to snag on anything. But if you run a reduced strength striker spring to improve the trigger feel you may end up having light strike issues (something I see often in matches). Glocks are the most common gun in IDPA matches and many master level shooters use them with great success. The most common Glocks that I see are 34, 17, 19, and 21.

For the price you cant beat the mp45c with trigger work. But i am a glock lover and would never let my G30 go. Its a decent size for a compact gun, recoil is definatly no problem. Capacity is another issue, no high cap mags in mass for the hk, Only downside to a glock, if you reload or shoot reloads.. Nono for a glock. Me personally, go with a glock!!

For the price you cant beat the mp45c with trigger work. But i am a glock lover and would never let my G30 go. Its a decent size for a compact gun, recoil is definatly no problem. Capacity is another issue, no high cap mags in mass for the hk, Only downside to a glock, if you reload or shoot reloads.. Nono for a glock. Me personally, go with a glock!!

Reloads are fine for Glocks. Just don't use bare lead bullets in any gun with polygonal rifling unless you use caution. I reload using plated bullets and they work just fine in my Glock 34.

I reload using plastic coated swaged bullets by precisionbullets.com and they work great in all my Glocks. Accurate and very clean. Every once in a while I pull a Lewis lead remover screen through the barrel and nothing ever comes out. Its tough to beat about $80 for 1000 9mm bullets. Especially when there are none of the issues you have with cast bullets. Oh yeah, and my dies stay as clean as if I'm using jacketed bullets.

BTW - There is a known issue with reloading plated bullets for HKs. Its not a safety issue, but sometimes they tumble and keyhole. I have no idea why.

Last edited:
Ok, im having a terrible time deciding between the two! Can anybody with experience with both chime in on the pros and cons of these two options?

HK45c(w/LEM) is a softer shooter than the Glock 30 gen4 and 30s. As a owner of all 3 I find that the HK45c has a better trigger, is more accurate, and the ergonomics fit my hands better. You honestly just need to at least hold both to see what feels better in your hand.

If you don't mind a slightly larger gun check out the FNx45 or the FNs line and the PX4 Storm. Between my HK, FN's and my one PX4 storm I don't ever touch any of my 7 Glocks anymore. They are all dust collectors now.

But to me choosing a Glock over a HK would be like me choosing a Honda over my Benz(which I would never do).

Back
Top Bottom