High capacity magazine use out of state

I am going to take a class in New Hampshire with my m&p. A buddy of mine owns several high capacity magazines in NH and is willing to let me use them during the class. My questions is, is there any legal issue with using the magazine in NH and not returning to mass with it?

Last edited:
Yes. High capacity magazines are light a virus. They infect any firearm they touch with their putrid killyness. Any firearms which have contact with such magazines must be quarantined out of state.

BTW, it's possible that some of what I just said might be false. [wink]

Let me be the first in this {slightly rough around the edges} crowd to say WELCOME TO NES! [wave]

When in NH, all you have to worry about is NH law. I don't know what the NH law is on 10+ mags, but it can't be as bat-shit crazy as MA law.

Let me be the first in this {slightly rough around the edges} crowd to say WELCOME TO NES! [wave]

When in NH, all you have to worry about is NH law. I don't know what the NH law is on 10+ mags, but it can't be as bat-shit crazy as MA law.

It's like most of the country where nobody gives a damn, they're not regulated items.

I heard the AG had all MA guns outfitted with a device that will lock your firearm forever if you insert a high cap magazine [thinking]

I heard the AG had all MA guns outfitted with a device that will lock your firearm forever if you insert a high cap magazine [thinking]

Sort of, once a normal mag is inserted into the gun, it no longer complies with ma awb forever whether you switch back to neutered mags or not.

What law on magazines? AFAIK there are none, or at least 33 round Glock 18 magazines are fully legal, accepted, and encouraged.

(seriously in NH you can count the gun laws with about 4 fingers)

What law on magazines? AFAIK there are none, or at least 33 round Glock 18 magazines are fully legal, accepted, and encouraged.

(seriously in NH you can count the gun laws with about 4 fingers)

You must count differently than I do. I only use one finger to count gun control laws.

Sort of, once a normal mag is inserted into the gun, it no longer complies with ma awb forever whether you switch back to neutered mags or not.

Sadly that's not so far-fetched under the current administration. Their "once an AW, always an AW" is so close that this would just be a natural progression to their warped mind thinking.

There is no crazy laws about this. We don't give a shit what kind of magazines you use in your firearms. That's your business. [laugh]

Don't MA guns just spit the high cap right out when you tried to load it.

[laugh] Mine is a rebel.

To the OP, I really hope you're not losing sleep over this.

What you do in NH, stays there. Whether it's touching a hi-cap mag or doing something while intoxicated, it stays there. NH is heaven on earth.

Normal capacity, not high capacity.

Your MA mags are cripple capacity or low capacity. I'm so tired of hearing people call them high capacity, as if it's somehow excessive. Stop falling into the anti trap. It's like calling you AR an assault rifle.

Repeat after me, NORMAL CAPACITY.

Normal capacity, not high capacity.

Your MA mags are cripple capacity or low capacity. I'm so tired of hearing people call them high capacity, as if it's somehow excessive. Stop falling into the anti trap. It's like calling you AR an assault rifle.

Repeat after me, NORMAL CAPACITY.

Agreed. I want to pistol whip people who say high capacity, but they are usually new shooters confused by our bullshit laws.

Don't be giving them any ideas!!!!

Sadly that's not so far-fetched under the current administration. Their "once an AW, always an AW" is so close that this would just be a natural progression to their warped mind thinking.

I am going to take a class in New Hampshire with my m&p. A buddy of mine owns several high capacity magazines in NH and is willing to let me use them during the class. My questions is, is there any legal issue with using the magazine in NH and not returning to mass with it?

Not sure if serious. Seriously? The insane laws in MA do not follow you onto the other side of the border.

-Mike

Lacking any state law, federal rules apply. Lacking any Federal law, go wild!

To quote GONH "There is no limit to the size or capacity of a magazine in New Hampshire, the only limitation is engineering and your physical strength"

There aren't many states which regulate magazines.
[thinking]
The NH law on 10+ magazines is like the NH law on switchblades... it doesn't exist.. You're welcome to buy all the "standard capacity" magazines you want up here, I'll be happy to keep an eye on them for you while you work on changing your state of residency.

Last edited:
I would like to know why people keep asking NH questions in the MA forum?

If you as an MA resident buy something in NH, you're "supposed" to pay sales tax on it when you file. MA laws sometimes genuinely do follow subjects across the border.

Is it okay in MA to block a high capacity mag to 10 rounds or does it have to be manufactured to only accept 10 rounds?

If you as an MA resident buy something in NH, you're "supposed" to pay sales tax on it when you file. MA laws sometimes genuinely do follow subjects across the border.

Also as we know MA law can certainly affect out of state behavior - ammo sellers not shipping to MA.

Is it okay in MA to block a high capacity mag to 10 rounds or does it have to be manufactured to only accept 10 rounds?

Untested area of law.

My bet is that a DA would prosecute and a judge would agree in MA. Lack of knowledge but a firm conviction can be an important asset in persecuting <non> crime and making it sound good on the evening news.

Untested area of law.

My bet is that a DA would prosecute and a judge would agree in MA. Lack of knowledge but a firm conviction can be an important asset in persecuting <non> crime and making it sound good on the evening news.

Thanks Len. I don't think I'll let myself be the precedent. I was just curious more than anything. I did look at the law, but it's so vague (likely intentional) that I couldn't decide and figured I'd ask the question.

Untested area of law.

I would surmise that unless the insert permanently makes the mag 10 rounds or less, e.g., it is welded and non-removable, then a judge would say that you have a large capacity feeding device as it would be capable (in certain configurations) of accepting more than 10 rounds. Just because it is not currently configured as such does not mean it could not be configured that way.

Note the definition of large capacity feeding device in M.G.L. Ch. 140, Sec. 121 “Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition..."

The fact we even have these questions asked is proof positive of our ****ed up laws.

Back
Top Bottom