• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with possible Barrett 50 cal purchase in MA.

I am considering adding a Barrett M82 50BMG to my collection but had a couple of questions regarding the purchase. I am familiar with the handgun laws but unfamiliar with the rifle laws. Can I purchaser it from out of state and transfer it thou a dealer???? Are there any kind of restrictions as there are for hand guns? I am aware that there is a movement in MA to possibly ban 50cal rifles, how would that affect me if it actually took place???
I apologise for the ignorance, but this would be my first rifle.
Thanks for the help
Tarek

badllama said:
I am considering adding a Barrett M82 50BMG to my collection but had a couple of questions regarding the purchase. I am familiar with the handgun laws but unfamiliar with the rifle laws. Can I purchaser it from out of state and transfer it thou a dealer???? Are there any kind of restrictions as there are for hand guns? I am aware that there is a movement in MA to possibly ban 50cal rifles, how would that affect me if it actually took place???
I apologise for the ignorance, but this would be my first rifle.
Thanks for the help
Tarek
Buy away. Right now the rifle is legal. If purchased via mail order out of state, yes it must be transfered through an 01FFL. The only restriction is that it would have to not be an "Assault Weapon" as we still have the ban in full force.
Who knows what would happen if they are outlawed in the furture. They may require a registration or want you to turn in it.
Jon

Edited to add: A 50BMG as a first rifle???

Tarek,

Transfer laws are the same for all rifles, including the Barrett.

You likely will find some dealers that won't want to touch it (non-PC) and if that is the case, you might order it thru a NH FFL for pickup at his shop (perfectly legal), then do the FA-10 as registration when you get it home.

I am also sure that most gun clubs won't let you fire it on their ranges. PC issues and legit issues with strength of their backstops.

As the bill is currently written, I think it calls for confiscation with NO reimbursement! If it passes into law (I give it a 50-50 chance), you would have to either get it out of state or give it to the PD for $0.00. Recognize that even if they did compensate you, it would likely be no more than a small fraction of the actual value.

For those that will cite the US Constitution about confiscation of personal property . . . the US Constitution has been null and void in MA for a very long time! Ask the folks in CA that owned SKS' . . . they registered them and then the state confiscated them in lieu of persecution . . . no reimbursement. Don't expect the courts to stand up against this nonsense either . . . it is non-PC!

LenS said:
Tarek,
Ask the folks in CA that owned SKS' . . . they registered them and then the state confiscated them in lieu of persecution . . . no reimbursement. Don't expect the courts to stand up against this nonsense either . . . it is non-PC!
First, there was a registration chance which expired. The SKS's were not on the list of guns which had tobe registered, and the CA DOJ was telling people they were not AW's.

The CA govt decided that the SKS's belonged on the list due to the availability of a magazine adapter kit, and extended the deadline. One of the gun control groups (you know, the ones who say they don't want to ban guns, only keep them out of the wrong hands) filed suit, and won a court order which established that the deadline could not be extended, and the confiscation thus began. I think ther e was some payment made for these SKS's, but it was indeed a forced removal or surrender to the state.

Back
Top Bottom