Help remove Squib

I was at the range today firing Remington 40 ammo when something didn't feel right. I got a squib round. Any info on the best way to remove the projectile from the barrel.
thanks in advance

brass rod and a hammer

ETA

i'm way to slow. thats what happens when I open a bunch of posts, each in it own window

If you have a hanger that has the wood bar on the bottom to keep your pants from slipping off the hanger, use that. Put the wood dowel down the bbl and smack away with a hammer.

Should I work it back towards the trigger or pass it threw as if it was going out the end of the barrel.
And should I soak the inside of the barrel with gun scrub or something

pass it through

Bad answer.

Knock it out whichever way is shorter.

Don't use gun scrubber. Drip a little Kroil in there if you have some. Otherwise, just leave it as it is.

If you're close to Groton, come over and I'll get it out for you.

Last edited:
I love this place. Thanks guys. I was going to use wood but I figured I would check before I screwed something up.

thanks Eddie but I'm a little ways away. I will back it out. Im not sure if I should fire the other 80 rounds or Remington or what.

Last edited:
Bad answer.

Knock it out whichever way is shorter.

Don't use gun scrubber. Drip a little Kroil in there if you have some. Otherwise, just leave it as it is.

If you're close to Groton, come over and I'll get it out for you.

I don't like taking chances screwing up my crown, so that's where I'm coming from, but as long as you're using a dowel I guess it doesn't matter.

On the last squib, I used a wooden dowel, a gun smithing hammer and and a lot of swearing and throwing things, but they proved ineffective. I now have a caliber speific brass rod, ( brownells) 3lb drill hammer, and would also use oil.

The 3lb hammer is probably overkill.

I don't like taking chances screwing up my crown, so that's where I'm coming from, but as long as you're using a dowel I guess it doesn't matter.

Unless the squib is right near the muzzle, it's always easier to get it out towards the breech.

I'm the defacto 'gun fixer' at my club, and I've had a lot of people bring handguns over to my house and asked me to clear squibs.

Rockrivr1 nailed it with the hanger rod, but I use the bottom of a plastic hanger. They work for anything .40 and larger. I put a piece of plastic hanger into the barrel, and use a a wood-jawed patternmaker's vise to press the bullet out backwards towards the breech. Once the bullet gets to the chamber, it falls right out. You can't do that through the muzzle.

Smack it out with one the aforementioned tools, and then drop the barrel BACK into the slide (muzzle to muzzle). If it had trouble going through, you probably have a bulge in your barrel.

Smack it out with one the aforementioned tools, and then drop the barrel BACK into the slide (muzzle to muzzle). If it had trouble going through, you probably have a bulge in your barrel.

That doesn't make any sense. Please explain.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

That doesn't make any sense. Please explain.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Take the empty slide and face it upwards. Take the barrel and face the crown downwards. Slowly slide the barrel into the opening in the slide. The end opening in the slide is close to the barrel diameter so if the barrel is bulged it will either hang up or you will feel a change in resistance as it passes through.

This is Taught at the glock armorers course.

Yup. This

Take the empty slide and face it upwards. Take the barrel and face the crown downwards. Slowly slide the barrel into the opening in the slide. The end opening in the slide is close to the barrel diameter so if the barrel is bulged it will either hang up or you will feel a change in resistance as it passes through.

Unless you fired a second bullet down the tube behind the first, how would the barrel get a bulge?

If it is a revolver, make sure the cylinder is locked closed. I learned that the hard way when I broke the yoke screw.

I'll gladly take them off your hands and send them down range [wink]
I got in touch with Remington today they were cool. They are mailing me a slip to send the remaining 72 rounds back and are going to send me out some new stuff. Good people to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom