HELP! Nowhere to shoot my M16 in MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
53667327.jpg

I know that WPRC allows it when you get prior permission, and notify the local PD the day you shoot... I'll have to check bylaws.

Need to notify someone on the exec board prior to and the police the day of.

Notifying PD is some serious jackassery, do they really care? Seems like a huge waste of everyone's time.

WPRC is across the street from houses, so its probably just to pre-emp the calls they may get from the neighbors.

Mass Rifle in Woburn. 7x24 access. Any MG up to .50 BMG.

Don

p.s. Harvard in the nice weather months is my favorite. MRA in the winter is great. The LOEB range is a very nice facility and allows you to shoot just about anything indoors.

Need to notify someone on the exec board prior to and the police the day of.

WPRC is across the street from houses, so its probably just to pre-emp the calls they may get from the neighbors.

While i don't like having to call, it makes sense to just do it..
i try to see it through there eye's.If they receive a dozen called from scared citizens, they have to go check it out.
If they know it's going on they can just reassure the sheep that everything is ok, legal, and will be over reasonable soon..
Sometimes veterans with PTSD wake to that type of fire and it shakes them up..i try not to look at all the people who call as dicks, some may just need to hear it's ok.

that said, i'm not going to call if this new range accepts me when they come i'm going to have a pelican case with all my paperwork and a dildo in it .
and just say "here's everything you may need" and hand them the case.

While i don't like having to call, it makes sense to just do it..
i try to see it through there eye's.If they receive a dozen called from scared citizens, they have to go check it out.
If they know it's going on they can just reassure the sheep that everything is ok, legal, and will be over reasonable soon..
Sometimes veterans with PTSD wake to that type of fire and it shakes them up..i try not to look at all the people who call as dicks, some may just need to hear it's ok.

that said, i'm not going to call if this new range accepts me when they come i'm going to have a pelican case with all my paperwork and a dildo in it .
and just say "here's everything you may need" and hand them the case.
[laugh] When the new neighbors called about us, the PD chuckled and told them it was just the boys at the club having a good time...

Never ever hand your machine gun to someone else, even in a case...

Stay away from jerks and you'll have 100% less jerkiness in your life. [smile]

People come by and gawk. Every now and then someone will ask about the legality and then once in a while you will get a real jerk who claims something in front of them is not legal. They are politely asked to compress silicon particles rapidly and "good day sir". [laugh]

um there is a reason the us military went from auto to 3 round burst.......you'll understand the first time you shoot that m16 on auto.......after 3 or 4 rounds come out of it you ain't anywhere near where you sighted that rifle........waste of ammo.
The statistics given to us when we qualified with the M16A1 in "Auto Rifle" were that over 90% of the target hits were the first round. So you were more or less bringing your hit percentage from over 90% to about 1/3rd. Never made much sense to me especially once the SAW was fielded.

that case only holds the sear and reciever..if the cops come it's a safe bet the gun isn't in the case.

The PMs have been really coming in with some great suggestion, i would have never know had i not posted...place to shoot indoor and such.
I'm going to try and join somewhere very close , and also somewhere in eastern MA. i'll have the best of both worlds.....Harvard would be nice but if i go there it will be more for long range type stuff.
i'm going to have to drop my current membership if i sign up for 2 more..

i don't like how some may people viewed this thread, i should have posted it in a members only section maybe... i am newer to this kind of stuff as you can tell

The statistics given to us when we qualified with the M16A1 in "Auto Rifle" were that over 90% of the target hits were the first round. So you were more or less bringing your hit percentage from over 90% to about 1/3rd. Never made much sense to me especially once the SAW was fielded.

I think i has to do with distance.. at 10-50 feet i bet i'll do quite well at 100 yards it will probibly be more burst that just hold the trigger down... i plan to do some shooting standing at close range and maybe lay-down with a shrike 24" barrel and soot 100-300 yards. i've got to try all my hosts, get some practice then build a few more hosts...but yes i will probably miss alot, it's not like the targets are shooting back

With some training and/or a lot of rounds, you can drastically increase your accuracy and control. Comps and tuning gas pressure help to.

A 2 or 3 round burst using only your finger is not only easy, but a very natural technique. You get the same benefit as a "double tap" with a semi-auto. Whether it is two or three depends on the rate of fire the gun is setup to produce.

Here's a 20rd mag dump at 15-20 yards:
attachment.php

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...post-em-here?p=1994666&viewfull=1#post1994666

Short version though is 3rd burst hardware is no bueno... An idea only an accountant could love.

Impact guns has a Class 3 section on it...they have a Colt M16a2 with a 10.5 inch barrel...only asking $28 grand for it...

sounds about right DIAS are just behind that.i wanted a real colt m16 because i am a true collector...but with the cost i wanted something i wouldn't be scared to enjoy.

the m60 i was reaching to buy wa a whole kit 8 barrels, tripod mount, all kinds of assesories with a maremount m60 NIB in origianl crate...i wouldn't feel right uncrating it and firinging it it was listed at 36k couldn't get him lower than 32k.. would have done it for 30...but the dias was a better investment and allows me to actually use it, and now i can have any kind of ar15/m16 rifle/pistol without having to worry about running astray of the nfa laws

With some training and/or a lot of rounds, you can drastically increase your accuracy and control. Comps and tuning gas pressure help to.

A 2 or 3 round burst using only your finger is not only easy, but a very natural technique. You get the same benefit as a "double tap" with a semi-auto. Whether it is two or three depends on the rate of fire the gun is setup to produce.

Here's a 20rd mag dump at 15-20 yards:
attachment.php

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...post-em-here?p=1994666&viewfull=1#post1994666

Short version though is 3rd burst hardware is no bueno... An idea only an accountant could love.

as it stands now my ammos' volicity is 2kfps out of the 7.5" and 2600-2800 out of a 16". I still have to adjust alittle for improved accuracy, but i am using 1 powder for everything...i may even go the other way and reduce Volicity to reduce recoil..when i first start i don't think any of this matters.

1 knees bent
2 lean forward like starting a sprint race
3 Both eyes open, look at the target not worrier about sights like you would for a single shot
4 Hold on firmly
5 pew pew pew

*edit* my 2 sbr uppers (gaspiston) only have 3 way adjustment of gas port..wish they had 4 but i think i payed like 625 apiece brand new from sig..there like 1000-1200 right now i think
I was dissapointed they didn't come with full auto carries i thought the did and when i got the sear i had only a direct impigment full auto bolt.
That's why i have the reduced weight Adam arms carrier, it was the only one i could find i though might be compatible.....only difference is the sig bolt has a dimple on the strike face and the AA doesn't i though about adding one so i don't flatten the piston end....but i haven't we'll see what marks it has once i go full auto, with 1000rds in semi it seems fine

*edit 2* and sig refuse to sell me the carrier. had to go to a dealer and all my experience with ma ffls led me to believe it would be easier for everyone just to buy what i did.

Last edited:
Hanson rod and gun has MG shooting. The details have changed over the years. Un timely need for a new truck sucked up the 15k I set aside for a silly switch item. I rather not have any debt so trucks paid for and the saving starts again.
Any way hanson used to be anyday but sunday. I have no idea what the procedure is now. I know there are is no full auto on the pistol or indoor range.
I will poke around if you like. I have my MG license I dont know if I can bring non members but I will find out. I have very little time to mmet up though on that route.

Hanson rod and gun has MG shooting. The details have changed over the years. Un timely need for a new truck sucked up the 15k I set aside for a silly switch item. I rather not have any debt so trucks paid for and the saving starts again.
Any way hanson used to be anyday but sunday. I have no idea what the procedure is now. I know there are is no full auto on the pistol or indoor range.
I will poke around if you like. I have my MG license I dont know if I can bring non members but I will find out. I have very little time to mmet up though on that route.

Your've got the right idea with your fiances, my truck has 90k miles it's 8 years old...i always say i want a new truck..but i don't really.watching a new truck getting destroyed sucks and if you owe money on it, it sucks even more.

The only bad news is the longer you wait the less likely it is you'll even own one.. i was trying to stretch my limits and get the m60, but the sear wasn't my entire life savings, so i went that route...i also had a good feeling the m16 stuff would increase in value and the m60 stuff would climb slower.

Good news! I am going shooting tomorrow with a NES member.....but if i don't report back by 5pm you guys better start looking for my corpse....i'll swallow the DIAS and filled out form 4 for the winner of the scavenger hunt.I think i'll be ok, but when someone does something nice for no reason it makes me nervous.

What is your guys take on shooting full auto with reloads??I get the concerns but some factory ammo i have seen over the last couple years is definitely a lower quality than even my worst reloads.

at the .5 per round store bough ammo was last year, i only plan to shoot reloads once i burn up what little store bought i have.My reloads cost me .11.

I think the sear will be fine, and i am willing to accept destroyed barrels/uppers and even receivers. If no one gets hurt i could care less...

Who ever buys a rdias for. 28k is stupid . For that much money you could rent a shop for a year. Buy a mill and tooling . Get a FFl 07 sot2 and make them your self. Then just have a biz on the side to pay for the ammo.
Heck if you didn't live in mass you could just build a shack and setup shop in there.

You could get you 07 for $50/yr and pay $200 for the stamp to make a DIAS.
No shop costs, no $500/yr 02 SOT.

You can get your FFL out of your house, even in MA if you don't do retail sales.

You could get you 07 for $50/yr and pay $200 for the stamp to make a DIAS.
No shop costs, no $500/yr 02 SOT.

You can get your FFL out of your house, even in MA if you don't do retail sales.

When we meet up you so I can measure that plastic lower that takes grease gun mags , I need you to help me figure this out lol . Mine/ my dads machine shop not even connected to his house .
Ever other FFl basicaly told me I'd have to get it zoned etc.

There are always zoning considerations. In fact Zoning is the biggest issue. But most CT and MA towns have customary home occupation carve outs in their residential zonign regs.

We'll take this off line, so we don't sidetrack the thread.

Don

There are always zoning considerations. In fact Zoning is the biggest issue. But most CT and MA towns have customary home occupation carve outs in their residential zonign regs.

We'll take this off line, so we don't sidetrack the thread.

Don

Feel free to take this one off topic, the only down side i see is the ATF comes to your house/buiness rather than your buisness...i could care less there free to stop by anytime.

I find the best gun shops are stores at homes....many in NH are retail locations aswell.

as it stands now my ammos' volicity is 2kfps out of the 7.5" and 2600-2800 out of a 16". I still have to adjust alittle for improved accuracy, but i am using 1 powder for everything...i may even go the other way and reduce Volicity to reduce recoil..when i first start i don't think any of this matters.

1 knees bent
2 lean forward like starting a sprint race
3 Both eyes open, look at the target not worrier about sights like you would for a single shot
4 Hold on firmly
5 pew pew pew

*edit* my 2 sbr uppers (gaspiston) only have 3 way adjustment of gas port..wish they had 4 but i think i payed like 625 apiece brand new from sig..there like 1000-1200 right now i think
I was dissapointed they didn't come with full auto carries i thought the did and when i got the sear i had only a direct impigment full auto bolt.
That's why i have the reduced weight Adam arms carrier, it was the only one i could find i though might be compatible.....only difference is the sig bolt has a dimple on the strike face and the AA doesn't i though about adding one so i don't flatten the piston end....but i haven't we'll see what marks it has once i go full auto, with 1000rds in semi it seems fine

*edit 2* and sig refuse to sell me the carrier. had to go to a dealer and all my experience with ma ffls led me to believe it would be easier for everyone just to buy what i did.
~2800 out of 16 is about wolf speed which is to say slow... You will get a little bit of a sten-gun effect (lower rate of fire ~650 rpm) vs the 750-850 that you'd get out of full power ammo. It is stills a lot of fun, but more fun to fire full power.

All sorts of strangeness buying bits and pieces of NFA because the laws were written 80 years ago by people who barely understood gun tech back then much less what came after. So the ATF makes it up as they go along.

Is what it is. Shop around. Can't blame anyone for caution given what is at stake.

~2800 out of 16 is about wolf speed which is to say slow... You will get a little bit of a sten-gun effect (lower rate of fire ~650 rpm) vs the 750-850 that you'd get out of full power ammo. It is stills a lot of fun, but more fun to fire full power.

All sorts of strangeness buying bits and pieces of NFA because the laws were written 80 years ago by people who barely understood gun tech back then much less what came after. So the ATF makes it up as they go along.

Is what it is. Shop around. Can't blame anyone for caution given what is at stake.

What i couldn't figure out is when there was the most recent "run on guns" all the m16 fcg where sold out....was it ffls buying them for legitimate sales or people buying them to have just incase.
i bought my FCGs without showing a form 4 so anyone could buy them, but it wouldn't be a good idea without an aproved form 4

I am starting alittle low on FPS because of all the experimenting i was doing. between the epoxy coated and plated projectiles it was a safety precaution.. and using one powder for several different weight projectiles and the barrel lenght thing is alittle ridiculous, but i just want ammo that can be used from all my firearms. i used a 16" when first testing, do it being an intermediate lenght...right now i don't own any upper longer than 16.5" after using my 7.5" my 16" feels like a 24"

thanks for the advice on cycle speed... i almost feel like faster will be smoother.. i've got a beater ar15 thats a pile of junk and when i started firing the new host in semi you can feel it cycles much faster then the beater.. i'm going to see if i can get in the 3200-3400 fps range but i may have to use a harder alloy for the projectiles to keep the nose from slumping over.. but the current projectile profile i am using seems to hold up well compared to others i've tried.

Some broad strokes that Eddie Coyle can correct or refine from my own reloading experience of this caliber...

3200+ out of 223/556 @16:
1. You are going to pop primers if you don't crimp the primer pockets. Those little chicklets go everywhere and can be unpleasant to fish out depending where they end up.
2. Beyond 3200 is a lot of ask, you are likely going to run out if room for typical powders and is also rough on the gun.

Some broad strokes that Eddie Coyle can correct or refine from my own reloading experience of this caliber...

3200+ out of 223/556 @16:
1. You are going to pop primers if you don't crimp the primer pockets. Those little chicklets go everywhere and can be unpleasant to fish out depending where they end up.
2. Beyond 3200 is a lot of ask, you are likely going to run out if room for typical powders and is also rough on the gun.

Some more good advice, thank you. i've been using 22.5 grains of xterminator..a full case leaving room for the projectile might be about 25 grains. you might be able to put alittle more in and compress it. with the 7.5" barrel i think velocity will peak well before max load...spewing unburned powder out the barrel.

Anyway, i did get to shoot with the NES member it was about 20 min from my house. it was perfect within a day of my post we had made plans and we went this morning.
We shot 500rds flawlessly...then i got a light primer strike..i just ignored it and over the next hundred round the problem got worse, so i stopped and inspected the sear/bolt carrier and firing pin. everything looked good so i reassembled and the problem was even worse...I then noticed the front pivot pin which i have to use an adapter pin to use my large hole lower with my small pin upper was very loose..these adapter are like a small cam that let's you adjust the gap between the upper and lower receivers. i tightened this up and the rest of the 1000 round i brought ran fine..with all the vibration from full auto the pin must have lossened allowing the upper to move forward causing the light primer strikes....i need to just install it in a post ban small hole receiver and then it won't happen again.

with factory ammo it didn't cycle quite as fast as i thought it would, i can't wait to try different length uppers. but now i have something to compare to my reloads next time i go.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions on ranges i have a list of 7 ranges to try out if the one i am currently waiting for falls through.
And A special thanks to the NES member who let me try my gun out..i feel so much better, and now i can wait the 4-5 weeks to see if my new membership works out. I would have just been pissed if i had to go through the process again to be told i couldn't shoot there.

Last edited:
Hell a 2 shot burst...why bother with a Class 3 license and a 16,000 dollar rifle. You should have got a SCAR 16 and saved 13,000 dollars

Hell a 2 shot burst...why bother with a Class 3 license and a 16,000 dollar rifle. You should have got a SCAR 16 and saved 13,000 dollars

well,i don't have it set up for 2 shot burst, i had never hear of it on an m16. i do know the government buys stupid things like mp5s for airports that are set up with 2 shot burst.
As said before it's an idea only an accountant would love.. i could easily control the full auto to let out 2 if i want or 3 if i want. if i tried to just put out a single sometime i would wind up with 2 shots. i just have all the kits incase i wanted to try them....only 1 kit cost me very much the others where cheap..and one kit i received from someone who sold there sear, had an extra burst cam, i'm no expert but it looked like 2 shot burst....it didn't look like a hack job.; it look like it was made that way. i'd dig it out to post a picture but i don't really care if anyone thinks i am full of shit. Also when someone buys an nfa item, i think it is up to them to set it up how they want. if someone wants a 2 short bust .22lr that runs on unicorn blood and glitter. i think that is great if it makes them happy.
i think 2 shot burst is just as stupid as having to get a tax stamp and pay ridiculous amounts of money for a stupid "widget". but since i own one i guess i'll never have to worry about it again and someday laugh all the way to the bank

On cyclic rate, you mention 7 inch barrel, so I am wondering if you have a pretty heavy buffer in there? Shorter barrels tend to be way over gassed, so people out heavy buffers in to help offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom