Help me understand Maura's 7/20/2016 ban on "Assault" weapon

I tried the search feature and couldn't find a match for my question and since this thread has come back to life, I will drop it here.

The original federal AWB that the state version is based on specifically exempts the Springfield M1A. On that basis, should this guy be "legal" to possess in MA?
View attachment 362836

It's the Springfield M1A "Loaded" in 6.5 Creedmoor. It should be exempt as being a variant of the M1A but it contains multiple evil features; a pistol grip, a detachable mag, and a length-adjustable stock.

I do feel foolish even asking as the obvious answer passes both the common sense and logic tests. However, we're talking MA and neither of those tests is applicable. So, what says the community? If I head up to NH to purchase one from an FFL, will they sell it to me?

Yes, I could simply call a NH dealer and ask, but posing the question on NES is way more entertaining.

The issue is that the AWB only exempts those specific models "as such firearms were manufactured on October 1, 1993". So unless that specific model with those specific features was being made/sold in 1993, the model exemption doesn't apply, and the classic "feature test" applies.

Now that I look at it, the M1A as pictured doesn't have a foldeing or telescoping stock, or a "pistol grip" as the AW defines. So it's no different that the wood stock M1A Loaded (I have one it's great). I'm willing to bet Springfield Armory is well aware of this and it was probably part of the design process.

I tried the search feature and couldn't find a match for my question and since this thread has come back to life, I will drop it here.

The original federal AWB that the state version is based on specifically exempts the Springfield M1A. On that basis, should this guy be "legal" to possess in MA?
View attachment 362836

It's the Springfield M1A "Loaded" in 6.5 Creedmoor. It should be exempt as being a variant of the M1A but it contains multiple evil features; a pistol grip, a detachable mag, and a length-adjustable stock.

I do feel foolish even asking as the obvious answer passes both the common sense and logic tests. However, we're talking MA and neither of those tests is applicable. So, what says the community? If I head up to NH to purchase one from an FFL, will they sell it to me?

Yes, I could simply call a NH dealer and ask, but posing the question on NES is way more entertaining.
the removable mag isn't an evil feature so much as a gating one. If it's not semiauto with detachable mags, it cannot possibly be an AW.

That stock is not a "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon." Nor is it "a folding or telescoping stock." It does have "a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor." Thus it has one evil feature and is ban-compliant in MA.

Back
Top Bottom