• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me understand Maura's 7/20/2016 ban on "Assault" weapon

sbi

So if we can't buy/build/register new AR's, how come Tavors are being sold by stores who are know to "follow Maura's rules by the letter"?

Because there wasn’t one in 2017 :D
Yup. 2016. I remember the day. I even have a couple of t shirts from here commemorating the day.

BTW, I wear them down here in NC. People always give me quizzical looks. Tranny? From MA? But it often starts a conversation. People can’t beloeve it down here.

U can buy and build whatever you want and there ain’t a damn thing she can do about it. It’s been 3 years and no arrests or prosecutions. You just can’t get anything from a FFL dealer. As far as help understanding her notice...take your hand and grab the back of your head and repeatedly slam it off a hard surface. You will get better results. Good luck!

Aren't they supposed to search before cuffing? Or after? Pretty impressive contortions to point a gun at your head while cuffed, unless her hands were cuffed in front, which I don't think is protocol.

Tavors didn’t exist in 1994, that’s why.

Not only did they not exist but they'd dont meet the features test.

Because there wasn’t one in 2017 :D

Here, I corrected the date [cheers]

Tavors didn’t exist in 1994, that’s why.

So basically her problem (among many others, but in regards to this directive) is particularly with older "assault" weapons (AR-15, AK47, etc)? A Tavor, in the same exact caliber, that fires the same number of rounds (if you follow the magazine restriction) is perfectly fine because of it looks? It doesn't look scary like the infamous AR-15?

Here, I corrected the date [cheers]

So basically her problem (among many others, but in regards to this directive) is particularly with older "assault" weapons (AR-15, AK47, etc)? A Tavor, in the same exact caliber, that fires the same number of rounds (if you follow the magazine restriction) is perfectly fine because of it looks? It doesn't look scary like the infamous AR-15?

The enforcement notice essentially says that the part of the law prohibiting possession of duplicates/copycats of the rifles banned by name covers featureless AR and AK patttern rifles.

It was an easy way to take a swing at the more popular stuff.

ETA: also if you’re looking for common sense in these gun laws, you’re going to have a bad time.

Last edited:
OK I'll be serious.
But first IANAL...
The law has what I see as 3 major parts.
There is a list of specifically exempted guns (from the original Fed ban).
There is a list of specifically banned guns (again from the fed ban), and the law includes copies and duplicates of these named guns.
There is a feature test that can be used to determine if a gun is an AW.
On top of this the law has an exception for anything legally possessed prior to the ban.

A quick note before I continue. There was nothing in the law that said you can't have a gun that was non-compliant when it was manufactured, made compliant before it is transferred to you.

Maura claims a similarity test to the specifically named banned guns, although what level of dissimilarity you need to have is not clear.
Maura also claims that if a gun is manufactured non-compliant, it is forever non-compliant no matter who does what to it.
She has also made some confusing statements about 22lr be exempt from both the old and new, I have no idea how that's supposed to work but it's no less confusing than the rest.

Now is all that clear? No? Welcome to MA

A Tavor, in the same exact caliber, that fires the same number of rounds (if you follow the magazine restriction) is perfectly fine because of it looks? It doesn't look scary like the infamous AR-15?
Pretty much; same with the Mini 14. There's nothing unique about an AR that they can easily ban - it's just a semi-auto rifle. To ban the AR they'd have to ban just about all semi-autos. So instead they to after scary-looking cosmetic features so they can tell their constituents who don't know any better that they're "doing something for the children". It's all political posturing, there's zero logic to it.

Why can't you build, buy or register a new AR?

Because if you build one (yes, I know you can build a new one), how can you register it if it falls under her stupid directive? It's a "copy" based on her definition.

LOL, you want to win a debate with a liberal friend or family member about Ma gun laws. Show them a picture of a Tavor or a Bren 805. Then show them a picture of a AR15. Next explain to them that the Bren and Tavor are legal to buy new and the AR15 is not. Same caliber same capacity! Then explain to them that the only reason they banned the sale of new AR15 in Mass is because that bad people use them and the media coverage of them. Mass passed these laws to placate the plebs who don't know any better.

Then sit back and watch their heads explode (figuratively).

Also, Love my Tavor x95.

Just curious.....if someone from NH had a 10+ yr old AR that was compliant with the '96 fed bad would it be legal to sell it to a mAss subject under current interpretation of mAss law/her majesties royal decree provided it went through FFL's yada yada?
If you mean compliant with Fed ‘94? Yeah I guess, not sure if they would do it though.
(Legal to the law, not necessarily her decree)

420 is great!
720... not so much.

Oh, and 720 needs to be tested in the courts...

Back
Top Bottom