• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me learn to love .22

This is another way you can have fun with a .22LR. This is an old Spike's Tactical .22 Upper (which they sadly discontinued) I bought many years ago. It may not be a tack-driver but it is fun.

ST 22 Upper.JPG

Last edited:
This is another way you can have fun with a .22LR. This is an old Spike's Tactical .22 Upper (which they sadly discontinued) I bought many wears ago. It may not be a tack-driver but it is fun.

View attachment 859483
Ordered a pro mag archangel g36 stock for one of the 10/22s, I think I’m gonna SBR it for the hell of it

Next is definitely a dedicated .22 upper BC60ED3D-B278-4285-B79D-18DBDB2E7BD9.jpeg

I have more .308 and .556 than both from loading and buying cheep over the years I should think about getting a permit from the FD

I was in this camp Till this year.
My component stash is dry, so mass loading range ammo is now $0.35 for 5.56 and I haven’t even done the math on 7.62

I need to learn to love .22 cause with a house kids and bills I can’t afford to blast off 500 rounds of centerfire a weekend anymore, at least not till my season gets going. And no matter ho much you have on hand 500 rounds weekend is 26k rounds a year let’s just say I could probably go for 10 years at that pace with .22
I guess if you don’t factor in my time, it would cost more. But it’s not a job if you do something you love.

Also, I’m running three automated presses. Well, I’m a kneeling and tumbling brass.
But if you shoot enough rouds the math works out.

I guess if you don’t factor in my time, it would cost more. But it’s not a job if you do something you love.

Also, I’m running three automated presses. Well, I’m a kneeling and tumbling brass.
But if you shoot enough rouds the math works out.
Yeah I don’t shoot enough to justify an automated press
Once day I’ll get a nice turret press though

They make nice ones now, my stuff old.
The new ones have all kinds of sensors and stuff.

I was running multiple presses you’re supposed to stand on it or just had a coffee can full of lead on the pedals.

It runs smooth until there’s a train wreck just like operating a CNC machine. Basically you have to inspect them before you link or load them.

I've had 2 turret presses. My lee turret lasted 2.5 to 3 years and I wore it out.....everything was loose.....dropped my large pistol primer tool and it broke in half....cheep pot metal......the auto index feature would sometimes stop square the die.....sometimes not.....which caused lots of ruined cases when you raise the ram and the shell contacts the edge of the flairing die and crumples the edge. I kept all the dies and threw the thing in the trash. Got an rcbs turret now and it's a beast compared to that pos Lee. Yes it was like $400 and the Lee was $200 but I'll have this thing forever.

I've had 2 turret presses. My lee turret lasted 2.5 to 3 years and I wore it out.....everything was loose.....dropped my large pistol primer tool and it broke in half....cheep pot metal......the auto index feature would sometimes stop square the die.....sometimes not.....which caused lots of ruined cases when you raise the ram and the shell contacts the edge of the flairing die and crumples the edge. I kept all the dies and threw the thing in the trash. Got an rcbs turret now and it's a beast compared to that pos Lee. Yes it was like $400 and the Lee was $200 but I'll have this thing forever.
I’ll be getting an rcbs for sure
I have my dads single stage from the early 80s and it is still tight
Plus I can use my uniflow powder dispenser on it

Cheap. Fun. Quiet. Can carry 500 rounds without weighing your pants down to your ankles. Can shoot in your basement. Will dispatch pests and uninvited guests, if necessary.

Not casting FMJs for the M1A or the ARs
I do Shoot cast/plated for the .45 and the 30/30 with low recoil loads though

But let’s do the math
1000 55 Gr FMJs $100
1 lb of powder (7k grains) Takes 3ish lbs to load 275-280 rounds so 3.5 lbs or so with work up waste and mistakes $150
Primers $150
So short math for a case of hand loaded 5.56 at todays prices without frugal shopping is $350…

Guess I could save a nickel and buy 5k primers 8 lbs of powder and 5k bullets but that’s still 2x what it used to cost to reload it

Plus my time

Glad I don’t own any commie caliber rifles
Your math on the powder is off. I think you meant to say it takes 3ish pounds to load 1k rounds not 275

Your math on the powder is off. I think you meant to say it takes 3ish pounds to load 1k rounds not 275
Well, in the end, my math is right I just mis typed
Yeah A pound of powdered gets ya about 300 rounds of .223 depending on load

I did find a whole bunch of powder yesterday for $35 a pound but they wanted $110 for primers… so around $315 to load up this 1k

I’ll be getting an rcbs for sure
I have my dads single stage from the early 80s and it is still tight
Plus I can use my uniflow powder dispenser on it
You might want to consider a Dillon 550. It's a very versatile press. You can cycle one round at a time with measured powder loads to make precision rifle loads. Or you can run it as a progressive and make several hundred rounds per hour.

The best part is the lifetime warranty. My 650 is about 25 years old and has loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds. It's gotten cranky lately and I can't figure out why. Everything is just kind of sloppy.

I can send it back to them and they will rebuild it for free. I'm going to do that as soon as I have a good enough stockpile of ammo and then the motivation to break it down and box it up.

My first firearm was a tube fed Marlin .22 rifle that was purchased from K-mart. That gun has taught me how to shoot, I was able to purchase ammo in local hardware stores. The .22 is shooting fun all day long without breaking the bank. Hone your skill with pennies not dollars.

I just can’t seem to fall in love with .22…
I always buy a brick when I see it, and I was buying bricks almost weekly for almost 15 years.
My father did the same thing and when he passed away I inherited his stash of .22
Needless to say I have plenty .22, and trust me it’s a hard thing to admit you have enough of one caliber lol.
I have plenty of .22 firearms
Started with one 10/22 and somehow now I have 3…
I’m thinking I may SBR one of the 10/22s at the chance I may enjoy shooting it again lol

Do you love .22 or does it bore you after the 3rd magazine like me?

Some SBR10/22 I found online and it got my gears turning

Buy a Volquartsen Black Mamba, buy or build a Kraken or/and modify your 10/22 a bit and come shoot Steel Challenge with us. You will find good fun use of your stash of 22.

Buy a Volquartsen Black Mamba, buy or build a Kraken or/and modify your 10/22 a bit and come shoot Steel Challenge with us. You will find good fun use of your stash of 22.
D2A9E9F6-71D2-4F4A-B91C-83B696329781.jpeg Where do you shoot? Just put one of my 10/22s in a Nomad stock I may just stamp it and put a 12.5” barrel on it for the hell of it

View attachment 865873Where do you shoot? Just put one of my 10/22s in a Nomad stock I may just stamp it and put a 12.5” barrel on it for the hell of it

I pretty much shoot most of the local SC events in MA and NH. Go on practiscore.com and check the schedule. The season is just starting :) I do not know your SC experience level, but If you need help- let me know.

That rifle you have will put you in RFRO... very fast (if not the fastest) class- lots of fun

Thank you
A

I pretty much shoot most of the local SC events in MA and NH. Go on practiscore.com and check the schedule. The season is just starting :) I do not know your SC experience level, but If you need help- let me know.

Thank you
A
I’ve never shot SC at all so zero experience
I will have to watch some content on it for sure

I’ve never shot SC at all so zero experience
I will have to watch some content on it for sure

Register for a match on practiscore and let me know in DM here. We can squad together and I will guide you through your first match. Everybody is super helpful so you will be welcomed. I promise you that much. Oh, and do watch some videos. The minimum is you need to have enough magazines to shoot 5 strings of 5 targets with some misses without reloading (refilling) magazines. So... ideally 5 mags of 10 rounds. You can get by with 3 in a pinch. Pick ammo that functions 100% in your gun. Standard is CCI Mini-mags or Standard Velocity... Malfunctions are very costly time-wise.

A

Last edited:
Do you love .22 or does it bore you after the 3rd magazine like me?
To be fair, I'm kind of bored by anything after the 3rd magazine these days. I have a CZ 455 that I bought in 17HMR, but I didn't like shooting from the bench all the time (and the 17HMR barrel is basically like 1" bar stock, so...), so I bought a CZ 457 American in 17HMR then converted the CZ 455 to 22LR with an Acculite barrel (match chamber). Now the same rifle is astonishingly handy. I probably shoot it once a year.

I am one of the people who make fun of grown ups shooting .22. Relentlessly so, I reckon. However, it’s all a show. I own a 22
LR (Ruger precision) and I have to admit that it is an absolutely legit way to train fundamentals. Who can afford 75 cents to a dollar fiddy per round to make sure you breathe right?
But I still think that sinking thousands of dollars into a 22 platform is silly. But to each their own.

I am one of the people who make fun of grown ups shooting .22. Relentlessly so, I reckon. However, it’s all a show. I own a 22
LR (Ruger precision) and I have to admit that it is an absolutely legit way to train fundamentals. Who can afford 75 cents to a dollar fiddy per round to make sure you breathe right?
But I still think that sinking thousands of dollars into a 22 platform is silly. But to each their own.
Money is part of it.

The other part is minimizing the impact of recoil on your fundamentals. (I shoot a .308, yes a dinosaur)

The other part is getting to use skills like holding for wind and developing DOPE at ranges those of us in New England get to actually shoot.

At 300 yards with a .22 SV, I'm dialing up 16 Mil.
With a 10 mph crosswind component, the bullet is drifting about 32 inches.

This lets you exercise parts of your brain that require 600+ yards with a centerfire rifle.

At 300 yards, I need to dial up about 1.4 mils with my .308.

Another way to look at it is that in order to reach out to a point where I need to dial in 15 mils (required to shoot a .22 at 300) I need 1200 yards with my .308.

One of the best things about 22 is how well it suppresses. It's hollywood quiet. If it was (easily) legal to own a suppressor in this state you might think differently. Probably my favorite gun is a 22/45 with aftermarket trigger and a SWR spectre II, it never gets old :cool:.

One of the best things about 22 is how well it suppresses. It's hollywood quiet. If it was (easily) legal to own a suppressor in this state you might think differently. Probably my favorite gun is a 22/45 with aftermarket trigger and a SWR spectre II, it never gets old :cool:.
I own a couple of cans.
My favorite by far is an old .22 cal can. It weighs 3.5 oz and pairs great with my 22/45 lite.
My least favorite is a 12 oz 9mm can that ruins the handling of any 9mm pistol it's attached to.

Both are very quiet provided the MV is subsonic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom