Health condition reason for Class A unrestricted?

Ok.....I'm going to play devils advocate here (much like the CLEO may). You say you have a heart condition, yet you have no problem with exerting yourself to carry tools and equipment in and out customers locations? Secondly with a heart condition whether you run or stand and face the confrontation your heart rate will increase dramatically, so he may not see your condition as a greater risk.

Sorry, you wanted opinions so that was mine.

Ok.....I'm going to play devils advocate here (much like the CLEO may). You say you have a heart condition, yet you have no problem with exerting yourself to carry tools and equipment in and out customers locations? Secondly with a heart condition whether you run or stand and face the confrontation your heart rate will increase dramatically, so he may not see your condition as a greater risk.

Sorry, you wanted opinions so that was mine.

I work with someone else. And I am allowed to walk while carrying stuff, just as long as its no more then 20 pounds and I pace myself. Big difference from having to run with all your might along with that adrenaline boost that comes with a situation like that.

My condition deals with physically exerted stress put on my heart. I have been in situations where my adrenaline has surged (being there when my dad passed, car accident etc). That alone is not lethal to my health. That combined with physical exertion or exertion on its own could lead to sudden cardiac death though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'd recommend including it as a reason. A lot of agencies that usually act as if they were above every law still cower in fear of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Why else would TSA allow me to carry a pointed stick with a heavy metal knob onto planes?

Ken

In general. The basics apply in most states -- you can only use deadly force when you, or another innocent, are in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. What is an "immediate" threat? What is deadly force? What type of attack puts you in danger of death or grave bodily injury? What is the "ability, opportunity, jeopardy" yardstick? What should you say to police after a shooting? What are the typical symptoms of post-shooting trauma?

Gotcha. I'd imagine he can't cover every state's laws with students coming in from all over the place.

Why else would TSA allow me to carry a pointed stick with a heavy metal knob onto planes?

If you swung it like a baseball bat and hit one of them across the head with it, the others might not want to get in your way. [laugh][wink]

How about bad hips/knees? Can't run with those either.

You could use almost anything that is truly a disability to try to sway them, but there are people who have to use wheelchairs to get around who are stuck with restricted LTC's. Some municipalities have specific criteria that must be met (carry lots of valuables regularly, documented threats), others simply will not give out ALP to anyone, and in some it's totally at the random whim of the licensing official.

Interesting sidenote...I've read posts from one or two people on NES who got jobs (I don't know whether part- or fulltime) working as armored car guards for a company who required that all employees have unrestricted LTC's, and would provide a letter to the CLEO specifying that the employee must have an ALP; a T&H or Employment LTC wasn't good enough. This could work for some others, if anyone's interested I can probably dig up those past posts on the subject.

Well, i turned in my application package on Friday which included the letter to the chief explaining my job and my heart condition and a note from one of my cardiologist and everything else I needed.

The LO scheduled me for next monday morning, which I thought was great considering all the stories ive heard about waiting months for an appointment.

Well, I guess I will see how it goes! Wish me luck!

Well I got an LTC A with target and hunting restriction. Bummer. The LO was great though. He mentioned if it was up to him, he'd give me ALP on the spot.

Waltham gives you the period until you renew for a probationary period and on renewel, the restrictions are lifted.

6 years and counting. Lol. Maybe I will have a relative who is the head of a certain city's SRT team pull some strings. Lol.

I am not a lawyer, but I would never disclose a possible debilitating illness to the authority that may or may not approve my LTC. I can see them twisting it around and claiming you unsuitable.

I am not a lawyer, but I would never disclose a possible debilitating illness to the authority that may or may not approve my LTC. I can see them twisting it around and claiming you unsuitable.

I agree here . . . unless it was physically obvious (e.g. wheelchair bound or similar).

Too much opportunity for a chief to declare someone "unsuitable" due to a medical condition for my liking.

If anyone is denied on the basis of a health condition contact Comm2A before doing anything further.

One thing that I learned a very long time ago, they will lie to you and never tell you the true reason for denial (unless it's ironclad). It's not all about gun permits either.

One thing that I learned a very long time ago, they will lie to you and never tell you the true reason for denial (unless it's ironclad). It's not all about gun permits either.

Well, then let me modify my statement to be, anyone who reasonably thinks that their medical condition was part of the reason for their denial, contact Comm2A. [grin]

Well I got an LTC A with target and hunting restriction. Bummer. The LO was great though. He mentioned if it was up to him, he'd give me ALP on the spot.

Waltham gives you the period until you renew for a probationary period and on renewel, the restrictions are lifted.

6 years and counting. Lol. Maybe I will have a relative who is the head of a certain city's SRT team pull some strings. Lol.

Also keep in mind that a lot of places that tell you they will remove restrictions on renewal will also most likely remove restrictions before then if you go in and present your case. I'd say do some training schools, wait 6-12 months, then go ask to have them lifted.

I understand the sentiment, but thankfully my condition wasn't used against me.

Back
Top Bottom