• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the whole felon-waiting-for-a-prosecutor thing, she says that "The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016." Despite separately saying that all of the guns sold since 94 were "illegal," she's very clearly saying - in her official guidance - that it doesn't apply to rifles obtained before yesterday. In the absence of her changing her mind, this new interpretation doesn't impact the possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon that had been obtained prior to July 20, which makes sense because she'd be facing a new set of legal challenges if she was trying to impose this specious decree retroactively.

In a world where her whims are law, rifles that fit her definition of assault rifles and that were "obtained" between '94 and yesterday are fine for us to own.

Sure, but at the end of the edict, it says she may change it at any time. so you have committed a felony if you possess any of these firearms, she simply states that she will not come after you. Imagine almost any other case where a law enforcement agent declares that tens of thousands of people have committed a grievous crime, that they know who these people are, where they live, and have records of their crimes, but aren't coming after them right now.

Or am I missing your point?

Here is a stupid question to be asked:

Is AR 15-22 also an assult weapon? I know CT has excluse that from the assault weapon ban.

Nobody knows. Based on my reading of the edict, you could interpret it as saying all semi-automatic gas or piston operated firearms are illegal.

So what if you owned stripped lowers for years, but just built them Tuesday and registered them Wednesday, you should be good correct? You owned them before said date, have sales receipts from the delears.

I don't know. Were they actually assault weapons, or do they only become assault weapons once assembled?

Agreed. There really isn't any ambiguity here. She stated that you illegally bought a prohibited assault weapon in violation of the MA AWB, but since you are a simpleton and didn't know it, she is not coming after you. Subject to change at any time.

Go to your gun safe. Count your semi-automatic firearms. That is how many violations of the MA AWB you may potentially be charged with. Stack all those 'pre-ban' high capacity mags you bought from <gun shop A> and you die in jail while leaving your family paupers after spending your life savings plea-bargaining your way down to a minimum-cornholing prison.

I think there is ambiguity. Those rifles were purchased at a time when the common understanding was that they were good to go. She can change the rules now, but applying them in a criminal context after the fact is going to be a much harder argument for someone to make. Regarding the going forward possession of the rifles, she says that her own (new) official guidelines don't apply to rifles obtained prior to yesterday. For someone to argue that they do - directly in the face of her saying that they don't - would be absurd.

Sure, but at the end of the edict, it says she may change it at any time. so you have committed a felony if you possess any of these firearms, she simply states that she will not come after you. Imagine almost any other case where a law enforcement agent declares that tens of thousands of people have committed a grievous crime, that they know who these people are, where they live, and have records of their crimes, but aren't coming after them right now.

Or am I missing your point?

The reservation of rights to change her edict at any time may portend more aggressive future actions, or it may be a lawyer doing what lawyers do - leave their options open. It seems to me that she pushed this current edict as far as she thought she legally could, so issuing a new, more aggressive decree anytime soon would surprise me. In any event, anything that looks like confiscation, or that applies criminality retroactively, or that amounts to a taking, is going to be a much tougher argument for her to make.

Not frightening, it's liberating.

I've lived 35 years with the idea that if I lived straight, did the right thing, obeyed the law, paid my bills, that the government was here to serve me.

I'm now free from these false prisons I placed myself within.

That's the way I look at it. They just ripped the cover off the illusion that I could actually obey the law and live a good life.

Fu*k it now. I won't be troubled any more with that delusion.

NEW BRASS!!!!!

No markings and if you are careful opening the bag, not prints.. also the law doesn't differ between new and used

No need for that expense, range brass is fine just shake it around in some muddy water and be done with it. Save the new stuff for the inevitable coming shit show.

The reservation of rights to change her edict at any time may portend more aggressive future actions, or it may be a lawyer doing what lawyers do - leave their options open. It seems to me that she pushed this current edict as far as she thought she legally could, so issuing a new, more aggressive decree anytime soon would surprise me. In any event, anything that looks like confiscation, or that applies criminality retroactively, or that amounts to a taking, is going to be a much tougher argument for her to make.

yes, she may demand that all semi-autos are surrendered or double registered. That would not be going to far given the opposition so far and blessing from that POS Rhino governor.

Rob, I would expect them to hire a legal team if they did this. It could even be from Comm2A if they do something like this with individuals or groups.

Well, the band did continue to play as the Titanic sank.

Although I am biased (as a board member), I believe that Comm2A has the expertise, connections, and ability to assure that any action is followed through to conclusion - something that is lacking in loose coalition of dealers.

when you are 100x felon, 2 more makes no difference

My only concern would be having something obvious that catches the eye of a cop who might otherwise be inclined to not ask questions, or research manufacture dates. Preban rifles are easier to spot than pre-yesterday rifles. If an off duty cop at the range sees you fold the stock on your SCAR he might start asking questions.

http://www.wgbh.org/audioPlayers/wgbh.cfm

However it wasn't at 11. Either noon or 1pm. Not sure and my mind is blown from listening to the effing moron hosts on now...

They said "noon to 1". I am recording it and will make available the MP3 at 1pm.

I'm having a tough time with Egan and Braudie too. She's supposed to be the conservative yet I just heard her insinuate that anti-Hillary people are anti-women.

I sent the following to my senator and congressman...

I am writing today to ask for your assistance. Please take whatever actions are necessary to prevent the Attorney General, Maura Healey, from rewriting and redefining our existing gun laws.
She has recently decided to take action against lawful gun owners and is in essence implementing a ban on the sale of any rifle she, apparently in her sole discretion, deems to be an assault rifle.
She should not have the power to do this and I would urge you and your fellow legislators to stop her. Massachusetts gun laws are known to be some of the strictest in the country. The maze of laws that already exist make it difficult enough for law abiding people to enjoy the shooting sports. More importantly any further laws would continue to erode the rights of Massachusetts citizens to keep and bear arms, a right which is guaranteed not only by the Constitution of the United States but also by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I think it is also important to note that the firearms the AG is attempting to eliminate are rarely used in any crimes. According to the Boston Herald – “According to FBI statistics, rifles of any variety were used in just two of the Bay State’s 779 murders in the past five years….”.

My only concern would be having something obvious that catches the eye of a cop who might otherwise be inclined to not ask questions, or research manufacture dates. Preban rifles are easier to spot than pre-yesterday rifles. If an off duty cop at the range sees you fold the stock on your SCAR he might start asking questions.

that's why I don't like shooting with cops or cameras

yes, she may demand that all semi-autos are surrendered or double registered. That would not be going to far given the opposition so far and blessing from that POS Rhino governor.

I think it would be a big move on her part. People would probably have to be given the opportunity to sell them out of state, which itself would be a cluster****.

This is a direct result of Draper v. Healey. She was challenged, politically embarrassed and won. She's doubling down. It's payback time. This is the problem with being in a position of weakness and politically gun owners in MA are a persecuted minority. If you stand up for yourself and lose you're ****ed. If you stand up for yourself and win, you're ****ed. It's like the Jews under the Tsar - keep your had down and try not to get noticed. MA is a lost cause. Either bend over or move.

God bless and keep the czar, far away from us!

This has been the last little push I need to start looking for property in NH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom