Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best yet - if "copy" gets the same 'I'll know it when I see it' interpretation of the functional LCI, this could functionally be a ban on all semi-auto rifles.

Any thing sold since 1994 is illegal.

Molon Labe

molon-labe-snake.jpg

we need to work to repeal that ban. Bottom line. This pols telling us what to do crap has to end. We need to vote them out and vote to repeal bad laws.

we need to work to repeal that ban. Bottom line. This pols telling us what to do crap has to end. We need to vote them out and vote to repeal bad laws.

We don't have the votes. And given the recent mass shootings, we will never have the votes in the MA legislation. The majority of MA voters support an assault weapon ban.

AG Usurps legislative power...

By taking it upon herself to expand the Assault Weapons ban to virtually all rifles, shotguns, and handguns ever sold, despite the clear definitions set forth by the Great and General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in General Laws Chapter 140 Section 121.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...weapons-ban/eEvOBklTriWcGznmXqSpYM/story.html

The particularly troubling paragraph, and the gross expansion of the powers allotted to the Attorney General:

"The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal. Assault weapons prohibited under our laws cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts."

EVERY semi-automatic "gun's operating system" is limited to only two basic designs: "Blowback," where the impulse of the shot being fired cycles the action, and "gas operated" where a small amount of the gas from the shot fired is harvested to power a piston (which cycles the action.)
Virtually every semi-automatic handgun ever made is of "blowback" design, as are the ubiquitous rifles "Ruger 10/22" and "Marlin 60" which can be found in every Boy Scout camp in the nation.
Virtually every semi-automatic hunting rifle and shotgun ever made are of "gas operated" design.
As for "components that are interchangeable" - Which components? There are fine target rifles that use the same magazines as AR or AK platform rifles. There are bolt-action hunting rifles that take advantage of the AR-15 modular parts market for non-operating components such as shoulder stocks and grips.

The AGs gross misinterpretation of the intent of the Legislature will instantly make illegal literally every semi-automatic handgun, rifle, and shotgun ever made. This will leave Massachusetts licensed dealers in possession of tens of millions of dollars of inventory that cannot be sold, and limiting Massachusetts firearms buyers to revolvers, bolt-action, and slide-action handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

I hope I needn't point out that this executive fiat on the part of the AG flies in the face of the SCOTUS decisions Heller, McDonald, and Caetano.

I am a lifelong resident of <redacted>, and have voted in every election since turning eighteen.
I am a gun owner. I am college educated, and hold down a six figure salary with a very portable skill set.

In 1996 AG Scott Harshbarger performed his own act of Executive Fiat, and reduced the number of licensed gun dealers in Massachusetts by ninety percent.
Unchallenged, Attorney General Healey will put the remaining dealers out of business and cause the Commonwealth to defend against a Constitutional challenge in Federal Court.

Respectfully submitted,
<name and address redacted>

--Edited: Fixed spelling errors. Please copy and paste at will.

Last edited:
She has the power to do it if the courts back her up on it. And given the court's decisions on the Glock case, I think they will indeed back her up.

But if the court backs her claim, it makes all existing semiautos illegal and felony possession. After all, someone with a banned weapon could claim it's identical to a cloned weapon that's legal to own.

And my Rep in the House has an auto-reply...

Bounce Message said:
Like you I unfortunately receive many spam messages. I also receive nearly another thousand emails each week regarding personal matters and legislation. So, if you are reaching out to request assistance with an emergency or time sensitive issue please call my office directly

Last edited:

We don't have the votes. And given the recent mass shootings, we will never have the votes in the MA legislation. The majority of MA voters support an assault weapon ban.

God knows I've been trying but even here o NES you have Obama and Clinton supporters.

Till we vote her out, or start to make these races closer you won't get a politicians attention. She won 60/40 in the last election we need to change this next time.

My understanding was these rifles make up a significant percentage of a typical shop's sales. And there aren't as many alternatives in comparison to glocks for example (M&P is an ok substitute for a glock, mini 14/30 isn't really an ok substitute for a AR/AK). I think they're more likely to resist the more it impacts their bottom line. Of course I don't have any actual numbers, so who knows.

Good point, this will put many out of business quicker than any lawsuit.

I just sent the following to my reps. Feel free to copy and paste if you wish.

Good Morning—
I read in today’s Boston Globe of our AG’s unilateral banning of the sale of essentially all semi-automatic rifles, claiming that they are “copies” of banned firearms. Not only will this negatively affect many small businesses, but it represents a huge step toward making thousands of law-abiding citizens felons. It also represents a “taking,” as it suggests that anyone who owns one of those firearms will be unable to sell it. I was always under the impression that the legislature wrote laws, not the attorney general. Herein is a quote from her announcement: “states have a duty to enact and enforce laws…” (emphasis mine). I hope you and your colleagues will overturn this unconstitutional mandate.

Sincerely,

Obie1

I just sent the following to my reps. Feel free to copy and paste if you wish.

Good Morning—
I read in today’s Boston Globe of our AG’s unilateral banning of the sale of essentially all semi-automatic rifles, claiming that they are “copies” of banned firearms. Not only will this negatively affect many small businesses, but it represents a huge step toward making thousands of law-abiding citizens felons. It also represents a “taking,” as it suggests that anyone who owns one of those firearms will be unable to sell it. I was always under the impression that the legislature wrote laws, not the attorney general. Herein is a quote from her announcement: “states have a duty to enact and enforce laws…” (emphasis mine). I hope you and your colleagues will overturn this unconstitutional mandate.

Sincerely,

Obie1

You might consider adding that she is ignoring 22 years of precedent at the state and federal level since the MA AWB refers to the Federal AWB in its definition of an AW. Post 102 has more good stuff to include.

God knows I've been trying but even here o NES you have Obama and Clinton supporters.

Till we vote her out, or start to make these races closer you won't get a politicians attention. She won 60/40 in the last election we need to change this next time.

We still need the law repealed and that means we need to convert beacon Hill to pro2A. In the last two years I have gotten 7 people to get either an LTC or an FID. And every time I tell them they need to vote for Pro2A candidates. I tell them to tell their friends. I explain the importance of the second amendment. I'm a broken record. But this will only change if we inform the young people. Sadly only 4 of the 7 people I helped so far are 25 or under. We need more young people and that will change the voter base. That's how this will work.

What about the SBR for which I'm awaiting a stamp?

You're building it, not buying it from a store right? Don't think it matters, unless she tries to claim all rifles purchases/assembled after yesterday are illegal to possess, but I don't think she'll do that cause it'll basically make all rifles illegal to possess. Her best angle is to go after FFLs like she does with Glocks and online ammo.

Only hope is the Supreme Court, which means getting Trump into the White House so he can fill the seats. We'll never get Mass to change the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom