Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote my reps the day that this happened. After not hearing back for either of them I replied to the email 2 days ago and let them know that I would remember their lack of action come election time.

Today I got a canned response from one and the other rep set up a call with me for Sunday. I saw the letter that was sent over to the AG's office today and she signed off on the most recent one but not the first one.

Anything in particular that I should ask her? I was just going to explain it from my point of view. She is a dem so having her sign on to the letters mean a lot to me. I don't think that yelling at her about how we need to repeal the AWB is the way to get through to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd focus on the fact that Maura basically just made the other two branches of government moot, and can and obviously will do whatever she wants. If your rep is a dem throwing a couple appeals to emotion in there should help:

"What if one day a republican AG gets in and uses this to change the abortion laws?"
"But she did de facto change a law that buyers, sellers, manufactures, legislative, judicial and executive branches all perfectly understood as X for two decades, and instead now decrees it means Y"
"Is it going to take people, who jumped through hoops for year to comply with the law, and are no threat to anyone other than paper targets at the range getting arrested for this "reinterpretation" to finally sink in as dangerous as it is as a massive abuse of power?"

I'd try and play up lessor on the "gun" side of it, and more-so on the de facto re-writing of legislation by the AG, which is a gross violation of checks and balances and abuse of power by a government official, who can obviously oppress the minorities in this state without any recourse from anyone.

Edit: using the phrase "de facto" will be important because it will be said,ad nasuim "she didn't change the law". However technically correct that may be, under the facts and circumstances of the situation, changing 18 years of precedence in enforcement overnight, and overtly calling the actions under the original intent and interpretation, she is de facto changing the law.

Again, start off calm and rational, toss in a couple appeals to emotion, voice your fear of complete government tyranny without using the word tyranny and above all STAY CALM.

Last edited:
Question:
Since she's an ELECTED official, and I ask this in all seriousness, can't someone ("We the people") start a recall petition? Recall her like Colorado did with their (state rep? I forget what the office was but it was a similar gun-grabbing dork)?...

Make no mistake, I don't have ANY illusions that it would succeed, but at least it would make her look somewhat the fool, or make at least some people, other citizens, take a second look and realize that executive overreach is overreach, whether it be on 2A, 1A, 4A, whatever... If I were to wake up one day and "reinterpret" the gay marriage law? There'd be a Baltimore/Ferguson type burn-a-thon outside my office that night!

But any type of "Eff you, Maura" effort/legal move could help, no? ...I'd personally knock on as many doors as I could and collect signatures, set up a table at the supermarket, etc (Wally world or Target would probably sic the dobermans on e if I asked)...But something, legal wise/legislative process wise, to show how united and disgusted we are with her??

Last edited:
Question:
Since she's an ELECTED official, and I ask this in all seriousness, can't someone ("We the people") start a recall petition? Recall her like Colorado did with their (state rep? I forget what the office was but it was a similar gun-grabbing dork)?...

Make no mistake, I don't have ANY illusions that it would succeed, but at least it would make her look somewhat the fool, or make at least some people, other citizens, take a second look and realize that executive overreach is overreach, whether it be on 2A, 1A, 4A, whatever... If I were to wake up one day and "reinterpret" the gay marriage law? There'd be a Baltimore/Ferguson type burn-a-thon outside my office that night!

But any type of "Eff you, Maura" effort/legal move could help, no? ...I'd personally knock on as many doors as I could and collect signatures, set up a table at the supermarket, etc (Wally world or Target would probably sic the dobermans on e if I asked)...But something, legal wise/legislative process wise, to show how united and disgusted we are with her??

No. MA law doesn't allow recalls

Consumer protection BS has stood the test of time with the AG handgun regs, looks like that will come into play here as well.

I suspect the argument here is that "most" MA gun owners would never have knowingly bought an AW but were tricked by manufactures and FFLs into buying illegal weapons.

Since all these rifles were sold illegally they should be turned in and the manufactures and FFLs be punished.

Question:

There is no recall mechinism in MA.
I wonder if there is a way to get one by ballot initative though.
Someone more versed in politics might have the answer.

Question:

I know it's making people mad when it gets brought up, but without Chucky One Term Baker on our side, we have legislation or the courts.

There are problems with this:

Every Dem that will participate in legislation will just codify her actions. Not good.

And you're talking MA courts, an they will without a doubt charge some gang banger with a massively bad record as the first to make winning impossible, even though it's MA courts and winning in unlikely anyway.

We should NOT give up, we should absolutely continue to push and fight. But as has been mentioned it's time people start facing reality and making the hard choices. The call to "turn em in" isn't that far away guys.

gone for a couple days, haven't been online.
just got home and this was in my e-mail.
took this **** a week to respond to me, and this was the result.

Senator Ben Downing <[email protected]>
Jul 27 at 3:48 PM

To

*********@yahoo.com

Message body

Re: Attorney General’s assault weapons ban enforcement notice

Dear Friend,

My records indicate that you have contacted my office with concerns about Attorney General Maura Healey’s recent “Enforcement Notice” on the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban. I write with an update on this matter.

In the time since the Attorney General made the announcement, I have researched the statute under which the Attorney General acted, along with other relevant precedent and legal history. Based on that research, I fully support Attorney General Healey’s actions.

The goal of the 1998 Assault Weapons Ban was to restrict access to a certain type of firearm because of the particular lethality of these guns. The legislation also recognized that simple changes to peripheral features of such guns could skirt the law, which is why Chapter 140, Section 121 of the Massachusetts General Laws explicitly prohibits the sale of “copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber”. Given that, I believe the actions of the Attorney General are in line with the original legislation’s intent and are within the office’s statutory authority as the state’s top law enforcement official.

I further understand that the Attorney General’s enforcement notice is a notification of her office’s intention to enforce the law prospectively, and that it will not be used retroactively to prosecute anyone who has bought or sold such weapons prior to July 20th of this year.

I respect the rights of law-abiding sportsmen in my district. I respect the laws of the Commonwealth. Copycat assault weapons marketed as “state compliant” are designed specifically to circumvent the laws of the Commonwealth and are a threat to our public safety. I believe that the Attorney General’s action respects both the letter of the law and the Second Amendment rights of our hunters and sportsmen.

Again, thank you for reaching out to my office on this matter. Should you wish to review additional information regarding the enforcement notice, statements by the Attorney General are available here.

Sincerely,

BENJAMIN B. DOWNING, State Senator

Berkshire, Hampshire, Franklin and Hampden District

*** This account does not receive incoming emails; please do not attempt to respond to this message. Email Senator Ben Downing at [email protected] or through the “Contact” page on his website, www.SenatorDowning.com. Thank you!***

To

*********@yahoo.com

Message body

Dear Friend,

My records indicate that you have contacted my office with concerns about Attorney General Maura Healey’s recent “Enforcement Notice” on the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban. I write with an update on this matter.

In the time since the Attorney General made the announcement, I have researched the statute under which the Attorney General acted, along with other relevant precedent and legal history. Based on that research, I fully support Attorney General Healey’s actions.

The goal of the 1998 Assault Weapons Ban was to restrict access to a certain type of firearm because of the particular lethality of these guns. The legislation also recognized that simple changes to peripheral features of such guns could skirt the law, which is why Chapter 140, Section 121 of the Massachusetts General Laws explicitly prohibits the sale of “copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber”. Given that, I believe the actions of the Attorney General are in line with the original legislation’s intent and are within the office’s statutory authority as the state’s top law enforcement official.

I further understand that the Attorney General’s enforcement notice is a notification of her office’s intention to enforce the law prospectively, and that it will not be used retroactively to prosecute anyone who has bought or sold such weapons prior to July 20th of this year.

I respect the rights of law-abiding sportsmen in my district. I respect the laws of the Commonwealth. Copycat assault weapons marketed as “state compliant” are designed specifically to circumvent the laws of the Commonwealth and are a threat to our public safety. I believe that the Attorney General’s action respects both the letter of the law and the Second Amendment rights of our hunters and sportsmen.

Again, thank you for reaching out to my office on this matter. Should you wish to review additional information regarding the enforcement notice, statements by the Attorney General are available here.

Sincerely,

*** This account does not receive incoming emails; please do not attempt to respond to this message. Email Senator Ben Downing at [email protected] or through the “Contact” page on his website, www.SenatorDowning.com. Thank you!***
I am making a phone call to Senator Dowing tomm morning.

I'd try and play up lessor on the "gun" side of it, and more-so on the de facto re-writing of legislation by the AG, which is a gross violation of checks and balances and abuse of power by a government official, who can obviously oppress the minorities in this state without any recourse from anyone.

Edit: using the phrase "de facto" will be important because it will be said,ad nasuim "she didn't change the law". However technically correct that may be, under the facts and circumstances of the situation, changing 18 years of precedence in enforcement overnight, and overtly calling the actions under the original intent and interpretation, she is de facto changing the law.

Again, start off calm and rational, toss in a couple appeals to emotion, voice your fear of complete government tyranny without using the word tyranny and above all STAY CALM.

This is exactly what I was thinking. First of all there really is no reason to yell at the poor woman as she did sign the letter that was sent over today. While it might not be much it is better than agreeing with the new interpretation.

Let's be honest she probably doesn't necessarily care about the gun side as she is a dem, she is probably more upset about the lack of due process. This is what I am going to make a point of. First thing it is the super scary AR's and AK's. Then it is something that even people on this state do at agree with but they are powerless to do anything about it because a small and add was set with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's making people mad when it gets brought up, but without Chucky One Term Baker on our side, we have legislation or the courts.

There are problems with this:

Every Dem that will participate in legislation will just codify her actions. Not good.

And you're talking MA courts, an they will without a doubt charge some gang banger with a massively bad record as the first to make winning impossible, even though it's MA courts and winning in unlikely anyway.

We should NOT give up, we should absolutely continue to push and fight. But as has been mentioned it's time people start facing reality and making the hard choices. The call to "turn em in" isn't that far away guys.

There are a fair number of Dems jumping the fence on this one.
Even they realize you never go full retard.

To

*********@yahoo.com

Message body

Dear Friend,

Sincerely,

I have been told by a very reliable source that Ben Downing will not be running for reelection.

He's way off base on this. At least Pignatelli and Carridi, both Berkshire reps. signed the letter to Healey.

Ben comes from a very Progressive family. Like the Kennedy's, the Downings are expected to tow the Progressive line, IMHO.

There are a fair number of Dems jumping the fence on this one.
Even they realize you never go full retard.

I'll be honest, as I'm trying to stop being so negative on this, I have never hoped I was wrong more than I am now.

I honestly wish beyond wish you're right and we at the very least get back to where we were 7/19 in the short term.

I'll be honest, as I'm trying to stop being so negative on this, I have never hoped I was wrong more than I am now.

I honestly wish beyond wish you're right and we at the very least get back to where we were 7/19 in the short term.

She's turned it into a dick measuring contest now.
Although she's got a bigger one then some of them, neither side can back down now and she's outnumbered.

I have been told by a very reliable source that Ben Downing will not be running for reelection.

He's way off base on this. At least Pignatelli and Carridi, both Berkshire reps. signed the letter to Healey.

Ben comes from a very Progressive family. Like the Kennedy's, the Downings are expected to tow the Progressive line, IMHO.

Order more wood.

ETA: His response clearly communicates that he doesnt think Americans have the right to protect their families, and that it is within the law to disarm them.

Last edited:

It seems pretty clear that the statists are making a big play here. People who don't consider themselves 'hunters and sportsmen', but rather free men, need to seriously think about what they do when the end game comes.

It seems pretty clear that the statists are making a big play here. People who don't consider themselves 'hunters and sportsmen', but rather free men, need to seriously think about what they do when the end game comes.

Yeah, it's been a long week.

Already discussed it with my wife.

I guess it's always got to begin in MA.

There is no recall mechinism in MA.
I wonder if there is a way to get one by ballot initative though.
Someone more versed in politics might have the answer.

WTH not?

It's spelled out in the Massachusetts Constitution the people have the right to send those public officers that become oppressors home!

Article VIII. In order to prevent those, who are vested with authority, from becoming oppressors, the people have a right, at such periods and in such manner as they shall establish by their frame of government, to cause their public officers to return to private life; and to fill up vacant places by certain and regular elections and appointments.

The government cannot effect laws retroactively covered as well here as on the federal level, as this oppressor has attempted.

Article XXIV. Laws made to punish for actions done before the existence of such laws, and which have not been declared crimes by preceding laws, are unjust, oppressive, and inconsistent with the fundamental principles of a free government.

WTH not?

It's spelled out in the Massachusetts Constitution the people have the right to send those public officers that become oppressors home!

The government cannot effect laws retroactively covered as well here as on the federal level, as this oppressor has attempted.

Thing is she is saying this has been the law for 18 years so we are only protected by her good graces.

Idiots: Stop posting legal documents and research !!!

Healey's cronys read this shit just as easily as you do and it comes up with a Google search.

Stop doing the ****ing legwork for the opposing team.

Healey's cronys read this shit just as easily as you do and it comes up with a Google search.

Agreed.

All the legal stuff people are posting is undermining the efforts that Comm2A and GOAL are doing behind the scenes. The people who are hyperventilating all this information are screwing it up for people who understand that patience is huge here.

I don't get it. What is wrong with some gun owners that are sitting back and letting this happen.

I was talking to a gun owner today, never met him before, and I mentioned what has been going on. So he says (and I'll paraphrase) that he's heard about what the AG did but wasn't following it.......let that sink in......WHAT!!!!!!! So he asked what's been happening and I give him the short version. Still doesn't seem to phase him. I suggest he call and/or email his rep and senator, he's not really interested. I mention that there is the possibility this could be applied to all semi-autos rifle and handguns (maybe he doesn't own a black gun). Still not concerned. Then he mentions that his guns are at his other house in NH so it really doesn't affect him. Oh, ok, so I guess he's safe so why would he care about anyone else... what an a$$.

This kind of self centered BS is what caused the problem and it's what the AG is counting on.

For any gun owners not even willing to make calls or send email, I hope you're first on the list.

If you know someone like this, tell them to step up or get lost. They are not your friend.

I've been making calls, sending email, trying to get in to talk to people myself (I'm meeting with Walsh tomorrow). Also calling people I know are neutral to anti on guns and trying to get them to call their reps in support because of the overreach by the AG (with moderate success, including a former DNC delegate). And I am NOT a gun owner.

Sorry about the rant, I'm just really really pissed off right now.

It would be helpful if members could point out specific posts by reporting them via the report function.

For the umpteenth time... if you think youve stumbled on something brilliant stfu and message comm2a. Stop posting legal theories. If you have familiarity with an issue that you think is something special... let comm2a know.

The way this works is its best not to show your hand. We KNOW they watch this site. To the intern reading this: think about what side you want to be on. The ignorant side that uses emotion to strip people of their rights and put innocent people in jail, or the side that just wants a gay interacial couple to be able to defend their family however they choose? Work on keeping the government out of our gunsafes as you would our bedrooms.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

For the umpteenth time... if you think youve stumbled on something brilliant stfu and message comm2a. Stop posting legal theories. If you have familiarity with an issue that you think is something special... let comm2a know.

The way this works is its best not to show your hand. We KNOW they watch this site. To the intern reading this: think about what side you want to be on. The ignorant side that uses emotion to strip people of their rights and put innocent people in jail, or the side that just wants a gay interacial couple to be able to defend their family however they choose? Work on keeping the government out of our gunsafes as you would our bedrooms.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

The intern reading this has been brainwashed and does not consider us human. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom