• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a CT resident I feel for you and try to prepare for CT's copycat reaction. It made me think of this little modified Dr. Pepper song:

If you own a semi-auto firearm in MA you're a felon
you used to obey the law of the land
but now you look around these days
and it seems theres a felon CRAZE

i'm a felon he's a felon she's a felon we're all felons
wouldn't you like to be a felon too?
i'm a felon he's a felon she's a felon
if you live in MA you're probably a felon too!

us felons are an interesting breed
a taste of freedom is what we need
ask any felon and they'll say "only freedom tastes that way"

be a felon own a gun in MA! come on!

I know this isn't a funny situation at all, I'm not trying to make light of it but what the MA AG did is as ludicrous as this song is. Best of luck with your rally tomorrow. I wish I could come up from CT to support you guys but it's just not working out, church and family obligations I can't get out of.

Here is why we are so F'@#$ed in this state. This is a quote from a guy in another forum I frequent when asked to define assault weapon:

"It would take a committee of a hundred lawyers to hash out a textual definition of "assault weapon" and we all know that it would be imperfect. On the other hand, a dozen of your relatives would give a dozen different descriptions of your grandmother too. I betcha they would all still recognize her. An assault weapon is one whose primary purpose is to kill humans. They were designed for war. I wouldn't count any weapon designed or produced before WW2 and give the Germans credit for the first true modern assault rifle but I would agree that is a bit arbitrary (see 100 lawyers above). The market has developed knock off weapons to sell to civilians. I believe it was the Israelis who developed the first assault pistol type weapon. Those knock offs and auto pistols are still assault weapons to anyone with a brain. Even your grandmother would say so."

Believe it or not he agrees with AG [rolleyes]

A PILLOW IS A WEAPON IF IT IS USED TO MURDER SOMEONE!

Strange, I took a quick peek at the Brady and Demanding Moms websites and FecesBook pages (including the MA chapter), and not even the slightest

mention of Healeys maneuver.

I would have thought that they'd be standing in the aisles cheering and high fiving one another over this.

Even that blowhard Rosenthal has been quite about it.

This means there is another shoe ready to drop. They've anticipated a response and have seta trap.

Made this up quickly to catch the visual attention of some younger Facebook friends. Delores Umbridge from the Harry Potter series in case you don't recognize the tyrant hag on the left. She was ousted, dragged out into a forest and terrorized by some of her "subjects" at the end of the story, as a result of unlawful decrees she made...

DeloresHealey.jpg

This means there is another shoe ready to drop. They've anticipated a response and have seta trap.

And that scares the hell out of me.... We might need to start thinking about 2nd and 3rd order consequences of this, and any actions that might be taken to fight it. What I can see happening is that we end up poking the legislature into actually addressing this, and it blows up in our faces with it being codified into actual law.

I've been having a lot of nightmares lately [frown]

Its quite clear what shes doing.

1. Stop the sales of said assault weapons.
2. Wait to see the legal outcome see if the mass court / first district agrees.
3. Prosecute anyone who doesn't turn in the said weapons or sell them out of state.
4. Hilarys AG

Exodious,

I'm Alex Flig, the attorney who prosecuted the Draper v. Healey case. If you've been following that saga, there was a huge dispute re laws/statutes and regulations in the District Court proceedings. Based on my work on Draper I can tell you with near 100% confidence that you are absolutely CORRECT: laws are enacted by the legislative branch; regulations are put in place by an executive branch agency. The agency MAY interpret the law with wide latitude, but that latitude is not without limits.

What the AG has effectively done here is not interpreted--she has legislated. This, however, is a longer discussion.

Alex

+1
Thanks for your input.

A PILLOW IS A WEAPON IF IT IS USED TO MURDER SOMEONE!

I read a story of a Brit arrested for having a tyre iron under his seat rather than in the boot. BC of it's location it was considered a "weapon of offense". I think the guy had the tyre iron because he'd been robbed and even stabbed a few times and kind of wanted to stay alive.

Coming soon to the previously Free USA.

I read a story of a Brit arrested for having a tyre iron under his seat rather than in the boot. BC of it's location it was considered a "weapon of offense". I think the guy had the tyre iron because he'd been robbed and even stabbed a few times and kind of wanted to stay alive.

Coming soon to the previously Free USA.
Don't worry plebian, help is only minutes away.

Exodious,

I'm Alex Flig, the attorney who prosecuted the Draper v. Healey case. If you've been following that saga, there was a huge dispute re laws/statutes and regulations in the District Court proceedings. Based on my work on Draper I can tell you with near 100% confidence that you are absolutely CORRECT: laws are enacted by the legislative branch; regulations are put in place by an executive branch agency. The agency MAY interpret the law with wide latitude, but that latitude is not without limits.

What the AG has effectively done here is not interpreted--she has legislated. This, however, is a longer discussion.

Alex

So would an injunction be the proper course of action here against the AG?

The anti gun crowd has already stated what their end game is, and this isn't it. So yeah, we haven't seen the last (or the worst) of it yet.

Its quite clear what shes doing.

1. Stop the sales of said assault weapons.
2. Wait to see the legal outcome see if the mass court / first district agrees.
3. Prosecute anyone who doesn't turn in the said weapons or sell them out of state.
4. Hopes a large chunk of firearms dealers go out of business
5. Hillarys AG

slight edit

I just called the Governor's office again and spoke to an aid. They said he "hasn't taken an official stance yet". But the phones are constantly ringing and that the response has been overwhelmingly against the AG's decision. Just wanted to let people know.

You should have told her to let him know that if he wants to know the direction of the wind he needs to take his finger out of his ass so he can hold it up in the wind.

BTW, I am writing my state rep (a conservative pro-gun R) to urge him to get in touch with CT. Carry and the NRA to see if there is anything they can do to head this off at the pass before our D Atty Gen George Jepsen tries it here. Yeah, he is one of those 17 green idiots too.

Last edited:
Baker would be a complete idiot to not oppose at least some aspect of this immediately. It costs him nothing and he can pretend to be on our side without actually having to do anything.

I just called the Governor's office again and spoke to an aid. They said he "hasn't taken an official stance yet". But the phones are constantly ringing and that the response has been overwhelmingly against the AG's decision. Just wanted to let people know.

Let's keep it up people.

Politicians maintain their careers by seeing which way the wind is blowing. Baker's previous positions don't matter - there is a pretty obvious problem with what has been done here that goes beyond gun rights.

We need mainstream support and momentum. Whether he can impact this directly or not, having the governor on our side will help us.

I was thinking along similar lines and had posted this in an earlier post:

Since the govt. viewed these firearms as legal all these years until the AG decided to make up her own law. Isn't the govt. responsible? If we can be held liable they should be held liable too.
Also the original AWB didn't ban semi-automatics and mAss's AWB was based on it so how can she now claim they're illegal?

This occurred to me last night and I would like one of the lawyers here to flesh it out for me.

Is it possible to indite the state of MA or the AG's office itself for being complicit in these thousands of sales of supposedly banned items? Forcing her to use the good faith purchases and wording of the law she just rewrote as proof of their (the state's) innocence. Which would essentially render her edict null and void. Even if she can keep her new rules going forward, it would put the rifles from before the edict squarely in "not assault rifle" territory. Thereby stopping any possibility of her coming after any of you for the purchases from before the 20th.

The law, as written, is the law. None of us who followed it broke it. That would seem to be the only defense she would have available to her in such a case. Again IANAL, so if one of the com2a boys could give me some input on this I would appreciate it.

How does he explain this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ult-weapons/8xmuDyW6DR1tkt7mBNncRK/story.html

“Governor Baker supports the Commonwealth’s assault weapons ban, believes our comprehensive state gun laws work well in protecting the people of Massachusetts, and believes that the attorney general has the authority to enforce the law to crack down on the sale of guns that skirt the assault weapons ban,” said Billy Pitman, the governor’s press secretary.

Hmm. I wonder...is the P-51 banned now? I mean, techncially, all one needs to do is swap out a few parts of the "de-activated" 50 cals [smile]

Uhhh. Didn't he say yesterday that he supports her and that she is interpreting the law CORRECTLY?!?!

If he doesn't do something to mitigate this and soon, his political career will be OVER on or before Jan. 2019. FACT!

Rally Poster:

RallyPoster.jpg

The fine print:

1) Estimated number of properly licensed and otherwise law-abiding citizens who fall under the AG's new interpretation of the 22-year-old law.

2) Number of actual criminals prosecuted by Maura Healey's office under the Bartley-Fox mandatory one year in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

Duplicate as you please.

Rally Poster:

View attachment 172711

The fine print:

1) Estimated number of properly licensed and otherwise law-abiding citizens who fall under the AG's new interpretation of the 22-year-old law.

2) Number of actual criminals prosecuted by Maura Healey's office under the Bartley-Fox mandatory one year in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

Duplicate as you please.

looking at the sign real quick without knowing (or seeing the fine print) makes me think you want the half million felons arrested and prosecuted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom