Healey "closing the loophole" letter to gun dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my pathetic email response from Baker.

Dear Mike,

On behalf of Governor Charlie Baker, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the ban assault weapons ban. We understand your concern about this issue, and we are grateful to have your voice as part of the discussion.

Please feel free to contact our office in the future with any further questions or concerns; your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,

Constituent Services Aide
Office of Governor Charlie Baker
(617) 725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

Sincerely,

Constituent Services Aide
Office of Governor Charlie Baker
(617) 725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

Funny, that's exactly what mine said, word for word. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing that they are grateful to have my voice in the discussion. Doesn't seem like the gov is discussing anything.

Funny, that's exactly what mine said, word for word. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing that they are grateful to have my voice in the discussion. Doesn't seem like the gov is discussing anything.

What the hell? Faker never even bothered to respond to mine, and it was actually well worded instead of a violent curse-filled rant like I wanted to send.

Spoke with my State Representative, Jim Lyons...easily the most pleasant conversation I've ever had with a politician. He's definitely on our side. He seemed just as disgusted by the AG's actions as all of us. It was a nice change of pace from the interactions I had with my reps when I lived closer to the city.

As previously noted, Tarr's office seemed informed and talkative, though I kept it short. Spilka's office less so. The guy I talked to said they are 'definitely aware of the issue' but didn't provide me with any insight or feedback. My main talking points are:

1. Reinterpreting established law violates both the state and federal Constitution
2. This is gross overreach on Healey's part
3. This obviates the legislature, thereby usurping their authority
4. The law is clear, and this is not what it says
5. Healey explicitly declared all gun owners in the state to be felons, but that she simply chooses not to prosecute us right now.

Lyons is a lone voice in a sea of apathy. I hope he gets heard.

Funny that my ostensibly pro-civil liberties friends are so silent on this issue. Of course they don't like guns...

Actually it's not funny at all.

Mass needs surrounding neighbors like you to help us also in this fight. Mass folks have plenty to worry about on our turf also.

Instead of packing up at least try to fight. We need strong patriots willing to stand up for our rights in Mass.

I know someday you guys in NH will be in the same boat. Your fellow neighbors in surrounding states will lend you a hand in the fight.

I've been to hearing and rallies in NH and RI. This is the one of the most important factors in all of this.

Letter to my representatives, feel free to copy/paste:

Good afternoon Mr. Barrows and Mr. Howitt,

As I’m sure you know by now, our Attorney General Healy has decreed the long standing, 22 years, interpretation of our states “assault weapon” ban has be incorrect. She has put forth an unconstitutional ban on the sale and transfer of any firearm that operates in a similar manner to those which are banned. Her interpretation of our law, is not only unconstitutional, it puts thousands of Massachusetts residents at risk of becoming felons as almost all rifles operate in this manner.

As a registered voter, whom has voted for you both in the past, I urge you to stand against this decree.

Last edited:
Not exactly. Draper v. Healey was decided based upon the AG's regulatory authority expressly provided under the consumer protection act barring unfair and deceptive acts and practices in trade, Ch. 93A sec. 2. ("The attorney general may make rules and regulations interpreting the provisions of subsection 2(a) of this chapter. Such rules and regulations shall not be inconsistent with the rules, regulations and decisions of the Federal Trade Commission and the Federal Courts interpreting the provisions of 15 U.S.C. 45(a)(1) (The Federal Trade Commission Act), as from time to time amended). (According to the AG, it was unfair to sell guns without LCI as they were "unsafe" for the consumer, thus the AG could regulate it.)

Here, the AG is attempting to re-write a statutory definition under Ch. 140, which statute does not authorize the AG's office with regulatory powers. Indeed, if anything, regulatory authority under the firearms statutes is generally vested in the Exec. Office of Public Safety, not the AG. (See, e.g. Ch. 140 sec. 129D ("The secretary of the executive office of public safety may make and promulgate such rules and regulations as are necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.").

Draper gave her the power to interpret. That's what's she's doing here. She's extending the 'named rifles' provision to cover clones as well. Sure it's a stretch but Draper gave her the jumping off point.

The word overreach was used. They said the law was clearly defined and she changed and expanded the law with no process or input from the lawmakers in this state.

These will be the key words that I will be using my phone calls.

A day after this happened, I'm feeling that this will be overruled. Healey is simply testing the limits to what she can get away with.

Letter to my representatives:

Good afternoon Mr. Barrows and Mr. Howitt,

As I’m sure you know by now, our Attorney General Healy has decreed that the long standing, for 22 years, interpretation of our state's “assault weapon” ban has been incorrect. She has put forth an unconstitutional ban on the sale and transfer of any firearm that operates in a similar manner to those which are banned. Her interpretation of our law, is not only unconstitutional, it puts thousands of Massachusetts residents at risk of becoming felons as almost all rifles operate in this manner.

As a registered voter, whom has voted for you both in the past, I urge you to [STRIKE]stand [/STRIKE] act against this decree.

FIFY

Likely means that the small minority of the minority Republican party that cares about these things will be allowed to wag their fingers in Maura Healey's direction from the floor to empty seats, or seats filled with bored Democrats on their phones. The Republican leadership on Beacon Hill could care less. Our RINO governor has stated he supports it. There are just a few (very few) legislators that "get it".

You know what has been frustrating? I was in a local gunstore last night during the madness. There had to be at least 50-100 people in there at any given time.

Occasionally as people were pissing and moaning about the wait someone would loudly ask if everyone was going to remember this come November, and the next November after that. It went over like a fart in church. Everyone just stared and looked away.

Just spoke to a legislative aid who told me that he can't say with any certainty, but this is something he expects to see debated on the floor, and that house members aren't happy about it. What that means, who knows.

Mike

This is the response I received from Ann Gobi's office.

Hi,
I am sending this email statement to several people who called Anne about the A.G.’s statement yesterday . I suspect she will have additional comments but for the time being, she wanted her constituents to know her position on this very important issue. Please don’t hesitate to call if you have additional comments.
Sincerely,

Craig Lundberg
Constituent Services Director
Office of Senator Anne M. Gobi
State House, Room 513
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-1540

The Attorney General's office has changed the interpretation of an 18 year old law and we are not quite sure yet how that will affect gun retailers. We have not been provided any information other than the op-ed in the Boston Globe and will be reaching out to the AG for clarification on many aspects of her statement. I urge you to contact their office as well if you have any questions or concerns. For gun owners: any guns bought prior to Wednesday would be grandfathered in to any new regulations. Whatever your stance on gun ownership, a change so sweeping should not have been done without proper communication and public hearings.

John McNamara
Scheduler
Senator Anne M. Gobi
State House, Room 513
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-1540

Spilka's office less so. The guy I talked to said they are 'definitely aware of the issue' but didn't provide me with any insight or feedback.

Spilka's been radio silent on my end as well, but she's been pro-gun control before so I'm not surprised. My rep re-tweeted Healey's announcement, so I think that tells me everything I need to know there. He certainly will not be getting my vote come reelection time.

I phoned senator Ryan Fattmans office and the person I spoke with was nice and said they're against her actions too and are looking at ways to do something about it.
I also phoned Rep. Peter Durants office but just got a recording that stated if I wanted them to call back to leave name & number so I sent them an email.
I contacted Bakers office yesterday and the person I spoke with seemed uninterested but said they would notify him.

Likely means that the small minority of the minority Republican party that cares about these things will be allowed to wag their fingers in Maura Healey's direction from the floor to empty seats, or seats filled with bored Democrats on their phones. The Republican leadership on Beacon Hill could care less. Our RINO governor has stated he supports it. There are just a few (very few) legislators that "get it".

You know what has been frustrating? I was in a local gunstore last night during the madness. There had to be at least 50-100 people in there at any given time.

Occasionally as people were pissing and moaning about the wait someone would loudly ask if everyone was going to remember this come November, and the next November after that. It went over like a fart in church. Everyone just stared and looked away.

Pieces of shit like Baker and fatty Christie should be run out of R party. It's not the best party, but if they stand together, they have little claim to any kind of conservatism or constitutional law.

Sorry, I can't help not to share an old joke popular among gun activists in Russia.

First - they take your guns, second - you have Putin as a president for 50 years :)

Jimmy is one of the good guys. Love it when he lays into the majority when libtard crap comes up for debate.

Spoke with my State Representative, Jim Lyons...easily the most pleasant conversation I've ever had with a politician. He's definitely on our side. He seemed just as disgusted by the AG's actions as all of us. It was a nice change of pace from the interactions I had with my reps when I lived closer to the city.

These will be the key words that I will be using my phone calls.

A day after this happened, I'm feeling that this will be overruled. Healey is simply testing the limits to what she can get away with.

Overruled by who?

Imagine if you will:
This fully suspended mountain bike looks like a motorcycle.

The legislature decides that because it looks like a motorcycle is must be one.

You argue that it has no motor, the thing that makes the motorcycle different from a bicycle. You also point out the fully suspended mountain bike is really no different in operation than the Schwinn Stingray we all rode as kids.

The legislature says it looks like a motorcycle though and they watched the Isle of Man TT where these motorcycles go 200mph through city streets.

You argue that those are motorcycles, not mountain bikes.

The legislature decides that you can have either a front suspended or a rear suspended bicycle, but no front and rear on the same bike because that makes it a motorcycle and everyone knows 200mph motorcycles have no business on city streets.
You accept the fact that elected representatives are morons but the only thing you can buy is a singly suspended bike. So you buy a nice front suspended Rockhopper.

Yesterday the Attorney General announces that in fact singly suspended bikes are also motorcycles because the original law uses the word ‘suspended’. She also announces that for the last 22 years every time a front suspended bicycle sold in this state it was a felony, and the continued possession of these bikes is a continuing felony. Moreover she says possession of the wheels, frame or fork of these bikes is also a felony, but she is not going to prosecute any of it (for now) because people just didn’t know. She sends a letter to every bike shop and tells them not to sell any mountain bikes because they are motorcycles. The shops comply because they have families and bill to pay, but about 25% of their legal business just got declared a felony.
If you are a Massachusetts gun owner this is your reality today. Substitute mountain bike with AR-15 and motorcycle with machine gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom