HB500 (hunting with suppressors) in Committee 2/17

KBCraig

NES Member
House Bill 500, sponsored by Representative John Burt (R-Hillsborough 39), has been scheduled for a hearing before the House Fish and Game and Marine Resources Committee on February 17, at 10:15 A.M. in LOB 305.

If passed, HB 500 would revise state law to allow a person to use a firearm sound suppressor while hunting in the Granite State. Currently, hunters and sportsmen in 35 states across the country are able to use these sound suppressing devices for the taking of wildlife.

House Fish and Game and Marine Resources Committee:

Representative David Kidder, Chairman (R-Merrimack 5)
[email protected]

Representative James Webb, Vice Chairman (R-Rockingham 6)
[email protected]

Representative Elisabeth Sanders (R-Rockingham 12)
[email protected]

Representative Joe Duarte (R-Rockingham 2)
[email protected]

Representative Guy Comtois (R-Belknap 7)
[email protected]

Representative Carlos Gonzalez (R-Hillsborough 45)
[email protected]

Representative Shem Kellogg (R-Rockingham 14)
[email protected]

Representative Robert Knowles (R-Strafford 12)
[email protected]

Representative Shari LeBreche (R-Belknap 6)
[email protected]

Representative Douglas Long (R-Merrimack 4)
[email protected]

Representative Harold Parker (R-Carroll 6)
[email protected]

Representative James Spillane (R-Rockingham 2)
[email protected]

Representative Kenneth Ward (D-Strafford 21)
[email protected]

Representative Benjamin Baroody (D-Hillsborough 43)
[email protected]

Representative Armand Forest (D-Hillsborough 18)
[email protected]

Representative Richard McNamara (D-Hillsborough 38)
[email protected]

Representative Ted Rokas (D-Hillsborough 12)
[email protected]

Representative C. Lee Guerette (D-Hillsborough 33)
[email protected]

Representative Ivy Vann (D-Hillsborough 24)
[email protected]

I can't believe there's even any opposition to this. Will it likely pass? I moved here from Maryland, one of the leftest of the left states, and even *there*, we could hunt with suppressors. Why does Fish & Game oppose it? (the hot link above is dead...)

I can't believe there's even any opposition to this. Will it likely pass? I moved here from Maryland, one of the leftest of the left states, and even *there*, we could hunt with suppressors. Why does Fish & Game oppose it? (the hot link above is dead...)
Fish and Game thinks that you will take deer off-season with your suppressed .338 Win Mag and not make a sound. Jack.

Fish and Game thinks that you will take deer off-season with your suppressed .338 Win Mag and not make a sound. Jack.

That's just lazy research on F&G's part. One round of suppressed 308 will change their minds. Besides, if someone's going to break the law, they're not going to give a whole lot of additional thought to breaking another law. The only people hurt by this law are law-abiding citizens. Poachers have already demonstrated that they'll do as they please.

I have a compact 300 Blackout that's perfect for hunting suppressed. Light, small, and quiet. Too bad I can't use it here (yet.)

Last edited:
Fish & Game, particularly at management levels, exists primarily to secure and expand the power and budget of Fish & Game. This is a universal truth, not unique to NH.

But just like with concealed carry, the laws are slowly being cleaned up:
33jpaf4.jpg

NH1 had a ridiculous segment about it, saying both Bambi and hikers would be in more danger now that they'll have no idea there are hunters in the woods.

[laugh2]

Thanks for the update. What's the time frame from here? Will this likely pass, and if so, will it be signed in time for this Fall's hunting season?

The state website is FUBAR right now since they are transitioning to a new database. That said this is the bill status page link.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bil...ody=h&txtsessionyear=2015&txtbillnumber=HB500

I looked at the bill text and the bill will take effect when it is passed. It passed the house and now goes to the senate. It will have another public hearing in the senate. Since this is a house bill from last year that is in the senate I am not sure when the last day is for them to vote on it (either end of March or end of June). At the latest the senate will vote on it by the end of June and then it will go to the governor. The governor will then have the ability to sign it, veto it, or just let it become law without a signature after 5 days.

So if the governor does not veto, this bill will become law before hunting season begins. If she vetoes, then we may have to wait until the end of September for the annual veto override session to see if the veto can be overridden.

From the NRA-ILA:

The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing to discuss House Bill 500 on Wednesday, March 9, in Room 100 at 9:15am.

The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee passed it today 4-0, now it goes to the Senate for a full vote.

Ah. Quick read about some opposition legislation and well, you know, automatically assumed it was Mass....[thinking]

Suppressors are illegal in Massachusetts. They are legal in New Hampshire; you just can't, as of right now, hunt with them.

We just got our right to hunt quiet back Oct 2015 and it is great.. I used to have to fly to Texas and hunt hogs to be able to use a can. Now I can anything I want in Maine with a can.. I hope you guys get it passed..

Back
Top Bottom