• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hawk eating rabbit in my back yard:

Broc

NES Member
i saw this hawk kill a rabbit the other day. My girlfriend asked me to skin the rabbit, so i did, and then the Hawk came back and finished it:

[video]http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k526/twatt_waffle/?action=view&current=20101208_135823.mp4[/video]

Great video.

What did she use the pelt for, if you don't mind?

Perhaps the hawk will start bringing you all his kills, so he doesn't have to deal with the fur/skin.[smile]

Great video.

What did she use the pelt for, if you don't mind?

Perhaps the hawk will start bringing you all his kills, so he doesn't have to deal with the fur/skin.[smile]

Nothing yet. It's in the freezer now. It's so nice and soft. She has a few ideas. That hawk or young eagle whatever it is, is my hunting buddy. She flies around while i hunt and keeps me entertained when I'm bored. She lives right behind my girls house.
I took some good pics. I will upload them when I get home.

I was driving down rte 6 on Saturday when a hawk dived down into the median and flew off with a mouse dangling from it's talons.... Awesome to see so many of them nowadays..

here are the pics i took:

Picture056.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Looks like a Coopers hawk to me. Spotted a Red Shouldered hawk and a Rough Legged hawk this weekend. Nowhere near as cool as what you saw though. Nice work getting it on film.

His brother/sister was in my back yard today eating some animal. It was too far back in dense brush to get a in-focus picture.

Nice pics, with the cinnamon colored breast my guess would be the Red-shouldered Hawk. It will hunt from a perch and take small mammals. The Cooper Hawk is slightly smaller, white breast with brown streaks. The Cooper also has a wide white band on tail tip and hunts other birds.

2nd guess is the Broad-winged Hawk.

Last edited:
Nice pics, with the cinnamon colored breast my guess would be the Red-shouldered Hawk. It will hunt from a perch and take small mammals. The Cooper Hawk is slightly smaller, white breast with brown streaks. The Cooper also has a wide white band on tail tip and hunts other birds.

check out the eyes

Well, its not a Broad-winged Hawk, thats for sure. Even if it closely resembled one, which to my eyes it doesn't, its getting late in the year for one to be around here. So, that would make it a little less likely.

And, its certainly not a Red-shouldered hawk which you can a lot of times ID by the red shoulders and white stripes across the tail.

If you were going to guess at this, you would probably guess sharp-shinned or coopers hawk. To me, the straight tail makes it look like a sharp shinned hawk, if I am seeing the tail correctly, and I may not be. But the legs and shape of the head point to a Cooper's hawk. But those two are very close and hard to tell from the pictures unless you're an expert which I am not. The sharp shinned being smaller, and a more rounded crown, straighter tail.

Maybe its neither. I don't know.

Last edited:
Well, its not a Broad-winged Hawk, thats for sure. Even if it closely resembled one, which to my eyes it doesn't, its getting late in the year for one to be around here. So, that would make it a little less likely.

And, its certainly not a Red-shouldered hawk which you can a lot of times ID by the red shoulders and white stripes across the tail.

If you were going to guess at this, you would probably guess sharp-shinned or coopers hawk. To me, the straight tail makes it look like a sharp shinned hawk, if I am seeing the tail correctly, and I may not be. But those two are very close. The sharp shinned being smaller, and a more rounded crown, straighter tail.

You may be right, the plumage on these birds can really vary. I don't think it's a Sharp-shinned Hawk. I had one take a chicken from my yard a few years back saw it up & close as it feed on the carcass over a couple days, small bird for a hawk. Whats throwing me on the Cooper ID is the breast color and that it's eating a mammal not an other bird.

I agree about the sharp shinned. I think you're right about that. It looks a little on the big side for a sharp shinned, and the legs are too big. The head also looks a little more like a Cooper's than a sharp shinned. The sharp shinned appears to have more head to body ratio than the Cooper's. I'm trying to get a look at the eyes to see if they're kind of reddish or not, but its hard to tell. I've seen the breast color on the Cooper's vary a bit and even the wing colors from juvenile to adult change from brown to a darker brown/gray. And, Cooper's hawks will eat small mammals, although they're more often likely to take a bird if they can. Hard to tell.

I also believe its a Cooper's. Their colors can variate widely along with their size. Its probably a female.

that is awesome that you have a hawk as a hunting sidekick....I was surprised there were no "BeastMaster" references in this thread (although I think he had a falcon). Also...very cool pics.

Back
Top Bottom