Has anyone seen a .500 S&W AR platform?

I'm not familiar with .458 Socom ballistics. Would the .50 AE or .50 Beowulf offer more punch?

I have a .50ae Tromix Sledgehammer AR already, and a few NES'ers already have the .50 Beowulf platform. I'm looking into a .500 Phantom AR upper as we speak.

Muhahahahahahahaaaaaaaa..... [wink][smile]

The problem is not the length or the power of the 500 mag. It is the rim. The 500mag is a rimmed cartridge. This can cause many problems with an auto feeding gun.
The first problem is mag stacking the rim of the 500mag will cause mag stacking problems in the magazine and the bullets will be forced down into a non feeding position. Maybe you could get a mag to stack two rounds then the gun would be a low cap two shooter. The next problem is that there are no bolts for a rimmed cartridge and I don't think one could be engineered that would actually work. The last problem is that the 500mag is a straight walled shell, The Beowulf and others are tapered wall shells, the taper is better for chambering and extraction.
If you look at the dimensions of a 50 Beowulf and a 500mag they are in no way the same. The Beowulf brass is a 308 rimless rim and the shell is tapered. I know this because I researched the reloading of the Beowulf and found you need Beowulf reloading dies and could not reload this cartridge using 500mag dies.
The only way I could see this configuration done is in a single shot AR configuration and the bolt would still be a very large problem to overcome. This project would be a waste of time and money.

Back
Top Bottom