• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone had a hearing with Police Chief

I applied for a class A LTC recently and received a letter from the chief of police today saying I had to appear for a hearing to determine my suitability to become a license holder and at that time will "have the opportunity to provide evidence in support of your recent application."

What does this mean? How can I prepare for such a meeting?

It sounds to me as if he's trying to prepare you for the fact that he's strongly disinclined to give you a Class A (at least without serious restrictions), and would prefer not to have to give anybody any kind of license. If you really want to get the best license you can, I'd strongly suggest contacting one of the attorneys on this forum, paying a few hundred dollars more, and walking in with both professional preparation and representation.

Ken

I applied for a class A LTC recently and received a letter from the chief of police today saying I had to appear for a hearing to determine my suitability to become a license holder and at that time will "have the opportunity to provide evidence in support of your recent application."

What does this mean? How can I prepare for such a meeting?

Where do you live?

x2 on getting an attorney. Once the card has been dealt you will have it for 10 years before trying again so give it your best shot.

Hearing with Chief of Police

This is in Needham.

Does anybody know how much an attorney might cost for going with me?

I wouldn't consult an attorney unless and until you are denied. Trying to seemingly strongarm the chief on the first meeting with an attorney present may draw a "battle line" and worsen your situation right off the bat.

Many chiefs don't care about being sued...it's business as usual for them. If you try to impose the threat of suit by bringing an attorney with you, they may just take you up on it and say "See ya" and pass the ball back to you....which means time and money out of your pocket.

I wouldn't consult an attorney unless and until you are denied. Trying to seemingly strongarm the chief on the first meeting with an attorney present may draw a "battle line" and worsen your situation right off the bat.

I'm inclined to agree. I had the "come and have a talk with the Chief" thing twice here in Bolton (two different Chiefs) and each time it was just a laidback chit-chat where we shot the breeze about all kinds of things, most of them totally unrelated to guns and LTCs. I kinda enjoyed the chance to get to know them a little, and there was no problem getting my LTC-A/ALP.

I'd think there's some kind of a difference in an official notice of a "hearing" and a "Hey, come on down and we can chat a bit" thing. Unless this is SOP for all applicants in Needham.

Did you forget something in your past that you should have noted on your app?

I'd think there's some kind of a difference in an official notice of a "hearing" and a "Hey, come on down and we can chat a bit" thing. Unless this is SOP for all applicants in Needham.

Yeah - I missed the word "hearing" in the original post. That does put a different spin on things.

I'm inclined to agree. I had the "come and have a talk with the Chief" thing twice here in Bolton (two different Chiefs) and each time it was just a laidback chit-chat where we shot the breeze about all kinds of things, most of them totally unrelated to guns and LTCs. I kinda enjoyed the chance to get to know them a little, and there was no problem getting my LTC-A/ALP.

Receiving a a letter from the chief of police saying one has to appear for a hearing to determine one's suitability to become a license holder and at that time will "have the opportunity to provide evidence in support of your recent application" hardly sounds like an invitation to "come and have a talk with the Chief" to me. It reads a lot more like an invitation to appear before the Holy Office of the Inquisition, where one will be given an opportunity to confess one's sins and purge one's soul of whatever vile heresies one now holds. Having legal representation won't make the meeting a confrontation any more than carrying a gun will make you a killer; either one simply means that you'll be properly prepared for whatever confrontation someone else wants to create.

Ken

x2 on getting an attorney. Once the card has been dealt you will have it for 10 years before trying again so give it your best shot.

Really? And just what "card" are you referring to?

A firearms license is good for a maximum of 6 years.

Really? And just what "card" are you referring to?

A firearms license is good for a maximum of 6 years.

And there is no statute saying you can't reapply before the 6 years is up.

Even still, I'd be inclined to go with a lawyer. Chiefs who are disposed to giving ALP are great, but this sounds like an inherently anti chief. Have you checked the "Guide to your gun rights" thread in the general forum? I'm not sure if there is any history there on your town. If people are not getting ALP from him generally you aren't going to hurt your chances going in with a lawyer.

That said, I'd call and ask for an explination of "hearing" just to make sure it is not the "chat" that Dick is thinking of. My guess is it isn't based on the language.

Matt

I recieved my class A for all lawful purposes from the Needham Police Department around 2002. I can not say enough nice things about the professionalism of the department and of the way they handled my application. I recieved my license in a timely manner (2 weeks I think) and was always greeted with a hand shake and a smile whenever I went in to speak with them. I did not have to meet with the Chief though I did speak with him on the phone. I imagine they have changed policies over the course of a few years, but I think you will find dealing with the department a pleasent experience, as I did. Best of luck in your quest!

Meeting with Chief of Police

Needham requires you to go in and apply in person and when I did the Sgt. was very polite and even told me they do not issue licences with restrictions.
I don't know if that is good or bad. I'd like an unrestricted one but if the choice is that or no license I'd take restrictions.

I'm wondering if maybe this is a reaction to the horrible events of the week and the chief is being extra cautious. They have had my application for a month and the letter is dated the day after the massacre.

Needham requires you to go in and apply in person and when I did the Sgt. was very polite and even told me they do not issue licences with restrictions.
I don't know if that is good or bad. I'd like an unrestricted one but if the choice is that or no license I'd take restrictions.

I'm wondering if maybe this is a reaction to the horrible events of the week and the chief is being extra cautious. They have had my application for a month and the letter is dated the day after the massacre.
So it sounds like they're asking for a second visit ("a hearing") and it was not mentioned when you originally applied in person. Advice to talk to a lawyer is very good.

I would also try to talk to someone at the PD ahead of time. I'd start with the Sgt. and see if you can get the real scoop, then maybe go call the chief. If they tell you something like they've changed procedures due to recent events you might want to point out that your application predates this change and should be grandfathered. If the Sgt. tells you it's always been that way then ask why it wasn't mentioned before. IANAL but I imagine info like this might be useful when you do talk to one.

Good luck.

It reads a lot more like an invitation to appear before the Holy Office of the Inquisition, where one will be given an opportunity to confess one's sins and purge one's soul of whatever vile heresies one now holds.

Haha, yes and if you drown in the water-submerging test you're not a witch!

I think that you need to get a lawyer on this. Being told to submit evidence at a "hearing" is not a friendly chat with the PD. Sounds like they're coming down on you hard, so respond in kind. Couldn't hurt to talk to the issuing officer first to figure out why this is necessary.

I'd check in with a lawyer first and get a professional's opinion. Doesn't mean you have to take the lawyer to the hearing, but talking to one beforehand could do worlds of good to help you get prepared - what to bring with you, what kind of questions to expect, how to answer, etc.

I'd check in with a lawyer first and get a professional's opinion. Doesn't mean you have to take the lawyer to the hearing, but talking to one beforehand could do worlds of good to help you get prepared - what to bring with you, what kind of questions to expect, how to answer, etc.

Spot on advice. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. I wouldn't have an attorney accompany me to the hearing, but they certainly can help prepare you for the meeting.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Back
Top Bottom