Harvard sportsman club

There is a breakfast open to the public on the 6th of October. I think they run bi-weekly after that.

They're monthly, and they are delicious. Great way for people interested in the club to come by and meet members.

I just joined HSC - went through the membership meeting and safety class, just don't have a card yet. Anyways, my question was: if I wanted to go shoot tomorrow morning, what're the chances of catching someone if I wait by the gate? Wasn't sure if post summer Sunday mornings are dead

Would anyone be able to sponsor me at the next members meeting?
Generally members of HSC (that I know if) are not willing to just sponsor anyone who asks, most people want to know, or have at least met with and shot with the person requesting the sponsorship. Many of HSC's activities are open to the public and are a great way to meet new members. The monthly breakfasts on the 2nd Sunday of each month, the weekly IPSC practices on Wednesdays 5-7 are examples of these opportunities. They both welcome new shooters and perspective new members to come and take a look at what HSC has to offer, and many times you'll meet someone willing to give you a tour and a sponsorship.

Generally members of HSC (that I know if) are not willing to just sponsor anyone who asks, most people want to know, or have at least met with and shot with the person requesting the sponsorship. Many of HSC's activities are open to the public and are a great way to meet new members. The monthly breakfasts on the 2nd Sunday of each month, the weekly IPSC practices on Wednesdays 5-7 are examples of these opportunities. They both welcome new shooters and perspective new members to come and take a look at what HSC has to offer, and many times you'll meet someone willing to give you a tour and a sponsorship.

Now that my wife finally has her license we are looking to join a club as we need a place to shoot. I'd definitly like to get into ISPC and/or IDPA and get back into shooting my rifle and going after some clays with my shotgun. We also have two little girls, the oldest will be 5 soon, and I am wanting to have a place I can take her starting next year and get her plinking on a 22 rifle. Are there other members who bring their kids as well? How "family friendly" is HSC?

It seems like HSC has everything we are looking for. I was thinking of stopping by on a Wednesday to take a look (I'm no longer geared up for ISPC or IDPA) and maybe for the breakfast in October with my wife to check the place out. What time does the breakfast run to/from? I didn't see it on the calendar when I was ont he website.

~SW

Last edited:
Now that my wife finally has her license we are looking to join a club as we need a place to shoot. I'd definitly like to get into ISPC and/or IDPA and get back into shooting my rifle and going after some clays with my shotgun. We also have two little girls, the oldest will be 5 soon, and I am wanting to have a place I can take her starting next year and get her plinking on a 22 rifle. Are there other members who bring their kids as well? How "family friendly" is HSC?

It seems like HSC has everything we are looking for. I was thinking of stopping by on a Wednesday to take a look (I'm no longer geared up for ISPC or IDPA) and maybe for the breakfast in October with my wife to check the place out. What time does the breakfast run to/from? I didn't see it on the calendar when I was ont he website.

~SW

HSC is very family friendly. I often see parents with their kids at the ranges, and once my son is old enough I plan on bringing him to the club to learn how to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate to bring young kids, as long as they have learned and understand the safety rules.

Breakfast starts at 8 AM and runs until around 10:30 or so I believe.

This was in the weekly newsletter. It demonstrates how kid-friendly they are:

HSC FUN SHOOT!!!
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
9:00 - 1:00
CLASS III RANGE

Free hats...until they run out.
Free lunch ...until food runs out

Raffle Prizes: 6 guns will be given away...

The primary goal of this great event is to have more HSC families involve their children as Junior members. The Junior membership fee is only $15, and if they are active Junior members when they turn 18, there is no initiation fee to upgrade to Senior or Student membership.

Junior memberships require a parent permission slip. Forms can be downloaded from the HSC website/forum. So become a Junior member now and we hope to see you at the Fun Shoot.

This event is Open to ALL members at no cost. It is especially designed for Juniors and beginner shooters.

Whether it’s a .22 rifle, a .38 revolver, or a .30-30 lever-action, bring your favorite fun-gun to the range and join the fun.

Prizes are available to Harvard Sportsmen's Club members only.
Many thanks to Four Seasons firearms for supplying the prizes at dealer cost.

HSC’s popular and successful Junior Marksmanship Program takes place every Tuesday and will continue throughout the cold season. Juniors receive top-notch riflery instruction using both smallbore and air rifles.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring young kids, as long as they have learned and understand the safety rules.
This is good to hear, sounds like a wonderful club. We started working on gun safety with her earlier his year. She takes it very seriously, which astounds me. I'm pretty sure I took nothing seriously when I was 5, but we wanted to start in on her as early as possible.

Breakfast starts at 8 AM and runs until around 10:30 or so I believe.

Sounds great, we are hoping to make it. Would love to check the place out and meet folks.

This was in the weekly newsletter. It demonstrates how kid-friendly they are:

{A bunch of awesomeness snipped}

I can't tell you how excited that makes me. I got my start with my grandfather bringing me to CMP events when I was pretty young. Any club that promotes and caters to getting children involved as much as possible is a great club. I will definitely try and get my daighter involved in the Junior Marksmanship Program in a couple of years.

Confirmed plans to be able to show up tomorrow to check out tomorrow nights IPSC shoot. I won't be participating but I'd like to show up and check it out as it is something I am interesting in doing in the future. Anything special i need to do? Or can I show up and figure out where to park and go fairly easily?

Confirmed plans to be able to show up tomorrow to check out tomorrow nights IPSC shoot. I won't be participating but I'd like to show up and check it out as it is something I am interesting in doing in the future. Anything special i need to do? Or can I show up and figure out where to park and go fairly easily?

Eyes and Ears are obvious.
Come down the dirt road action pits are going to be your first left - you should see a few cars parked setting up or already shooting.
Be friendly and just let them know your checking out the club and the practice. If you have the gear to shoot they are always kind enough to teach a new shooter the ropes. Only load and make ready when your told is important, its a cold range unless your the shooter. Have fun and enjoy!

Eyes and Ears are obvious.
Come down the dirt road action pits are going to be your first left - you should see a few cars parked setting up or already shooting.
Be friendly and just let them know your checking out the club and the practice. If you have the gear to shoot they are always kind enough to teach a new shooter the ropes. Only load and make ready when your told is important, its a cold range unless your the shooter. Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I definitely don't have the gear any longer. My 92fs is the only handgun I still have, and I do not even have a proper holster for it any longer. I'm looking at an M&P or a Glock for Production/Stock divisions for IDPA & IPSC. It's been about 10 years since I've stepped in an action pit (since before I moved to Mass), so I am really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Just want to say I was able to show up and meet a great bunch of guys. I got a personal tour and they twisted my arm to take a couple of runs through the action pit even though I was only there to watch and didn't bring anything but eyes and ears. And by twisted my arm I mean someone said "Hey do you wanna..." and I jumped at the chance. I even got invited to the pizza joint after, which was fun as well.

Big thanks to Dan who loaned me his gun and let me shoot up his ammo. I'll be buying his pizza and beer next time. Great guy, great club, great folks.

Just want to say I was able to show up and meet a great bunch of guys. I got a personal tour and they twisted my arm to take a couple of runs through the action pit even though I was only there to watch and didn't bring anything but eyes and ears. And by twisted my arm I mean someone said "Hey do you wanna..." and I jumped at the chance. I even got invited to the pizza joint after, which was fun as well.

Big thanks to Dan who loaned me his gun and let me shoot up his ammo. I'll be buying his pizza and beer next time. Great guy, great club, great folks.

This right here is why I love HSC. I wasn't able to make practice last night, but hopefully I'll see you around.

What time does breakfast start and typically end? I could use an excuse to shoot both days of the weekend :D

Breakfast goes from 8:00 to about 10:30. Buffet style means you can be in and out as fast as you can fill your pie hole. Of course, if you have a few extra minutes, we always need help, especially for straightening up afterward.

Went to the member meeting on Thursday and brought the wife and kids along. We both joined, I think the wife may have been more excited then me even. We also went to the breakfast on Sunday. Wonderful meal, wonderful people. We got the full fledged safety meeting/tour after we ate and then hung around for a bit. I got the wife shotting at some clays with a shotgun for the first time. We stopped on the way out at the 7yd range and went through a few rounds of ammo on my pistol before we left. Wife is already making plans for shopping (She needs a pistol too!), as well as our next trip out.

Went to the member meeting on Thursday and brought the wife and kids along. We both joined, I think the wife may have been more excited then me even. We also went to the breakfast on Sunday. Wonderful meal, wonderful people. We got the full fledged safety meeting/tour after we ate and then hung around for a bit. I got the wife shotting at some clays with a shotgun for the first time. We stopped on the way out at the 7yd range and went through a few rounds of ammo on my pistol before we left. Wife is already making plans for shopping (She needs a pistol too!), as well as our next trip out.

Welcome!

My wife and I, and my business partner would like to become members of HSC. We live in Concord and Bedford, respectively. Given the Club's proximity to us, its reputation, and its many offerings, we think it is exactly what we are looking for. We have three children, so I was very encouraged by Smokewagon's experience.

I have checked out the calendar of events on HSC's site, but I am looking for recommendations as to events we should attend. As I understand it, attending events is the best route to meeting members and finding a sponsor. I am aware of the Sunday morning breakfast, but my wife works weekends, and I'm not sure it would be appropriate for me to show up with my three kids; they are still very young (4, 2 and 2).

Thank you in advance for your help.

James

Wednesday USPSA practice if you are even vaguely interested and have a pistol that you can use (or not if you just want to introduce yourself). It is always a good time to meet some people and get some good, free instruction in a great sport.

As long as the kids have hearing protection in case you take a walk around with someone, Sunday shouldn't be an issue with kids in my opinion as long as you are comfortable with them staying close and obeying you.

I am searching for a club and am looking at Harvard. I don't know anyone that is a member, at least I don't think I do. From reading some of these posts, the Wednesday USPSA practice seems like the common way to meet folks over there.

I have never participated in USPSA or any of these types of sports. Is that a problem? I would be a complete newb for action shooting, walking into your practice night. Weeknights are tough to get over there, but I can suck it up. I need a place mostly for rifle, as I have a local indoor pistol range already, but I am open to new things as well.

I am searching for a club and am looking at Harvard. I don't know anyone that is a member, at least I don't think I do. From reading some of these posts, the Wednesday USPSA practice seems like the common way to meet folks over there.

I have never participated in USPSA or any of these types of sports. Is that a problem? I would be a complete newb for action shooting, walking into your practice night. Weeknights are tough to get over there, but I can suck it up. I need a place mostly for rifle, as I have a local indoor pistol range already, but I am open to new things as well.

The practice is a great way to get an intro to USPSA and meet some club members. It's much lower stress and there's less going on than at a match, and people are always willing to teach a newbie.

Another good way to meet folks is at the monthly breakfasts which go on during the fall/winter. $6 all-you-can-eat buffet with all sorts of tasty stuff, and open to the public so anyone can come down and meet some club members. It just so happens that the next breakfast is this Sunday, so if weeknights are tough you should consider coming down on Sunday morning.

Back
Top Bottom