Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoot 8/29-30, 2009

please excuse the ignorance but what is this event, i've heard of it but never got details. i shoot mostly pistol but like to mix it up every once in a while

What the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) is all about:
The Appleseed Program is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman. All throughout American history, the rifleman has been defined as a marksman capable of hitting a man-sized target from 500 yards away — no ifs, ands or buts about it. This 500-yard range is traditionally known as "the rifleman's quarter-mile;" a rifleman can hit just about any target he can see. This skill was particulary evident in the birth of our country, and was the difference in winning the Revolutionary War.

So why me?
This country was founded and won by riflemen who fought and beat British forces. We invite all interested marksmen to learn the skills and techniques necessary to shoot proficiently; and then hope you'll participate in teaching and practicing with others so that together we can save this great land. Why you? Well, that's simple: if you're on this page we're betting you're a patriot, and we hope you answer the call.

What's a rifleman?
In short, a rifleman is an armed American, trained in the tradition of American Liberty. It's a man who has learned to shoot a rifle accurately — accurate enough to score "expert" on the Army Qualification Course. Until you can do that, you're considered a "Cook," unprepared and unqualified to carry a rifle on the firing line of freedom. But after attending an Appleseed AQT shoot, you'll have the credentials necessary to be a true rifleman, and will understand the critical need for defending freedom in this country.

The RWVA is dedicated to the Appleseed Program and encourages every American to learn to shoot.

More info here: www.appleseedinfo.org

It's been done before. Davilla, TX, IIRC. You guys aren't going to admit that a bunch of TEXANS are more hardy than us Yankees, are you????

Looks like after months of careful planing, yet another Appleseed has been shot in the arse for me. G/f is moving, and I have to help on Sat. From what I have read doing Sunday only (would be my first Appleseed) would be a bad thing. Maybe I can catch the next one.. [thinking]

Looks like after months of careful planing, yet another Appleseed has been shot in the arse for me. G/f is moving, and I have to help on Sat. From what I have read doing Sunday only (would be my first Appleseed) would be a bad thing. Maybe I can catch the next one.. [thinking]

There is one in Pelham, NH the following weekend. [wink]

It's true that Saturday is the better of the two days to attend, but we certainly don't have a problem with Sunday only shooters. We simply detach an instructor to work with the Sunday only shooters for the first couple-three hours to catch them up.

Looks like it's going to be a wet weekend. Bring ponchos (for you) and a large size garbage bag to place over your rifle AFTER the line gets cleared each time.

Be aware that the line is on bare dirt, so it WILL get muddy. You might want to rub your rifle down with a nice oily rag before the shoot AND after.

Harvard Sportsman's Assoc will be selling lunch both days - burgers, dogs, chips, water, etc.

As of right now, we are definitely still on. We may clear the line during thunder showers but if it's just raining, we're going to be shooting.

Shoulda brought a super soaker loaded with WD-40

Thanks to the Club & Croo for putting on another great outing.

Lessons learned include:
Nothing can expose the failings of machines like water & weather - same for poor clothing choices. I just reserve some clothing for the duck blind...

The more I learn more about technique, the more I need to practice

History - Learn from it

Bring a fire barrel to the next shoot...

You guys can't POSSIBLY be DONE already?!

Ross? What the heck?! I thought you were going to make these guys suffer?!

(any new, albeit soggy riflemen?)

Only one rifleman (well riflewoman) today. Our line got out at about 5:30 or so. I just finally got everything dried and oiled!

Timberland Pro/Carhart rain jackets and rain pants ROCK!

Thanks Jon, which range? (Sorry, should have asked that in previous post.)

When you come in the main access road take your first left to the action shooting bays. Turn left when you get in. We're using the last 2 bays.

So where were you?

Burn.

I learned something about equipment myself. Next time I'm bringing a bathing suit, snorkel, and kayak. Too bad its supposed to be nicer tomorrow so that will need to wait for the next one.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that when push came to shove back on April 19th the militia didn't look outside and complain about a little drizzle (which if memory serves it wasn't exactly a bright sunny warm day), they were more concerned with the downward spiral of the country side, and stepping up to the plate to stop it.

Looking forward to a dryer (or less wet?) day tomorrow.

7-DayForecastforLatitude4252NandLon.png

Another great shoot.

Definitely the epitome of a New England appleseed, pretty much both ends of the spectrum. Beware the next three day with a hurricane, hot sun, and a blizzard! [wink]

Good number of rifleman today too, I'll let Ross fill in the blanks later, I need to get cleaned up.

Dear G-d, I'm tired.

Sunburned today (I am REALLY a redneck tonight - well... OK, it's more dark brown. Not a burn but seriously dark colored), dehydrated (note to self - fill that cooler more next time!!), drowned yesterday, got three rifles and 11 mags that will need cleaning... AGAIN... and it was worth it. I think that John Adams would approve.

SIX, count 'em, SIX new Riflemen. SIX, count 'em, SIX new Instructors In Training - that's right, EVERY NEW RIFLEMAN took an orange hat!! We threw between 1100 and 1200 rounds of lead downrange this weekend. That's NOT a typo. OVER ELEVEN HUNDRED ROUNDS. Two + boxes of Wally World value packs. And hammered out SIX riflemen on the anvil of the rapid-fire AQT.

The instructor crew was GREAT. Ninsho is now a full Instructor. The instructor crew also included DoesItComeInBlack (who's engaged to Ninsho), CortJestir, Smithy, JonJ, and Crak. Fantastic bunch of Americans. Crak ran the other line, handling all the newbies - when I grow up, I wanna be as good an instructor as Crak is. [smile]

I'll post some pictures when I have a little more energy.

Oh, yeah... real quick - seen on the line: a gazillion Ruger 10/22-based LTRs, three AR-15s, a temperamental SKS, a temperamental GSG-5, and a nice Winchester M1 Carbine.

Oh, and one more thing: it was a weekend for weird songs and sightings.

On the way to the shoot Saturday morning, my iPod came up with Garth Brooks' The Thunder Rolls. On the way home, it was Rodney Atkins singing "Cleaning This Gun".

This morning, as I'm explaining that a rifle is your best defense, and that the police have no legal obligation to defend you, a Harvard PD SUV pulls in to the shoot bay and parks there, and a Harvard cop gets out. Turns out it was the groundskeeper for HSA.

And last night at dinner, I'm sitting facing the bar, where two large screen TVs are on... and I look up just in time to see on one screen, Ted Kennedy's hearse, and on the other screen, a MADD ad that says "Drunk Drivers Cost Lives". Damn near choked on my drink laughing.

I like my new avatar....just sayin'

Can't wait to start trainin' with my new orange hat too!

Just keep in mind you won't be sneaking up on anyone for a while in that one [wink]

Glad you made it, and congrats on the orange hat. The real lessons learned in my mind is in watching and coaching others. A lot of the mistakes we see on the line are mistakes we are making and need to be reminded of... and every so often we get lucky and its the other way around - and it makes a difference.

-

Now I need to take my new cast shaped, bright red sudburn, and get some sleep!

Back
Top Bottom