• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard, Littleton and Nashoba

Hey folks, I have some questions about some of the clubs in my area. I'm 5 minutes from Nashoba, 10 from Littleton and 15-20 from Harvard. I've heard a lot about Harvard, but not much about the other two. Some of the applications mention committees - how much time do these usually involve? What are your thoughts on Nashoba and Littleton? Nashoba is in walking distance, though lugging boxes of ammo and firearms through NARA park might raise some eyebrows. Both Littleton and Nashoba are inside the distance that make them very nice, not that Harvard is very much further.

Thanks for your help!

Depending on distance, Westford might be worth a look as well. I'm not familiar with Nashoba or Littleton, but Harvard is an excellent club. I'm currently a member at Westford, and I shoot at Harvard regularly for IDPA matches. I'll probably join Harvard eventually to get access to the 300 yard range.

There is no such requirement. You can save $75.00 on your renewal by volunteering for 4 hours on various range projects but participating is your decision.

Ah, good to know. I'm not opposed to helping out, just didn't want to get myself tied up in a huge time investment :) Thanks!

This might be a silly question...but is a Mass LTC required for membership at Harvard? My girlfriend has her LTC-A, and I'm registered for the Sept 1 GOAL class..but no license for me until after that class. I can obviously wait until after I get my permit, if need be.

Does Harvard get crowded? I'd hate to sign up and then not be able to get a stall anywhere to shoot. We'd be shooting handguns primarily, though I intend on moving to rifles eventually.

Harvard has a huge variety of ranges. I would think it's pretty rare that you can't find somewhere to shoot.

Westford is usually pretty quiet. Other than nice weekend days, I rarely even see someone else there.

Someone mentioned that Littleton is inactive outdoors, but has an indoor range. Somewhat true. We do have an active group of .22 caliber gallery shooters that participate in the Nashoba Valley League. Currently we are holding practice sessions on Wednesday evenings at 7 pm. We're working on the outdoor ranges but it's going to take awhile to get to where we want them to be. Our dues are but $100/year, no initiation fees, no work requirement. The outdoor ranges are open to all members; the indoor range requires simply getting checked out by our range safety officer first. We do restrict the indoor pistol range to non magnum loads, and no jacketed ammo. We just cleared out the trap range this summer and installed a new target holding system on the 100 yard range. Let's just say that it's a work in progress. You can check out our new website: Littletonsportsman.com.
Jim

I was a member at Nashoba a long time ago... junior member in the early 90s. I'd visited every weekend as a pup with my dad back when he'd shoot trap there in the 70s. Back then, it was quite the lively place (at least for trap). These days, it seems pretty dead, at least the few times I've been down there recently.

Oh yeah - and the ranges are closed on weekends. [crying]

Another +1 for Harvard from me.

This might be a silly question...but is a Mass LTC required for membership at Harvard? My girlfriend has her LTC-A, and I'm registered for the Sept 1 GOAL class..but no license for me until after that class. I can obviously wait until after I get my permit, if need be.

Does Harvard get crowded? I'd hate to sign up and then not be able to get a stall anywhere to shoot. We'd be shooting handguns primarily, though I intend on moving to rifles eventually.

To the best of my knowledge no LTC is required but you will have to be a member of the NRA. The only time the ranges are crowded is for scheduled activities, easily checked on the Harvard website. Other than at events, the plate rack is the only place you might have to wait. They get heavy usage. During the week, the ranges are pretty much empty and busier on weekends.

The ammo restrictions are posted. No .22 caliber in the action pits for instance, unless an authorized event like the Appleseed shoots. I also believe magnum loads can't be used on the plate rack but I might not be correct on that. In general, you will not find a range in this state with fewer restrictions

To the best of my knowledge no LTC is required but you will have to be a member of the NRA. The only time the ranges are crowded is for scheduled activities, easily checked on the Harvard website. Other than at events, the plate rack is the only place you might have to wait. They get heavy usage. During the week, the ranges are pretty much empty and busier on weekends.

The ammo restrictions are posted. No .22 caliber in the action pits for instance, unless an authorized event like the Appleseed shoots. I also believe magnum loads can't be used on the plate rack but I might not be correct on that. In general, you will not find a range in this state with fewer restrictions

Correct, no rimfire or magnums on the plate rack. I eye that plate rack every time I pass by. It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of joining Harvard.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm leaning towards Harvard (surprise surprise), will have to talk it over with my girlfriend.

Are the SASS gangs there newbie friendly? It looks like fun, though I've never actually witnessed it in person. The start-up cost is murder, though...

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm leaning towards Harvard (surprise surprise), will have to talk it over with my girlfriend.

Are the SASS gangs there newbie friendly? It looks like fun, though I've never actually witnessed it in person. The start-up cost is murder, though...

All of the shooting disciplines at Harvard are friendly to newbies as long as you shoot safe. Agreed on SASS costs. Although, I have been told, everyone needs to have a lever action rifle.

I have been a member of all those clubs and am now only a member at Harvard. Big Gun has already mentioned Littleton and I quit Nashoba when the idiot on the lawn tractor drove out into the range and started mowing the lawn without telling the shooters. The president and vice president refused to make him stop. Harvard has everything. As Jack said it also has full auto. Do you have an FID? If so shoot long guns until you get your LTC or shoot with your girlfriend. Harvard is a great club. If you'd like to take a look,I'm there every weekend morning.

Yup, Harvard has more than the others. But, I'm a member of both Harvard and Westford... there are a few features of Westford that make it worth it to me to have two memberships at once:

1. It is quieter, particularly on a weekday, for times that I just want to be the only one there and concentrate on sighting in a new rifle or something. (If no one is around, I can walk back and forth to the targets all I want to examine the groupings and not have to worry about annoying anyone by making the range cold every 5 minutes.)

2. I can put the target stands anywhere I want (for the pistol range). At Harvard, they have to be by the berm. Of course, Harvard has both 7 yard and 25 yard pistol ranges to help out with different shooting distances, but I often like to put the targets at precise distances other than 7 or 25 yards (to experiment with where my bullets impact at various distances, see how the group spreads at different distances, etc.)

3. From the rifle range, I can shoot at 25, 50 and 100 yards without having to switch ranges. At Harvard, if I sight in at 25 yards and then want to shoot it at 100, I have to pack up and drive around the corner to the 100 yard range.

Westford also has larger target stands including one that's designed to hold bottles in front of the berm (at Harvard I'm placing the bottles on the berm).

Either (or both!) would be an excellent choice.

We are looking at Harvard and Westford, probably gonna go for a drive and see what it is like to get to them...they are about the same distance, but little things could tip the tide.

We were thinking of swinging by and signing up at Harvard this past week, but she got stuck at work and we missed it. We'll see what happens in the coming month :)

I don't have an LTC or an FID right now, I just moved here 6 months ago from Pennsylvania and slacked a bit on getting this all started. My class is soon, and from what I gather Westford is (comparatively) quick about turning around LTC apps, so hopefully by sometime in September I'll be ready to rock.

Harvard Sportsman Club New Membership!

[wink]The club ask that you give 4 hours volunteer work on a range once a year! In addition for your work and service too the club after the first year the annual yearly dues is reduced from $150.00 to $75.00[grin] if you continue the 4 hour volunteer service helping to clean up the range in the spring! Also you will not find a better facility where every shooting displine is welcome. Best of all you won't find a more dedicated group of members commited to their club and the shooting sports.[grin] This past weekend was a good example the New England Regional IDPA match was held there and it was one one of the best organized and run match's I have ever seen let alone attended. There was absolutely nothing overlooked right down to the smallest detail. The team that organized the match deserves all the thanks of everyone who attended for such a great time and fun match! [smile] Too those that are Members of MRA an other clubs thinking of joining Harvard[wink] I say "welcome" Ya, I'm a member of Harvard, Ya, I am prejudice in my opinion, Ya, your right "I'm proud to be a Member of the Harvard Sportsman Club"!!!!!!!![smile]

Back
Top Bottom