Harvard Appleseed Sept 14-15

Well, i learned a lot, my son learned a lot, we're beat. Rifles dirty, brain mush, elbow raw, aches all around lol

Good times!

The volunteers do such an awesome job, the heritage stories were great. My 16 year old enjoyed it. Still hoping to make it for day two, as my shooting was fair to poor. I will not be using a bolt action if do come...that was a bitch.

One I did my appleseed, there was someone with a semi tube fed and he had trouble completing the AQTs. He was shooting awesome, but the reloads were killing him, especially with the speed AQTs that are favored in this area.

I can only imagine how much more challenging the AQT is with a tube fed bolt action :)

One I did my appleseed, there was someone with a semi tube fed and he had trouble completing the AQTs. He was shooting awesome, but the reloads were killing him, especially with the speed AQTs that are favored in this area.

I can only imagine how much more challenging the AQT is with a tube fed bolt action :)

You know you want to do one with a Mosin!

Who can tell me what to expect on day 2 for the shooting portion? Pretty much same or is it different?

Last edited:
Who can tell me what to expect on day for the shooting portion? Pretty much same or is it different?

Less training, more AQTs and more practice. Probably more rounds downrange. If you're bringing a new rifle, make sure the RSOs know that you'll be sighting it in and will be doing squares for a bit.

Less training, more AQTs and more practice. Probably more rounds downrange. If you're bringing a new rifle, make sure the RSOs know that you'll be sighting it in and will be doing squares for a bit.

Thanks, but since my son isn't going, I've cleaned and commandeered his 10-22.

Lot's of fun out there this weekend! Good to see some NES faces! The next one is just over 30 days way... need to get more .22!!

Lot's of fun out there this weekend! Good to see some NES faces! The next one is just over 30 days way... need to get more .22!!

Good to hear that you had a great time! Sounds like somebody is motivated to earn that coveted Rifleman patch. Awesome!

You have a little over a month until the next event. Here's what YOU CAN DO to help get you over the top ( the 210 score).

1. Find ammo!

2. Resolve any equipment issues.
Do I have enough mazines?
Do I have a sling? (You can purchase one from the on-line Appleseed store)
Make sure your rifle is clean, lubricated and good to go for the next Appleseed.

3. Read through ALL the handouts. (And apply what you read!)

4. Practice. Practice. Practice.
Dryfiring is FREE (just be sure to do it safely). Memorize and practice the 6 steps!
Practice NPOA... Practice NPOA.. Practice NPOA...
Practice your positions (which one was the most challenging -- work it!)
Practice your transitions.

A Rifleman persists! You CAN do this!

Last edited:
I'm not as sore this morning as I thought I would be. My brain was mush though. Watching Thumper jump and down when he made it gave me a nice boost in the afternoon.

A few things to tweak on the rifle, lots of practice and few more days and I plan on that being me. I wish I could make it out in October, it would be nice to keep the momentum going.

Good to meet yah John. How'd you do after my daughter and her fiance dragged me away? He had to fly out to Florida early this AM and had a bunch of stuff to do before he left.

I'm in pain, but not as much as my 1st Appleseed, a few years back. Believe it or not, I still managed to skin my support elbow through those elbow pads. The cup must've dug into the side of my elbow.

That was my last attempt at iron sites. To me, the fuzz is the three hundred yard targets. The 400 yard is a grey line below them.
Next attempt I'm using a scope. Matt aka lupis42, told me that he and his wife would dry fire prone every night before bed. I've always meant to practice, but you know how it goes. This time I'm going to try to do ten minutes a night, once my elbow heals. Hope to see you in October.

I'm not as sore this morning as I thought I would be. My brain was mush though. Watching Thumper jump and down when he made it gave me a nice boost in the afternoon.

A few things to tweak on the rifle, lots of practice and few more days and I plan on that being me. I wish I could make it out in October, it would be nice to keep the momentum going.

Someone got a patch on Sunday? That's great. By 3pm i was just getting too frustrated...I shot my best AQT first try Sunday AM and then started futzin around with everything...scores went down down down lol

Someone got a patch on Sunday? That's great. By 3pm i was just getting too frustrated...I shot my best AQT first try Sunday AM and then started futzin around with everything...scores went down down down lol

The Navy guy to our left earned a patch.

I hit the same wall you did shortly after. It got to the point I realized I was just blowing through ammo and not accomplishing anything anymore. Once all the stupid little mistakes started happening I knew it was time to pack up and call it a weekend.

I actually epoxied one end of the dunk's straws and it worked flawlessly. 10 round gravity feed.

- - - Updated - - -

The Navy guy to our left earned a patch.

I hit the same wall you did shortly after. It got to the point I realized I was just blowing through ammo and not accomplishing anything anymore. Once all the stupid little mistakes started happening I knew it was time to pack up and call it a weekend.

Ha! The NRA instructor? He should have had it before lunch...[rofl]

Three shooters earned patches on Sunday afternoon... Navy guy and Laura (she scored higher then her hubby!!) both scored Rifleman twice and joined the Orange Hats!!
Another guy (with glasses who had trouble with his Ruger earlier in the day) got his patch with a score of exactly 210 points- enough to make it. Matt explained the tradition is that whoever scores exactly 210 gets thrown in a lake....bottle of water over the head had to do at Harvard!!
It was a good time... just remember to score at least a 211 [grin]

Three shooters earned patches on Sunday afternoon... Navy guy and Laura (she scored higher then her hubby!!) both scored Rifleman twice and joined the Orange Hats!!
Another guy (with glasses who had trouble with his Ruger earlier in the day) got his patch with a score of exactly 210 points- enough to make it. Matt explained the tradition is that whoever scores exactly 210 gets thrown in a lake....bottle of water over the head had to do at Harvard!!
It was a good time... just remember to score at least a 211 [grin]

I was the one that scored the 210.

The problem I had with the rifle ended up being the craptacular ammo I tried to use once I ran out of the good stuff. When 20 rounds of it had the loaner rifle producing the same failure to extract malfunctions I was getting, it more or less confirmed the issue. Once it was cleaned and I switched to CCI Mini Mags, there were no further issues.

I would like to thank Patrick for all the help and the loaner rifle. I couldn't have done it without him.

I am thinking about showing up in October to see if I can do better than 210.

Anyone know where to find ammo? I am now technically out (a couple of hundred of the "special" rounds don't count).

Gratz on perservering. [cheers]

Ammo is critical, especially when dealing with the wild variations in quality with .22

I'm looking into going to the one in October with my wife and two kids. The problem I'm running into is my twin girls are 10 and I'm not sure they're up to two days of that. I've tried them out with 10/22s with slings (prone) and they have a lot of trouble getting the sling to be of any use because their left arm doesn't extend far enough forward to meet the QD mount location (I have ATI stocks on the 10/22s). I told them to suck it up but I'm not sure that's going to work for a weekend. Were there any kids there that young?

Thanks!

It's free for them. If they're dead tired at the end of the day just don't being them back Sun.

No little one's where there that weekend.

I'm looking into going to the one in October with my wife and two kids. The problem I'm running into is my twin girls are 10 and I'm not sure they're up to two days of that. I've tried them out with 10/22s with slings (prone) and they have a lot of trouble getting the sling to be of any use because their left arm doesn't extend far enough forward to meet the QD mount location (I have ATI stocks on the 10/22s). I told them to suck it up but I'm not sure that's going to work for a weekend. Were there any kids there that young?

Thanks!

I've had kids younger than that on my line before. And, I might add, many of them did indeed stay through the entire weekend and work hard at it. Why not ask the girls if they want to come? And the instructors will work with them to find a way to set the rifles up for them.

Back
Top Bottom