Harvard Appleseed Sept 14-15

slap shot

NES Member
Just put some slings on some long guns tonight. Getting ready for the Appleseed in 2 weeks. Anyone else here going? I registered for one earlier but it was cancelled due to lack of instructors. I'm hoping this one happens.

Just ordered a couple of 10/22 mags so I think we're good to go. I'll be doin' it old school with my bolt action and tubular mag lol

Where we drinking after the Saturday session???

I'll be there too! Also registered for the last one... this will be my first. I was told they will help out zero in sights... I'll need help!
Hoping to have the chance to check out the club while I'm there. (I assumed you are talking about the one at Harvard, not Leyden- there are two the same weekend.) Which one ya in for?

If I can figure out how to dial in my sights I really want to go to that one.

for what it is worth, dialing in your sights or scope is part of the Saturday process at the appleseeds I've attended.

if you've used the Tech Sights they used to suggest on their LTR (before the Marlin one), they can be adjusted with a .30 cal bullet

- - - Updated - - -

Just ordered a couple of 10/22 mags so I think we're good to go. I'll be doin' it old school with my bolt action and tubular mag lol

Where we drinking after the Saturday session???

if you have a bolt gun, you are not going to be able to keep up with the timed AQT's

for what it is worth, dialing in your sights or scope is part of the Saturday process at the appleseeds I've attended.

if you've used the Tech Sights they used to suggest on their LTR (before the Marlin one), they can be adjusted with a .30 cal bullet

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know, I thought they wanted you to show up with it already zeroed.

I just put tech sights on a 10/22. They look great compared to the stock ones but they look like they might hit something two lanes over at this point.

if you have a bolt gun, you are not going to be able to keep up with the timed AQT's

Not true, Jay - I've seen it done. Heck, I've done it myself. You do need a bit of practice, but it's quite doable.

BTW... first time I saw it done, a 12 year old boy shot a 240 on the rapid-fire AQT using a bolt-action .22.

LEFT-HANDED. [grin]

TBH, I was a bit concerned about using the bolt action but i asked the question in another thread and was told it's do able. I've had it for about 30 years so i'm pretty comfortable with it.

Also bringing a 10/22 so maybe i'll get to try that also.

Last edited:
TBH, I was a bit concerned about using the bolt action but i asked the question in another thread and was told it's do able. I've had it for about 30 years so i'm pretty comfortable with it.

Bring it - they'll work with you with whatever rifle you have.

In terms of zeroing, the rifle should be close before you bring it. If you can't hit paper at 25 meters, fix it before you show up. They'll spend a little time helping you zero it tighter.

Thanks Dwarven, The gun is accurate, I was just worried about the tube fed magazine. I can see myself dropping rounds all over the ground while the clock is ticking lol.

I've done Appleseeds with both .22lr and 5.56. And I've seen several others with 7.62.
.22lr is of course cheapest.
the AQTs are easier with 20 and 30 round mags (40 round mags would be best) so 5.56 works well.

Thanks Dwarven1, The gun is accurate, I was just worried about the tube fed magazine. I can see myself dropping rounds all over the ground while the clock is ticking lol.
Fixed that for you... the one isn't silent.

Either get a speedloader for the tube rifle OR stop at McDonalds and grab a bunch of soda straws. Theirs are big enough to hold .22 ammo nicely. Close one end with a staple.

So a 22LR vs. 5.56 or 7.62? What are people's thoughts on calibers?

Just remember, you're popping off around 500-600 rounds per day. Being a cheap bastard, I've done these with .22

And sadly, I won't be able to make that weekend. I hear tell there's one in October. I'll most likely make that one.

I used an inflatable camping pad. It was a little short, but worked well.

Recommend some elbow pads too!

I'm not going to make it to the appleseed this weekend, I have to work [sad2]

Fixed that for you... the one isn't silent.

Either get a speedloader for the tube rifle OR stop at McDonalds and grab a bunch of soda straws. Theirs are big enough to hold .22 ammo nicely. Close one end with a staple.

Cool, i never saw a speed loader for the tube but the straw idea is great. I'll work on that tomorrow. Sorry about leaving the "1" off.

looks like a great weekend for weather... so how much ammo ya'll bringing?
I'm thinking 500 .22 for Saturday and 500 .223 for Sunday!

looks like a great weekend for weather... so how much ammo ya'll bringing?
I'm thinking 500 .22 for Saturday and 500 .223 for Sunday!

The last Appleseed my daughter and I went too I think we used about 1,300 rounds combined. I'm bringing 3,000 rounds for three of us, just to be safe.

I shot Rifleman with at Marlin 925 bolt-gun and irons (Tec-sights) at Harvard! It can be done but it does add to the difficulty factor. After shooting Rifleman with a bolt-gun a semi-auto is way too easy.
Tubular mags do present a different set of challenges. You may want to bring a bunch of drinking straws as "speed-loaders" (your favorite fast-food joint may be able to provide you with a handful).

For Ammo.. bring whatever you want..but remember you WILL shoot a LOT.. I prefer a .22 because I am cheap..and because the range is only 25M.. but it ain't EASY...think postage stamps..

Appleseed is a blast. It is definitly time well spent. Any soreness of training will be long forgotten, but the pride in accomplishment will not.

Last edited:
Recommend some elbow pads too!
And make DAMNED sure you don't get sand under the pads as it'll grind a real nice hole in your flesh under recoil. Learned THAT the hard way at my first Appleseed, shooting a Garand.

Cool, i never saw a speed loader for the tube but the straw idea is great. I'll work on that tomorrow. Sorry about leaving the "1" off.

I've seen this on the line at Appleseeds before; seems to work really well:
Spee-D-Loader Spee-D-15 22 Cal Rimfire Tube Mag Rifle Ammo Loader

I see that Taurus makes something similar, too.
Taurus Rimfire Recharger Speedloader Taurus 62 63 Package of 2

The last Appleseed my daughter and I went too I think we used about 1,300 rounds combined. I'm bringing 3,000 rounds for three of us, just to be safe.

Sounds about right for a New England Appleseed. We shoot more up here than the rest of the country.

I actually grabbed a handful of the larger Dunk's straws and epoxied the bottoms so they stay round. The staple seemed to pinch.

9 rounds fit perfect. [cheers]

on a side note, i imagine everyone packs a cooler for lunch?

Not a whole lot of food options in the area, bring lunch, bring WATER, bring snacks, bring shade if you can.

Don't forget your ear and eye protection, and a hat will probably help as well.

Not a whole lot of food options in the area, bring lunch, bring WATER, bring snacks, bring shade if you can.

Don't forget your ear and eye protection, and a hat will probably help as well.

Cool, i'll pretend we're tailgating without the grill. :)

Back
Top Bottom