Hanscom AFB CCW?

I have a seminar coming up that's being held at Hanscom AFB (the base, not the civilian airport). What's the story with CCW there? Is it formally just MA territory, or is there a special designation, or other restriction?

Obviously I'll play it "safe" if I'm unsure, but I was wondering what the official word was. Disarming in the car is something I obviously try to avoid.

Forget it. The DOD barely trusts its own people let alone
civilians carrying on one of their facilities. A buddy of mine is in
the AF and can't even have a handgun locked up and unloaded in his
vehicle unless he's going straight to the sec forces armory to check it
in or back.

-Mike

Never on any military base/reservation, no how. Mike is right, even military aren't allowed to keep firearms on the base other than in the armory, locked up and secured by the security forces on that particular base.

Doesn't seem right

It seems wrong that military personal are not allowed to carry weapons on their own base. I've hunted on Otis for the last four years, not once has anyone asked to see what kind of firearms I was bringing on base. The guys at the gate barely looked at my ID, let alone see what was in my gun case. On opening day, there's about 400-500 hunters on base armed with shotguns, or BP rifles. Just my 2 cents.

Kurt

Base commanders have tremendous latitude - they can require visitors to check their guns, or just plan ban them with no checking available (something a friend in the Naval reserve found most annoying). There are cases, such as civilian shooting competitions held on military bases, where personal firearms are welcomed - but generally only when there is a specific approved purpose. I remember telling the soldier at the Quantico gate I was coming for the handgun match and the only response was a polite reminder that seat belt use was mandatory on base.

Q ... Will they check your gun at the armory? Keep me posted if you do check it!

If you are assigned to the base, they might do it. But if you are just a casual visitor I would consider it very unlikely.

I work on the base: No CCW. I was told when I took an NRA Pistol Course, taught by a retired LEO working as a security guard on base, that a firearm could be keep in a vehicle unloaded, in a locked container or trunk: basically in "MA transport condition". We were told this was the position of the base commander, that different installations may have somewhat different rules, and that the rules could be different for military, civilians, contractors and visitors.

Last edited:
I have a seminar coming up that's being held at Hanscom AFB (the base, not the civilian airport). What's the story with CCW there? Is it formally just MA territory, or is there a special designation, or other restriction?

Obviously I'll play it "safe" if I'm unsure, but I was wondering what the official word was. Disarming in the car is something I obviously try to avoid.

You can't bring a firearm on Military Bases. This precludes disarming in the vehicle and leaving it in the vehicle!

I looked and could not find anything specific to Hanscom, however this article from McConnell Air Force Base indicates that the policy there is very similar to what I have been told is the policy here:
On installation:
May not carry concealed weapon
Second, if on the installation, privately owned firearms must be transported in an unloaded configuration with the weapon and ammunition is separate compartments of the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom