• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW while Expired?

My LTC-A expired at the end of Feb. I had filed my renewal a few weeks prior to that but knew I had messed up waiting that long and am now waiting for the renewal to come in. Am I allowed to CCW/go to the range etc, now, or do I have to wait until the renewed CCW comes in? Didn’t know if there was a grace period or anything if I got my renewal in prior to my LTC expiring.

Thanks all.
Joe

That depends. Did you receive a receipt printed from MIRCS and signed by your chief? If so, it should state right on it IIRC, but if so you can carry/buy and sell until your new LTC comes in. HOWEVER, many places won't accept the receipt with expired LTC. You must carry both with you to cover yourself.

No letter or anything Lens. Just stopped by the local PD one day and gave the paperwork and check to the clerk working in the records office. She said it was all set. The licensing officer, who I know well, saw me and we spoke briefly. He stated as long as I got it in before it expires I’m “all set”. Never clarified what that statement meant.

No letter or anything Lens. Just stopped by the local PD one day and gave the paperwork and check to the clerk working in the records office. She said it was all set. The licensing officer, who I know well, saw me and we spoke briefly. He stated as long as I got it in before it expires I’m “all set”. Never clarified what that statement meant.
Then you’re boned without that receipt if you get stopped. Get back there and see if they can retroactively give you one.

iu

If you get a receipt, you’re good indefinitely. Without one, you can carry for 90 days.
For the purposes of section 10 of chapter 269, an expired license to carry firearms shall be deemed to be valid for a period not to exceed 90 days beyond the stated date of expiration, unless such license to carry firearms has been revoked.

i can never understand how some people let their ltc expire or wait until a few weeks before renewing. that expiration date is only behind remembering your wedding anniversary and the wife's/gf birthday. all cause big problems if they are missed.

i can never understand how some people let their ltc expire or wait until a few weeks before renewing. that expiration date is only behind remembering your wedding anniversary and the wife's/gf birthday. all cause big problems if they are missed.

I went two weeks before it expired, it shouldn't take any longer than my drivers lic.

A lot of posts on the forum about departments who won't book you an appointment until you are within a month of expiration and then it takes two months or more to get new LTC back and other places that only do so many a day and it takes two months or more to get an appointment.

A lot of posts on the forum about departments who won't book you an appointment until you are within a month of expiration and then it takes two months or more to get new LTC back and other places that only do so many a day and it takes two months or more to get an appointment.
i suppose, yes. i can only relate to my own experiences. considering the hoops and monetary whack we have to go thru in massachusetts, my city seems like ltc nirvana.

Mine expires in OCT.......I called in May last year and the licensing officer gave me an apt in June. In early August my new license came in. Some don't make you wait.

The last time mine expired in Oct. I had my "interview" in June... I called them on the day it was expiring, and they said they just got it. I think they were making that last part up, but it's how it went.

Mine expires in OCT.......I called in May last year and the licensing officer gave me an apt in June. In early August my new license came in. Some don't make you wait.
By doing this, didn't you lose a year on the new licence?

IIRC, the license runs until your 6th birthday after it's issued. If it's issued one day before your birthday, it expires 5 years and 1 day later. If issued the day after, it expires 1 day shy of 6 years later.

Following an 83 day processing time, my current license was officially issued 2 weeks after my birthday in 2017. It's good until my birthday in 2023 (5 years, 11.5 months later). How long does your current one run?

Last edited:
By doing this, didn't you lose a year on the new licence?

IIRC, the license runs until your 6th birthday after it's issued. If it's issued one day before your birthday, it expires 5 years and 1 day later. If issued the day after, it expires 1 day shy of 6 years later.

Following an 83 day processing time, my current license was officially issued 2 weeks after my birthday in 2017. It's good until my birthday in 2023 (5 years, 11.5 months later). How long does your current one run?
It originally expired in Oct 2017. Got my new one in August of 2017 with an exp date of Oct 2023.....so I did not lose a year.

It originally expired in Oct 2017. Got my new one in August of 2017 with an exp date of Oct 2023.....so I did not lose a year.
Out of curiosity, what's the date of issue shown on it, even though it came in August?

There's why. You had an active license so they backdated the new one to meet the expiry of the old one, and they expected you to keep using the old one until the new one came on. Surprising that they're that customer focused.

There's why. You had an active license so they backdated the new one to meet the expiry of the old one, and they expected you to keep using the old one until the new one came on. Surprising that they're that customer focused.
It sure is better than letting it expire and then applying for a renewal [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom