• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun in MRI suite shuts down imaging center

It was my understanding that some machines have permanent magnets and some don't. Either way, I thought they typically winch these things off. Of course, there's not always a great way to attach said winch.

lets hope they take photos!

Just did a google search for MRI horror stories. Here's a bunch of pics of stuff pulled into MRI machines.

Flying Objects!

Yeah there's some interesting stories there for sure! I had to work around an MRI once and the tech just casually says to me, "you know about the magnet, right?" Which I responded with a "no, I don't think so." Then she proceeded to tell me about the dangers etc., which was really informative because I had no idea. After she finished I just backed away holding my tool bag not sure how close is too close. Later I googled it and it seemed I was way too close.

The common theme though in all these accidents seems to be law enforcement and cleaning crews don't follow directions, LOL!

And what's with that poor horse--didn't they know he had metal shoes!

Last time I went for an MRI they wouldnt let me go through with it due to buckshot fragments in my skull and scalp. I told them that the fragments are lead and copper which are not attracted to magnets but they still wouldnt let me have the MRI.

Used to work at a Mass-Spec manufacturer. I remember the briefing about the guy who lost his hands when he was lifting a magnet with chains. There was this training video, too, of a (obviously staged) guy who wheels in a gas cylinder, that went flying across the room!

Hmmmm. Never actually worked on a big cryogenic magnet, but it being cold has nothing to do with needing to have current flowing in it. I would have assumed you could just shunt off the current to an external resistor, and eventually (meaning a frew seconds to minutes) most of the B field would be gone. You could leave it cold.

But I guess not:"An MRI shut down is a lengthy and
costly process called a quench. It
takes more than just a flick of a
switch to shut down the MRI magnet.
Dangerous gases are expelled
during a quench and all personnel
must be moved out of the MRI Suite
for their safety."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ufv811Q_RlqWmhFuhxASbzw&bvm=bv.42080656,d.dmg

What is this "dangerous" gas they speak of...helium?
The cryogens used in a superconductive magnet are liquid helium and liquid nitrogen. The danger in a quench would be rapidly released helium and nitrogen gases filling the space to cause suffocation. You'd have to see it to believe it, through a window that it.

Last time I went for an MRI they wouldnt let me go through with it due to buckshot fragments in my skull and scalp. I told them that the fragments are lead and copper which are not attracted to magnets but they still wouldnt let me have the MRI.

They were right to refuse you. I can't fully explain it scientifically but there's a lot going on with an MRI and when them waves come shooting through you you don't want any metal in the way. Imagine lead and copper in your microwave sparking, then imagine that same lead and copper in your head sparking. Not good.

YUP! No excuse for that amount of stupidity

True but a lot of these accidents are the result of non-patients wandering though or asked to work in the area without being told of the dangers. Frankly when you're around medical and industrial sites often you become somewhat desensitized to the signs. Yet every now and then a new one appears and catches your attention, like I ran into this one once and thought, oh this is where they keep the antenna (I had passed the caution sign about 10 yds back).

warning-sign-RF-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom