• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hammock Camping Thread

No-Fly night at the MRGCI Spring Car Shoot - ready for a cool night.
d80d1ed1e5be9d7af30760c618210c78.jpg

I should have come over and hammocked with you guys just for giggles. I was out in mine last fall for my moose hunt in 30 degree temps and it wasn't too bad.

So revision 2 needs a little tune up, and sits just a little too low, but does not touch the ground while I'm in it.
74027395e05c47908cf831100beb40c6.jpg

Lazy ass hammock buddy:

17d077f8e5acd72304ce4bed4600ffa2.jpg

The folks @ Pelham Fish & Game are wonderful for sponsoring run this weekends camp out. Wicked nice facility!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don;t have sleeping problems when I go camping. I bring a 6 person tent and a queen size air mattress. We all do (everyone in my group.) We take a boat to the place we camp. But if we were backpacking then obviously we would make different choices.

Anybody use one of the DD Hammock TQs? They rate it to 35 deg F which isn't great, but good for the summer. Their nicer one (Jura 2) is good a little colder but looks to be a hassle with the bottom entry HH.

I checked them out. One of the kids in the troop got one of their under quilts and it seams to keep him pretty warm. On the first trip one of the shock cords broke. Despite the time differences (they are in England), his dad was able to get a new under quilt shipped to him via 2 day post. If anything, great customer service.

I'm waiting for a sale at Arrowhead for top quilts. They have New River under quilts on sale for $30 off, and the 3 season regular length New River got me down to 20* with no issues.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p310/New_River_Regular_UnderQuilt.html

Last edited:
I've got one of the KAQ 4 season underquilts (that I still haven't properly tested). It's definitely nice but when I just looked at their top quilts the sticker shock got me, so I took another look at DD. I was originally going to use a blanket but knowing me my feet would be poking out all night and I'd be pissed.

I've got one of the KAQ 4 season underquilts (that I still haven't properly tested). It's definitely nice but when I just looked at their top quilts the sticker shock got me, so I took another look at DD. I was originally going to use a blanket but knowing me my feet would be poking out all night and I'd be pissed.

Right now I use a crappy 35* sleeping bag that the loft got all screwed up in. This past weekend, I used that with a fleece blanket on top and was just fine. However, I usually wear wool socks (sometimes in the summer too ) when I'm in the hammock because my feet will get cold, and if they are cold, I can't sleep.

The last time I looked at the DD quilts, they were sold out. I'll have to look again now LOL

But for $89, I can't see how you could go wrong. If you don't get down past 35* in it, throw a fleece blanket on top (if car camping).....

Last edited:
Anyone use the spinning cacoon method to get into a high hammock? I saw my nieces do this last summer. Kind of cool, and allows hanging it pretty high up.

[video=youtube_share;xHs6wHCCy_8]http://youtu.be/xHs6wHCCy_8[/video]

Right now I use a crappy 35* sleeping bag that the loft got all screwed up in. This past weekend, I used that with a fleece blanket on top and was just fine. However, I usually wear wool socks (sometimes in the summer too ) when I'm in the hammock because my feet will get cold, and if they are cold, I can't sleep.

The last time I looked at the DD quilts, they were sold out. I'll have to look again now LOL

But for $89, I can't see how you could go wrong. If you don't get down past 35* in it, throw a fleece blanket on top (if car camping).....

Boom, pulled the trigger. I forget what they call it, but I have the top cover (not the rain fly) for my HH and that really helps keep the breeze off you and traps some warm air.

D'oh, just saw your PM about the mediocre review. Oh well, we'll see how it does.

Last edited:
Boom, pulled the trigger. I forget what they call it, but I have the top cover (not the rain fly) for my HH and that really helps keep the breeze off you and traps some warm air.

D'oh, just saw your PM about the mediocre review. Oh well, we'll see how it does.

It's not a terrible review, but a $15 fleece insert would do the trick. That's still a good quality top quilt....

So a little tip, the last few times I've gone out I've tried to camp on the mountainside, each time I have had to readjust the angle of the hammock because, while I thought I was level, my head was low. I brought a line level with me last time and was assured I got the right angle. Maybe it's just me, but it helped.

So a little tip, the last few times I've gone out I've tried to camp on the mountainside, each time I have had to readjust the angle of the hammock because, while I thought I was level, my head was low. I brought a line level with me last time and was assured I got the right angle. Maybe it's just me, but it helped.

Nice tip!

from everything that I have read, you want to have your legs just a little higher, this helps your body not to slide down in the middle of the night.

Yup, the top half of me is heavier and my feet will still be slightly higher, if my head gets too much lower I get headaches.

Spent an hour or so in the backyard in mine this evening, the wife has an inexpensive Yukon Outfitters that she was hanging out. Pretty peaceful under the maple tree in the evening.

Spent an hour or so in the backyard in mine this evening, the wife has an inexpensive Yukon Outfitters that she was hanging out. Pretty peaceful under the maple tree in the evening.
Was just going to post and ask about Yukon outfitters. So what are peoples thoughts about and experiences with Yukon outfitters was like?

Can get their hammock, rainfly and trail quilt all for under a hundred to the door. Just don't want to pull the trigger and find out it wont even get me thru a season. And the highend stuff is not an option for me right now.

Last edited:
Damn it wish i saw this earlier. I already grabbed the yukon off woot this morning. Looking forward to trying out. When I can upgrade I'll just pass this on to my son.

Damn it wish i saw this earlier. I already grabbed the yukon off woot this morning. Looking forward to trying out. When I can upgrade I'll just pass this on to my son.

My wife likes the Yukon ok, it's pretty light material and definitely not the same quality as my Hennessy but it's fine for light use. For $30 my wife is going to use it in the day for a bug-free way to be outdoors relaxing, she's not using it for camping.

If you can get your hands on the Noah Tarp 12' on WOOT, DO IT!!!! Awesome coverage for 11' hammocks, and in diamond configure, you can get 3 under it:
11ef840389e673dd105e59aa9c006722.jpg

Oh, and I'm trying out the SnugPak hammock top quilt tonight ($39 on Amazon). Awesome reviews for a 3 season late spring to early fall quilt. Maybe just what I've been looking for.....

Edited to add: the best piece of kit I have for camping is my custom molded ear plugs. The loons here are friggen LOUD, and there are a lot of them....

Last edited:
So the snug pack top quilt worked out well last night. Really well designed, I like the wings that you can tuck in on the sides. The foot box is a bonus.

Had issues with my under quilt that I'm sure were operator error. Slept from 10 to 4:44 without issue. Rain woke me up, but I fell back to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom