• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Just got 3 dozen fresh (today's) eggs from a friend. These are mostly large double yokers. Passed about 15 of them along to another neighbor who's young daughter just loves eggs.

I gave my friend a couple of quarts of pickled beets in return trade. Love living in the country....people around here trade stuff frequently.

Mountain House Just in Case... 3 Day Emergency Food Supply I liked this kit. Priced out individually it's a decent deal. And no cheap items like powdered orange drink in the kit.

If you are part of their buyers club you get a double club discount. The site isn't that user friendly so I added some direct links.

I also picked up this: Ember Oven by InstaFire

I checked Emergency Essentials but didn't find any really great deals...yet.

Hard to find bear fat around here!
I'm on jar number seven. I think I have at least five more to go. I figured something out today. Grind your fat, don't chunk it. It takes a tenth of the time to render and the yield is way higher. Like not even close. I hardy have any solid left. The purity of this fat is incredible. My entire kitchen and every utensil is basically an oil slick. Good stuff.

20231127_163823.jpg

Just a heads up @Cowgirlup, the Mountain House site still has the November Veterans Day sale up with cheaper pricing(didn't check everything though) if you've got any spare scratch left over.

Just a heads up @Cowgirlup, the Mountain House site still has the November Veterans Day sale up with cheaper pricing(didn't check everything though) if you've got any spare scratch left over.
Thanks! I picked up a few other things that were a good deal!!

Ears have unpinned and they are scampering around the hut more. I was given permission to babysit for 10minitrs today while Socks (Dad) and Smudge (Mom) went out to eat and drink. I received the chortle of approval when they returned.

20240118_153508.jpg

20240117_121828.jpg

We're going to cull the two 9 month olds we have tomorrow morning to free up space. I was going to do them in two weeks, but I need to thin the herd before Blueberry pops. She's nesting in the other hut and close. Socks is going to be grumpy for a month while he splits time between the two ladies. He such a good dad.

It's funny how they have a language and it really is a chortle 😂 Normally I only get it when paying the scratchie tax Smudge and Blueberry charge anytime you go in the pen. Today they stood up, both chuffed at me, and walked outside. I somehow intuitively knew I was being commanded to stay and watch the piglets. And I got the chortle reward from Smudge upon her return. Pretty sure I'm officially in the club now. Lol

I've been experimenting with instant coffees because after the EMP I'll need my coffee :p They vary dramatically with quality and price. I tried Franklin's Finest Survival coffee. It was decent and I could consider stocking it, but the price is very high. I landed on Bustelo Mexican blend. Most Bustelo you see is actually the espresso and they do have an espresso instant too. Not that big of a fan for every day drinking though.

The Mexican blend is rich, bold and chocolaty and reminds me of my trips to mexico for spring breaks( a long time ago :)) The best part is it's very cheap, like 1/4 the price of Franklins

I ordered it direct from Bustelo at $6.38/jar and free shipping. Amazon pricing for some reason is at least double the price

I've been experimenting with instant coffees because after the EMP I'll need my coffee :p They vary dramatically with quality and price. I tried Franklin's Finest Survival coffee. It was decent and I could consider stocking it, but the price is very high. I landed on Bustelo Mexican blend. Most Bustelo you see is actually the espresso and they do have an espresso instant too. Not that big of a fan for every day drinking though.

The Mexican blend is rich, bold and chocolaty and reminds me of my trips to mexico for spring breaks( a long time ago :)) The best part is it's very cheap, like 1/4 the price of Franklins

I ordered it direct from Bustelo at $6.38/jar and free shipping. Amazon pricing for some reason is at least double the price

I’m considering a stock of instant coffee. I’m wondering how long the powdered creamer lasts. I can’t do black coffee. Puts me in a foul mood for the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom