Hammock Camping Thread

Alright, I bit the bullet and bought the KAQ Potomac 4 season. Considering I'm almost always cold I think I did the right thing. I think next up is to build a hammock stand in the yard. Right now I'm hanging between a couple trees but it's kind of a shitty spot on the property line and difficult to maneuver around the hammock to adjust things. I'd like to build a stand like this one, but I've been on a spending bender lately and need to cool it for a little bit.

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/portable-hammock-pipe-stand/

In related news, I got my PLUQ rigged up on my new Hennessey yesterday and after a bunch of fiddling I was able to get it situated pretty well. I still had some drafts when the wind picked up, but overall it was pretty warm. The biggest problem I have with that hammock so far is that when I try to read a book I tend to doze off immediately.

Thanks for that link on the stand, that will come in handy.

My hammock has that same issue, I think it might be a CO problem, every time I lay down in it I fall asleep.

Thanks for that link on the stand, that will come in handy.

My hammock has that same issue, I think it might be a CO problem, every time I lay down in it I fall asleep.

I guess a lot of people use that stand for hanging indoors as well.

I'd like to just sink a couple of 4x4s in the yard, but I don't know exactly where I want them and I have a hard time committing to anything. I also thought about burying a couple sections of pipe in concrete so I can drop a smaller pipe down in and hang my hammock from that. That would make mowing much easier and I wouldn't have random posts in the yard.

In reality if I do build one I'll never move it :).

Me and my BIL and our buddy (and also ASM for the same troop) are taking it up a notch for this weekend. Because there are no trees at the Jamboree, we are setting up stands. We are being put in a spot with a bit more room in order to do this/showcase.

Hammockinator 1.jpg
Hammockinator 2.jpg
all together.jpg

We had to make some improvements, and there is a little bit of ropework that we are doing on the side to make this go up much faster, but so far, so good.....

My back is hot.

I got my Kick Ass Quilts 4 season under quilt today and I'm hanging in the yard trying it out. I haven't adjusted it much yet but it's not all that cold either. I love how it has tabs for the HH Asym tie outs.

This message brought to you by the letter T and the number 9.

Spent Sunday and Monday night in my HH Asym, I made myself an underquilt on a pulley system so I could get in/out of the bottom entry. It worked like a champ, with a 0 degree bag and a couple small under blankets I was plenty warm down to about 36 degrees.

The weather says it's about 46 degrees right now. I was laying out there a good half hour in a hooded jacket, pants and socks. There were a couple cold spots but I hadn't cinched down the ends and dialed in the overall tension. And the warm spots were warm. With a blanket I think I could have been very comfortable. I'm going to sleep in it this weekend and get a good feel for how warm it is or isn't, but I'm very optimistic.

I'm using the HH Over Cover, too and I can see how that really keeps the warm air in. It's no good for hanging around reading during the day because it makes it dark in there, but it definitely traps the warm air.

Since it was snowing this morning I thought it would be a good time to try out the UQ. I tightened up the suspension and cinched down the ends and still had some issues with cold spots. I used a poncho liner as a blanket and that didn't seem warm enough, so maybe that was part of the problem. It didn't help that I was just wearing regular old white socks but my feet never got warm. And every time the wind blew I could feel the cold on my butt/legs.

Another problem I was having is I kept sliding down toward the middle. I thought I had the head/foot pretty level but the only way I could stay where I wanted was to jam myself into the corner so my head was pretty much in the mosquito netting. It wasn't uncomfortable necessarily, but mashing my face into the bug net can't be the correct way to hang.

Anyone get out lately? I've been setting up my hammock in the garage......

Set mine up in the back yard last saturday but never even got in it, took it down 20 minutes later. I plan on burying some 6x6 posts in the ground next to my deck so I can use it more frequently as just a nap time thing during the week.

-had plans to go this weekend. With lows in the lower 20s, I was going to leave the hammock at home and go on the ground with a tarp. Sadly, the incoming weather screwed it up for my partner so, it's a no go.

Honestly, wasn't looking forward to dealing with wet wood after the recent rain.

Next weekend is the plan. - maybe the hammock will end up seeing some daylight.
:)

ETC: trap to tarp

Last edited:
Going to try my new (made it today) hammock stand this weekend with the scouts

ab9f94827f1332b91fd71c823fc71c30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well folks, my TurtleDog stand worked like a charm. Slept better than I have in weeks. I brought my shooting plugs with me because I find sleeping outside to be very loud, not to mention that the ASM in the hammock 10 feet from mine snores like a chainsaw.

I had no issues with being too close to the ground, though I could probably raise the pole a few more inches. I just got tree suspension for backpacking, so I'm going to trim the straps I have now for the stand. Going to look for some Ti shackles.

I didn't set up my rainfly so I still need to test that out, but I did keep the bug net sipped on. I find it actually keeps a little heat in, as well as acting as a breeze break.

The troop didn't research the site we were camping at (Nobscott Scout Reservation in Sudbury), and we all assumed it was car campable. We were wrong. It was about a mile hike in up hill to the site, and the stands aren't too light. I dragged it all up anyway, along with at least 200 pounds of gear for the kids in a cart.

All in all a great weekend for sleeping under the stars.

Hammeck hammocks is suspending operations. You can order a hammock from them up until 4/30. They make/made asymmetrical laying hammocks that are fantastic. Me and the boy each have Netty's, my buddy/brew partner has an Envy-s (I hate him lol, the thing is a friggen Cadillac), and his boys each have Nettys, my brother in law got one of their complete do-it-yourself kits to make a winter rig, and I just bought a do-it-yourself rig without netting for a lounging rig at the lake.

Their hammocks are top notch and I hope they start back up again when they get settled in Pittsburgh.

hammeck.com

Hammeck hammocks is suspending operations. You can order a hammock from them up until 4/30. They make/made asymmetrical laying hammocks that are fantastic. Me and the boy each have Netty's, my buddy/brew partner has an Envy-s (I hate him lol, the thing is a friggen Cadillac), and his boys each have Nettys, my brother in law got one of their complete do-it-yourself kits to make a winter rig, and I just bought a do-it-yourself rig without netting for a lounging rig at the lake. Their hammocks are top notch and I hope they start back up again when they get settled in Pittsburgh. hammeck.com

I didn't need one but I ended up purchasing one. NES does it to me again.

Hammeck hammocks is suspending operations. You can order a hammock from them up until 4/30. They make/made asymmetrical laying hammocks that are fantastic. Me and the boy each have Netty's, my buddy/brew partner has an Envy-s (I hate him lol, the thing is a friggen Cadillac), and his boys each have Nettys, my brother in law got one of their complete do-it-yourself kits to make a winter rig, and I just bought a do-it-yourself rig without netting for a lounging rig at the lake.

Their hammocks are top notch and I hope they start back up again when they get settled in Pittsburgh.

hammeck.com

I see what you did there.

So it's vacation in NH and for tonight we are backyard hanging. 4 kids and me (and I would argue that I'm the fifth kid).

Here are 3 hammocks set up for the kids. Waiting on the fourth kid to get his hammock over here.

We are going to show Star Wars outside tonight....

df641181e04ae0eb4e22e1a289a6ff06.jpg
bdd63c7bb1fa8e8704e341aa6b92128d.jpg
0cd4d4f290fde1d0154e3217a39c6814.jpg

f7f263583358e66dfa3aa35beb79418b.jpg

Last edited:
I did some fiddling with my Grand Trunk Skeeter Better today. In preparation for a trip up into the White Mountains in the near future I treated the hammock with permethrin. I replaced the suspension system with Litespeed cinch buckles.

I also added a non-structural, adjustable ridgline, so the bugnet is functional immediately upon hanging. This way I don't have to separately suspend it. Of course the net is so big it does sag and if time I'll probably pull it up farther as well. The ridgeline is connected directly to the bugnet at the ends by tying the end of the line around a penny pushed into the net from the outside. I used a double fishermans knot to contact the two ends (two separate pieces of cord). The fishermans knots can be pulled away from each other shortening/tensioning the line. They will slip with too much tension, which is good so that it does not rip the bug net.

I also ordered a 3/4 length underquilt.

As with the Skeeter Beeter, I added an adjustable ridgeline to my Grand Trunk ultralight hammock as well. In this case it is tied directly to the hammock suspension. I also am using double fishermans knots as adjustment. It is just experimental. I found a spool of string I had when I used to string lacrosse sticks so used that. I doubt it can support much weight.

I bought a cheap bug net at Wally World for like 6 bucks I've been working on as a cheap way to add bug protection for the ultralight. It's excessively large and weighs 11 ounces (w/ stuff sack). I put small holes in the ends to slide the hammock suspension through so it hangs over the ridgeline. I now need to find a way to seal the bottom. I could simply leave it as is, because it does hang to ground, and stake it directly to the ground, but that's both a pain and adds excessive weight, defeating the whole purpose to begin with.

I ordered 4 sets ($10 a set with amsteel loops) of cinch buckles last week to replace the suspension on my Skeeter as well. It's getting donated to the troop and wanted to make it easier/lighter for whoever uses it next.

Back
Top Bottom