Hammock Camping Thread

Keep the comments coming.

This was my first outing, so I used stuff I already had available. For a pad I used my Thermarest self inflating mat. For sleeping bag I was using my 35-45deg bag.

The first night I could tell when I was off the pad, it got pretty chilly. So the second night I added my fleece insert under the pad for more warmth. It worked out all right.

I general get 4-5 hours of sleep a night no matter where I am, so that was a wash.

5fa76b81d832341f9e7bded53db568ad.jpg

ffc3397131ed65173127a03201b92177.jpg

537f44491833d3cb7201b41e755c164c.jpg

eaf44e58a256e8957a4354d0684f41c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really need to set mine up in the yard this weekend. I have two trees that will work if I trim branches. Off to Amazon for suspension...

I'll also add that I need to "practice" laying more diagonal as well.

If you're not already, set the foot end about 6" higher than the head end. It'll keep you from sliding down toward the foot end which will let you get a better diagonal lay. I use a full size pillow when I can too. Opens up the hammock at your shoulders and eliminates shoulder squeeze and the twisting feeling it can cause.

I keep my pistol in the hammock. Last year I had a yearling black bear wake me up pushing his snout against me. He was under the fly looking right in at me. The thing to remember is black bears for the most part are like giant raccoons. They like thieving an easy meal, but have zero interest in being near humans otherwise and will runaway 99.9% of the time. I gave a small loud 'Git!' And he ran off.

It is amusingly curious how wildlife in general will completely ignore your presence when you're hanging in a hammock. I've have pretty much every type of NH small animal walk under me oblivious to my presence.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're not already, set the foot end about 6" higher than the head end. It'll keep you from sliding down toward the foot end which will let you get a better diagonal lay. I use a full size pillow when I can too. Opens up the hammock at your shoulders and eliminates shoulder squeeze and the twisting feeling it can cause.

The foot higher thing is a very good point. I don't personally have an issue with feeling "squeezed" though.

I just got inside after playing with mine in the yard for the last hour. Atlas straps are awesome, and worth the $30.

I'm going to get carabiners because the suspension my hammock came with has threaded ones that are heavy and cumbersome -- I'm sure there is a lighter/quicker aluminum or titanium biner out there for a reasonable price.

I noticed the cold butt phenomenon just laying in it in the 77deg sun, so I'm sure it is much worse at night. I put my closed cell pad in it to test out and it was comfy, aside from the pad cupping around my torso and keeping my arms a bit elevated. I think that's why everyone says to use the 24"+ wide pads as opposed to the 18-20" ones. I wound up ordering a jumbo 8$ sun shade when I got the Atlas straps, so I'll try that out and trim it to size -- should allow me to get my arms inside of it as it cups over me on the sides.

I need to get some shock cord for the integrated bug net -- although it was supposed to be included with mine, it wasn't.

I just got inside after playing with mine in the yard for the last hour. Atlas straps are awesome, and worth the $30.

I'm going to get carabiners because the suspension my hammock came with has threaded ones that are heavy and cumbersome -- I'm sure there is a lighter/quicker aluminum or titanium biner out there for a reasonable price.

I noticed the cold butt phenomenon just laying in it in the 77deg sun, so I'm sure it is much worse at night. I put my closed cell pad in it to test out and it was comfy, aside from the pad cupping around my torso and keeping my arms a bit elevated. I think that's why everyone says to use the 24"+ wide pads as opposed to the 18-20" ones. I wound up ordering a jumbo 8$ sun shade when I got the Atlas straps, so I'll try that out and trim it to size -- should allow me to get my arms inside of it as it cups over me on the sides.

I need to get some shock cord for the integrated bug net -- although it was supposed to be included with mine, it wasn't.

The pads can usually be shortened significantly as well. You don't need it to be full length head to toe. Just long enough to keep head to hips off is plenty for me. Shortening it up can save a lot of space for packing the pad up.

Probably an 8 foot hammock. Tiny and uncomfortable. The suspension will be almost worthless. Check out Dutchwaregear and Arrow Head Equipment. You can get a sewn hammock blank and a suspension kit for just a little more than that, but it'll be legit and waaaay more comfortable. Look in to getting an adjustable ridgeline too. Makes consistent hangs much easier.

Last night was the first night I slept over 4 hours in years. I'm still getting the hang of hammock tenting, and every time we go up to our "camp", I have been setting it up, trying to see what I can do to make setting up camp easier, more comfortable, etc.

Last night I set up my tube tarp 1.0 as my rain fly. I just purchased this not to long ago, and it was the first time I have been able to use it.
cce9d28f267449db3ac0ad2127e0e0b0.jpg
cc00a54a05dc78575a1ff9c2c2ff7126.jpg
cb8b51dc617bc89667e4b1d785727bfe.jpg

Disregard cardboard, I was trying to burn it all last night but decided to use a piece of it for my welcome mat. Wife had me pick up a couch/futon for the camp (upstairs).

I find that my "Kit" is fairly light, and it all fits in a 10l dry bag. I'm certain it would fit in a 5l bag at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got the sleeping at an angle across the hammock down, but continue to forget to lower my foot end a little. Woke up with my legs tingling a little. Other than that, I love this.

I've got the sleeping at an angle across the hammock down, but continue to forget to lower my foot end a little. Woke up with my legs tingling a little. Other than that, I love this.

it takes a bit to learn, are you using any under insulation?

it takes a bit to learn, are you using any under insulation?

No, not yet. Just a 40* LL Bean sleeping bag I use for warm weather. I have a bunch of different options for bedding (sleeping bags, fleece blankets etc).

Hell, I was comfortable enough last night to watch episodes of burn notice on my iPad.

Another thing I figured out is that a pillow is optional in the hammock.

No bug net = good luck sleeping.

I have been mesmerized by the tv show Naked and Afraid. they take a guy and gal, make them strip, and then plant them in a belize jungle with a knife. and invariably, the first few nights are hell as they get eaten alive by mosquitos, until they get a fire started.

Back at the house tonight, and I want to put my hammock out. I really had a great sleep last night. Trees are too far apart, and the beams to my deck are too close together.

Back at the house tonight, and I want to put my hammock out. I really had a great sleep last night. Trees are too far apart, and the beams to my deck are too close together.

Check you tube, I saw one guy set his hammock up on trees that were about 30 feet apart using some climbing rope. Just need to account for the sag and use the guy lines to keep the sway down.

Ripped my tube tarp. Had to put it up different and think I pulled a little too hard, ripped it right along the seam, about 3 feet. It's still good, but will no longer see service above my hammock. Ordered something else to try out this weekend.

My son is getting a hammock and tube tarp though. He spent a week in my secondary hammock with a Boy Scout bug net and loved it.....

I've been Hammocking in my Warbonnet Blackbird with Superfly and Underground Quilts for about two years. With a Sock and warm quilts, I've been down to -7F in complete comfort. The trick is filling a 1L water bottle with boiled water, sliding it into a thick wool sock, and stuffing by your feet or between your legs to start warm.

The hammock, top and bottom quilts, and sock all stuff pre-assembled into a compression sack and the fly is held in mesh SnakeSkins for rapid deployment. I can set up in minutes.

On a recent canoe trip, I was totally dry in pouring rain that drenched the tent campers in runoff water.

Check YouTube videos by Shugemery for great information.

I've been Hammocking in my Warbonnet Blackbird with Superfly and Underground Quilts for about two years. With a Sock and warm quilts, I've been down to -7F in complete comfort. The trick is filling a 1L water bottle with boiled water, sliding it into a thick wool sock, and stuffing by your feet or between your legs to start warm.

The hammock, top and bottom quilts, and sock all stuff pre-assembled into a compression sack and the fly is held in mesh SnakeSkins for rapid deployment. I can set up in minutes.

On a recent canoe trip, I was totally dry in pouring rain that drenched the tent campers in runoff water.

Check YouTube videos by Shugemery for great information.
I think after I get my money's worth out of this skeeter beater, I'm going to invest in a Warbonnet. Very nice, I enjoy the side opening. Also, I have been checking out under quilts and found this:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p510/Anniversary_Jarbidge_UnderQuilt.html

I think next year I will get a nice kit going.

Right now though, I have found that my regular down style bags (I have an LL Bean and a Coleman bag) keep my butt warmer, and don't slide around as much as my EMS Solstice Switch bag.

When it gets cold, the trick is having an Underquilt under the hammock, on the outside, as the name suggests. As you don't press on it with bodyweight, it stays lofted, so you stay warm without a pad.

The War Bonnett Blackbird (WWBB) is an "asymmetric" hammock, where you lay at a 20-30 degree angle, with your feet right of the hammock axis and head left, so there is a rise under your lumbar spine (along the axis) for comfort. Your feet are in a little pocket area. Smarter Hammockers than me advise using a small closed-cell foam pad in that pocket to keep your feet warm as well, as your feet compress the down more. I usually sleep in long underwear any night under 70F, so I can lay over the inner Top Quilt, or slip under if it gets cooler.

I don't backpack in the winter, but pull a Pulk, or sled with a hip-belt and guide-rods, wearing snowshoes. For steep slopes, I take some weight out of the Pulk into a backpack, which helps ascent.

Hammock Forums lists seasonal "HAngs", where you can hammock-camp with like-minded folks and pick up great tips from the wizened ones. Some even have "shoots" involed too!

This thread continues to deliver. Thanks! My kids are going to be hanging out with me this weekend up at our property. I have them kitted out pretty good for casual hanging. They're pretty excited.

Was on a unnamed mountain hammocking Monday night and had a skunk come up right under me, very glad I didn't have to sneeze or anything, he moved on after a few minutes with no issues. But I thought if he let out a blast most everything would be ruined because he was basically inside my canopy. Anyone have any run ins with wildlife while in the hammock?

Was on a unnamed mountain hammocking Monday night and had a skunk come up right under me, very glad I didn't have to sneeze or anything, he moved on after a few minutes with no issues. But I thought if he let out a blast most everything would be ruined because he was basically inside my canopy. Anyone have any run ins with wildlife while in the hammock?

Man, that would have sucked. My wife keeps telling me I'm going to be a bear burrito, and up at Moose Hillock campground, the kids say they saw a couple bears roaming around.

We have a pretty good size hole in the side of the ill on our property, but I don't know what is hiding in it. I'll take a picture Saturday while I'm up there. I've smelled skunk once or twice, but the hole doesn't smell like that at all.

When you're in a hammock the wildlife finds you more curious or ignores you. Last year I woke up to a black bear yearling under my canopy sniffing me through the netting. I'm not sure which one of us was more startled when I woke up. I was just happy when he ran he didn't get tangled in the tie downs.

Back
Top Bottom