Hammock Camping Thread

One video review I watched said the bottom velcro entrance was tricky if you also had to get in a sleeping bag in the hammock.
Have you found that to be the case?

Nope. And if you're super lazy, step into your sleeping bag before you get in, sit, lift feet.

I'm a decent sized guy at 6ft 235lbs and I can get in and out of my sleeping bag inside a gore tex bivvy with no issues either before I'm in the hammock or after. I honestly have no idea why you would ever want the zipper entrance. It's a fail point and it's hard to use because of the location.

Nope. And if you're super lazy, step into your sleeping bag before you get in, sit, lift feet.

I'm a decent sized guy at 6ft 235lbs and I can get in and out of my sleeping bag inside a gore tex bivvy with no issues either before I'm in the hammock or after. I honestly have no idea why you would ever want the zipper entrance. It's a fail point and it's hard to use because of the location.

I've got the zipper and can't imagine having the bottom entrance, I tied some paracord to the bottom zipper and attached it to the loop in the hammock at shoulder level, so when I get in I just pull the string and don;t have to worry about zipping it up as I am getting in. Getting out the side seems more natural, particularly with the sleeping bag.

Is there a good guide in terms of what is needed insulation-wise depending on temp?

Like when do you need to sleep on top of a foam pad, when do you need an underquilt, when can you just use a sleeping bag (and what that bag should be rated at relative to ambient temp), how does wind affect this, etc..?

I never used mine last year because I didn't want to get 10mi into the woods and find out I didn't bring the right insulation and be freezing all night. I have a good idea for ground camping at this point.

Anything below 70* you're likely to want insulation. This may seem warm, but because of convective cooling, hammocks sleep way cooler than anything else - Tent, bed, ground.

Pads and underquilts are interchangeable. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, but theoretically, either can cover any temp range you're likely to be in. For both it's thicker for colder temps and thinner for warmer temps.

I like the quilt because it packs small and light and I know I can use the same quilt comfortably from -8 to as warm as it gets. If it's too warm for the underquilt when I lay down I'll still string it at three points (Head, Foot, Foot end pull-out) and leave it to the side of the hammock. If I wake up with a chill I'll reach out of the hammock and pull the quilt underneath me, clip it to the head end pull-out and I'm back to sleep. You can string them loose so they'll vent in warmer temps too but I've found that if I want anything under me I won't over heat with the regular set up. Top quilt works just like blankets on your bet at home. Pull it up, down, on or off your feet, to the side, whatever the temps dictate.

Pads, of course, are cheaper and can be more durable than down quilts, are more likely to have multiple uses, but may not be as good for the reasons listed above.

Wind affects same as a bivy or small tent but more so because it hits all sides. There is consideration that should be taken in camp site selection, hammock orientation, and tarp hanging to minimize heat lost to wind. The night of the big storm this last winter I slept at the top of the hill at work expecting all the snow that was predicted to close up the gap between my tarp and the ground by the time the temps really dropped. We only got a couple of inches and the gap never closed. Fortunately my insulation still handled the job because the temps were above my lower windless limit by a fair margin.

Getting bottom insulation right is way more critical than top insulation. May seem counter intuitive but it's pretty well agreed upon.

Everyone has different requirements for temps/insulation to remain comfortable too.

Best thing to do is test, test , test.

There is tons of info on this topic here:https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/88-Bottom-Insulation

Best thing about the hammock? Now when I car camp with the family, the girls can have their private girl tent, and I can get as drunk as I like then belch and fart to my hearts content in the hammock.[laugh]

Last edited:
That's my point. You jerry rigged the zipper because otherwise it's inconvenient. Plus you still have to worry about either zipping up something like your bag in the zipper (especially in the dark) and the zipper could fail leaving you SOL.

With the velcro I just push my feet down on the seem and stand up. No hands required getting in or out, plus I never have to worry about the velcro failing or snagging my sack. I bet if you tried the center seam you'd wonder why you deal with the zipper at all.

I agree that in colder weather under insulation is important. I differ on the temp range. I sleep just fine and warm down to about 45-50F with:
1) no bottom insualtion
2) 20F synthetic bag inside a surplus standard issue goretex bivvy
3) Hex over tarp tied nearly to the flat touching the ground with the wind blowing into the tarp and over (not through the "tunnel" you just made)

I've slept down to 20F with:
1) Same sleeping bag setup
2) Hennessey's mylar bubble pad under my bag (inside hammock)
3) Snow sealing the hex flats staked as above
4) pine bows stacked loosely on either end to close the "tunnel"

This night was not a wake up toasty warm, but neither was it continuously waking up all night shivering. I was fairly cold in the morning, but I slept.

I would not recommend, in general, sleeping regularly below 30F without one of the under hammock insulation solutions. When I bought our hammocks, there wasn't a winter under cover or pad like they have now. I really want to get one for mine and try it out.

Another note, my boys 7 and 10 love their Cubs and have slept happily to 55F in just a 20F sleeping bag in theirs without complaining to me on multi-day trips.

Last edited:
To clarify, when I say any thing under 70* you're likely to want insulation, I'm talking about any insulation, as opposed to just laying in a bare hammock in your skivies or even with a blanket on top but nothing underneath you except a 70d or 30d piece of nylon. If you're in the bag, especially a synthetic one, there is insulation underneath you just maybe not as effective as if it was at full loft.

Last edited:
To clarify, when I say any thing under 70* you're likely to want insulation, I'm talking about any insulation, as opposed to just laying in a bare hammock in your skivies or even with a blanket on top but nothing underneath you except a 70d or 30d piece of nylon. If you're in the bag there is insulation underneath you just maybe not as effective as if it was at full loft.

Ah, I misinterpreted your post then, lol.

I definitely agree with this. If it was 65 and you had nothing but shorts and a Tshirt and you think you're going to sleep well, you're in for some hurt.

To clarify, when I say any thing under 70* you're likely to want insulation, I'm talking about any insulation, as opposed to just laying in a bare hammock in your skivies or even with a blanket on top but nothing underneath you except a 70d or 30d piece of nylon. If you're in the bag, especially a synthetic one, there is insulation underneath you just maybe not as effective as if it was at full loft.
I was just going to put my regular sleeping pad in it and use a 45* bag this weekend. That be enough?

That's my point. You jerry rigged the zipper because otherwise it's inconvenient. Plus you still have to worry about either zipping up something like your bag in the zipper (especially in the dark) and the zipper could fail leaving you SOL.

With the velcro I just push my feet down on the seem and stand up. No hands required getting in or out, plus I never have to worry about the velcro failing or snagging my sack. I bet if you tried the center seam you'd wonder why you deal with the zipper at all.

seems logical. Do you use a sleeping pad or something underneath?

seems logical. Do you use a sleeping pad or something underneath?

Just the hennessey mylar bubble pad when it gets below 50ish. I really want to get the new under layer and pad and camp more next winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you learn that the hard way too?[smile]

Yup, woke up around 1am shivering my ass off when I first got it. I had my sleeping bag with me and didn't bother to pull it out because it was 75ish when I went to sleep. I just didn't realize everyone else was right until it was too late, LOL.

I was just going to put my regular sleeping pad in it and use a 45* bag this weekend. That be enough?

You'll probably be golden. I don't have much experience using a pad in the hammock though. Some folks put the pad in their bag, or hook the bag to the pad if you can. If you're in a Hennessy, some have a shock cord that can go across inside the hammock to help hold the pad. If you can, test your set-up before you go. If I can't spend a whole night out I'll try to get an hour just before sun up. Usually the coldest part of the day and if I'm comfy in an hour it'll usually make a night.

What size boat are you taking?

probably. You'll need to rig up the sleeping pad so it doesn't slide down at night (there are some little hooks at the top of the Hennesseys), or you can sling it underneath the hammock, that's the way the setup is on mine.

Speaking of the zipper/velcro debate, I'm not too fond of my zipper either. It works fine enough, but is slightly annoying to reach down to my feet to pull it up. but I don't think I'd like a bottom opening velcro either. I think that I'll try sewing in some magnets where my zipper is.

Speaking of the zipper/velcro debate, I'm not too fond of my zipper either. It works fine enough, but is slightly annoying to reach down to my feet to pull it up. but I don't think I'd like a bottom opening velcro either. I think that I'll try sewing in some magnets where my zipper is.

try the string method, works great and is easy

This guy is a goofball, but if you get along with his sense of humor and have the time to watch, he covers a ton of stuff in his vids. Seems to be a real good guy too. Always helping people out with this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8

That guy is awesome! Thanks for the link.

To the OP: I've only used my hammock a handful of times but, each time I say I never want to sleep on the ground again. Can't say I've done much hammocking in the cold. 40* was probably the coolest I've been. I had the underpad (thin foam) and used my cooler weather sleeping bag in the conventional way and was fine.

Completely planned trip by the scouts using a Saco canoe company. So, no eyed deer.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well...Can't hurt to throw a couple extra wool or fleece blankets in the car and if there's enough room in the boat, bring 'em along for good measure.

That guy is awesome! Thanks for the link.

To the OP: I've only used my hammock a handful of times but, each time I say I never want to sleep on the ground again. Can't say I've done much hammocking in the cold. 40* was probably the coolest I've been. I had the underpad (thin foam) and used my cooler weather sleeping bag in the conventional way and was fine.

Bolded is so true. I own two very high end tents, Big Agnes and North Face, and I rarely use them because I love the hammock so much. The comfort of the hammock greatly outweighs the warmth trade off.

I take the tent only if I'm camping somewhere there aren't trees, like camping near a summit.

Last edited:
I actually slept! And woke up with zero back pain! Pictures tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoo Hooo! Congrats.[smile]

Has anyone here made a hammock?

I've got a sewing machine, so I've been considering it if I can get the components (nylon, zippers, webbing) for substantially cheaper than what something like a hennessy hammock, or hammeck ( http://www.hammeck.com/ ) might cost.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/670-My-Take-On-DIY-Hennessy-Hammock-A-Tutorial

I've made one, but not an integrated bug net. Way easier to do a Fronkey style net or something similar. I did my net with a bungee cinch at the bottom. Don't actually have to cinch it getting in and out. Just set it and forget it. A channel or whipped end hammock is simple as can be as well.

You can buy blanks, and anything else you could need, from Dutch:

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/netless-hammocks.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone here made a hammock?

I've got a sewing machine, so I've been considering it if I can get the components (nylon, zippers, webbing) for substantially cheaper than what something like a hennessy hammock, or hammeck ( http://www.hammeck.com/ ) might cost.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/670-My-Take-On-DIY-Hennessy-Hammock-A-Tutorial

I once made a net hammock out of 550 cord while I was bored at NTC, Ft Irwin, but sorry I don't have any tips for making a camping hammock.

Whoo Hooo! Congrats.[smile]

I've made one, but not an integrated bug net. Way easier to do a Fronkey style net or something similar. I did my net with a bungee cinch at the bottom. Don't actually have to cinch it getting in and out. Just set it and forget it. A channel or whipped end hammock is simple as can be as well.

You can buy blanks, and anything else you could need, from Dutch:

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/netless-hammocks.html

Have you used the netting style as shown in that video?
Does it actually stay tight enough to the bottom of the hammock? Looks a bit iffy to me.

Also looks like it wouldn't work with the asymmetrical designs that have tie downs on the sides.

Last edited:
This looks like an interesting design, kind of the opposite of what you linked

Last edited by a moderator:
I was out bushwacking this weekend in a remote area of the Whites and got the hammock set up, it was great not having to worry about the incline of the hill or finding a clear spot. I had a night time visitor, either a moose or bear and it made me realize I feel less secure in the hammock as opposed to the tent. Obviously, as thousands of other encounters people have, nothing happened but just made me realize it. Then I saw this today:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/08/16-year-old-dragged-from-hammock-by-a-bear-while-sleeping/

A 16-year-old boy on a camping trip with his father at Great Smoky Mountains National Park was dragged out of his hammock by a bear on Saturday.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

30+1 77gr SMK's + 3 reloads.

Seriously, that's what I brought last time I camped in the Pemi Wilderness, and why [grin]

G20 will work for ultralight too.

Back to pads/underquilts -- for cheap summertime use in conjunction w/ a USGI green patrol bag, should I make a no-sew poncho liner underquilt? I already have the woobie, just need the shock cord which is cheap.

Or should I just buy a cheap car sunshade and use that?

I assume my regular closed cell sleeping pad would work too but I'm open to spending a few bucks to save on pack space and/or gain comfort.

I was out bushwacking this weekend in a remote area of the Whites and got the hammock set up, it was great not having to worry about the incline of the hill or finding a clear spot. I had a night time visitor, either a moose or bear and it made me realize I feel less secure in the hammock as opposed to the tent. Obviously, as thousands of other encounters people have, nothing happened but just made me realize it. Then I saw this today:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/08/16-year-old-dragged-from-hammock-by-a-bear-while-sleeping/

Yeah. Don't bring snacks or clothes that smell like food into your hammock in bear country, especially in an area where they're used to people.

After that, a G29 with Buffalo Bore Heavy 180gr JHPs. Repeat as needed.

The car sunshade works better if you taper the head end to fit your hammock. Secure the cut edges with tape. I think it's biggest drawbacks are no breathability, and can slide around underneath you. I picked up Hennessey's cold weather rig for mine in the group buy, but haven't tried it yet. Your closed cell pad will work, too. You need something - first time I used a hammock it got down to 50, and I woke up every 45 minutes to rotate the cold side. Once the sleeping bag fill was compressed under me, game over. With a sunshade, I can comfortably sleep all night at the same temps with a woobie.

Back
Top Bottom