Had a gun in my face and got away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hows this for a strategy:

don't drive in the $#itty part of Bridgeport at 2AM in a Mercedes. [rolleyes]

you put yourself in a ridiculous situation.

So you're blaming the VICTIM???[shocked]

I guess I thought here in America an adult should be able to travel freely no matter the time of day. [thinking]

So you're blaming the VICTIM???[shocked]

I guess I thought here in America an adult should be able to travel freely no matter the time of day. [thinking]

No, that's not what I said. But... he (and you and I) have a responsibility not to put ourselves in a crappy situation. That was plain stupid to be there at that time. (ETA: well, yeah it was what I said. The bad guys are culpable of course, and he'd have been within his rights to shoot, but the point stands.)

Here's an idea: if you're carrying a gun to protect yourself, you should take measure to ACTUALLY PROTECT YOURSELF!!

Lets make the point through hyperbole: suppose he was walking around carrying a gun on a sunny Sunday afternoon in Love-and-piece-ville, but he was carrying the gun in his hand and scratching his head with the muzzle while his finger was on the trigger. Suddenly "the gun went off". The bullet grazes his skull and he escapes with his pride hurt and a bad scar.

You'd be jumping all down his throat over that. "He didn't use proper gun handling". And you'd be right. This is no different.

Last edited:
<snip>

Here's an idea: if you're carrying a gun to protect yourself, you should take measure to ACTUALLY PROTECT YOURSELF!!

Lets make the point through hyperbole: suppose he was walking around carrying a gun on a sunny Sunday afternoon in Love-and-piece-ville, but he was carrying the gun in his hand and scratching his head with the muzzle while his finger was on the trigger. Suddenly "the gun went off". The bullet grazes his skull and he escapes with his pride hurt and a bad scar.

You'd be jumping all down his throat over that. "He didn't use proper gun handling". And you'd be right. This is no different.

How dare you make sense... I have no choice but to give you a +6 ....

No, that's not what I said. But... he (and you and I) have a responsibility not to put ourselves in a crappy situation. That was plain stupid to be there at that time. (ETA: well, yeah it was what I said. The bad guys are culpable of course, and he'd have been within his rights to shoot, but the point stands.)

I'll second massmark +6!! The first step to avoiding a fight is to not put yourself in the situation, and hopefully you'll be able to avoid a situation you're hopefully prepared for...

So I guess it's unreasonable for him to visit his friend that lives in the area?

What if he was working in the area at 2:30 AM, I guess he could have just called in sick. Bad things can happen anywhere at anytime. If we avoid certain areas at certain times, then the good guys have already lost.

So I guess it's unreasonable for him to visit his friend that lives in the area?

What if he was working in the area at 2:30 AM, I guess he could have just called in sick. Bad things can happen anywhere at anytime. If we avoid certain areas at certain times, then the good guys have already lost.

I agree with you. Visiting a friend who lives in a bad neighborhood isn't "asking for trouble," it's visiting his friend.

If the OP said that he was driving around in a town he had no business being in and this happened, I'd be on board with the others.

It's only unreasonable if he expects not to be targeted by the local thugs. Otherwise, it's eminently reasonable.

Should thugs run the street? No. But, as the saying goes, if you lay down with dogs, your're going to get fleas...

I made myself a money suit and am going out for a run later.... [grin]

Thats just dumb your asking for trouble.

I only walk around late at night in my money suit, little known fact, money suits chaffe something awful.

I see where you are going with this and believe me - I work in mental health outreach and I get calls from time to time to head into Pittsfield at 1am. The difference here is one of concept. We as gun owners - especially gun owners who carry, are obligated to hold ourselves to a higher standard of readiness - especially when we are carrying. Out partying with friends at 2am is one not so great idea when armed and the other is not being able to properly deploy your weapon when needed....

IMO there's a balance between "taking precautions" and having freedom... and that balance is likely different for everyone.

I can't really MMQB the OP too much here- after all, the guy did survive... and more than likely because he "did something".

-Mike

Drinking or Going to clubs in CT while carrying concealed, check.

College kid driving a brand new Mercedes (due for release mid 2009) in one of the worst area's in CT, check.

Leaving at 2:30am after a night out, check.

Run flat tires flat, check.

Bad guys make eye contact and conversation, check.

Not being able to deploy your sidearm, check.

Police report? unchecked.

[thinking][hmmm]

That's just me, maybe I'm just cynical, I don't buy it.

Last edited:
pocket-full-of-money.jpg

just go with this

I was wondering about the tire as well. You mentioned it is a new Mercedes and I think most high end cars have the never flat tires. But I don't know how they hold up if slashed?

Curious minds wonder... how the hell did the tire make out? How did it hold up as you drove away?

Man you were lucky...

Rich

Rich I have a Benz as well however there is no car I am aware of that come standerd w/run flat tires. If I read the post right the tire was flat prior to driving away.

I don't know how far you can drive on a flat tire,handling must have been a bitch. Just glad he got away.

Reread the original post...

Or, to make it easier, Ill quote the OP:

the car they were in was stolen as police found out as my description matched the stolen vehicle report that was filed that same night. these guys have been robbing that area for weeks now, and so far only one person has been shot and survived and one was shot and killed.

He doesn't come out and say "I filed a police report", but c'mon people, where are our inference skills?

(Sorry if I sound frustrated, Ive posted a reply to this effect a few times now)

I always thought to myself in situations like this, what should I do?
If the bad guy indeed already has a gun pointed to my head, and then I slam on the gas...unless your car does 0-60 in 2 seconds, won't he still be able to pull the trigger before your vehicle starts moving far away?

i dont know, i wasnt thinking about that. all i knew was my gun was holstered and it was either drive or get shot.

I don't think anyone asked the question, but what happened to the tire? Was it intentionally cut/messed with or was it a random freak thing or was it intentional?

the dumb asses took off the cap and let air out and messed up the valve stem. i had to bring it to Mercedes today, and they were like "What happened" i was like long story, just fixed it please. they also messed up the tire pressure sensor (TPS)??? i dont know where that is installed but i think from ripping around the corners didnt help me.

in case some of you were confused, they were shooting from a car, not sure if they got out of there car as i was to busy hauling ass to get away.

Glad you're okay...Honestly, WTF were you doing in Bridgeport with a 2010 Benz? I lived in Fairfield between 1999-2005 and I wouldn't park my 1992 Accord in most parts of Bridgeport.

all my friends from high school are either from there or moved there. i went to school in stamford, lived in norwalk, my god kids live there, my girl lives there...this was clearly a setup since they let air out my tire. thye knew i would need to pull over and they knew no one else was outside to witness anything. i know most people where i go, however where this one friend lives i only know a few people, deff not enough, and i think these 2 perps were from another part of town riding in there stolie

i came back from a concert/party that night, which wasnt in BPT. i was simply dropping off and getting my car to go home. i didnt do anything wrong and was using careful judgement, it wasnt like i let the air out my tire myself. i hope this situation never happens to you. i dont care where the hell your driving, if your tire goes flat your gonna get out and check what the deal is, there are shitty people everywhere and anyone at anytime could pull a gun on you, it's just some places more then others.

whose to say i couldnt have been driving down some wodd-sie road in the boondocks when someone from another town rolled up and pulled out? is thta my fault??? no

get educated and dont say dumb shit, i posted this for people to be aware in the area and to let them know my story so it wont happen to them. im just trying to look out for others. i have the right to drive where ever i want...AFTER ALL MY TAX DOLLARS PAY THEIR BILLS AND THEIR RENTS... MOST OF US OWN A PIECE OF THAT NEIGHBORHOOD

College kid driving a brand new Mercedes (due for release mid 2009) in one of the worst area's in CT, check.

[thinking][hmmm]

MAYBE I SHOULD UPLOAD THE POLICE REPORT? I'M PRETTY SURE IN THE STORY IT SAID, THE OFFICER SAID "VEHICLE MATCHED THE DESCRIPTION OF A STOLEN VEHICLE EARLIER THAT NIGHT"

guy who didnt read the story, Check

mention of police report, Check

college kid went out strapped but never mentioned drinking, check

giving some black people the benefit of being decent individuals who could have been simply asking for directions, check

guy angry at recent college Grad for having his finances in place, Check

Not passing the sniff test for me. Can't find anything on the Bridgeport, CT police log...but then maybe I'm just a little hard boiled for these stories...[rolleyes]

[thinking][hmmm]

That's just me, maybe I'm just cynical, I don't buy it

Not passing the sniff test for me. Can't find anything on the Bridgeport, CT police log...but then maybe I'm just a little hard boiled for these stories...[rolleyes]

[thinking][hmmm]

That's just me, maybe I'm just cynical, I don't buy it

I guess he is pretty lucky, then, that the point of his posting is not to pass your muster. ;)

Last edited:
I think about such scenarios now and then (along with my own violent "run-in(s)" years ago) as I drive a convertible any time the weather permits - even in Boston[wink] (I love the sound of a supercharged V8 between buildings[smile])

Sorry off topic, cekim, you must own a SL55 AMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom