H4102 is DEAD Congratulations all and thank you.

Emails sent to all member of the House Ways and Means committee. So far two out of office auto replies, not surprising considering the time. I'll update with any interesting replies.

Emailed so far!

Dear Representative:

I am writing you today to ask you help by not supporting the Governor’s “Lawful Citizens Imprisonment Act” but instead to support GOAL’s Bill, H.2259.

I have lived in Massachusetts my entire life in both the city and the suburbs, north as well as south. I can attest to the fact that most lawful gun owners want to see real criminals in jail and prosecuted for breaking the laws. The problem is that criminals do not care about new laws or the many laws we already on the books and adding the governors legislation to the existing laws does nothing more than impact law abiding citizens. This has been the practice here in MA for several years already.

Massachusetts currently has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. We have laws against buying or selling guns illegally, storage and capacity, transfers among many, many more related to gun ownership. The lawful citizen has to complete a long list of requirements to own or carry a handgun in MA.

The governors should focus his attention on the issues that truly impact the inner city and would have a real impact on crimes and gangs which include social, educational and employment opportunities for young people here in MA. The governor should also focus on the buying and selling of illegal drugs and profits from these which so often contributes to gangs and crime in our cities and crime with guns in general.

You were elected to help bring real solutions to our cities and states and not to enact laws that simply look and sound good. The governor is asking you to pander to a meaningless piece of legislation that will not solve the problems we face with illegal guns here in MA. Our Attorney General, law enforcement and many others familiar with the real issues are aware that the governors bill is no solution.

I appreciate in advance your support of GOAL’s Bill, H.2259

I took a quick look at goal's ratings and over half the committee is rated B or higher. Approx. 14 A's and 3 B's. A number of the ways and means members aren't ranked, probably because they're not running for reelection.

I fired off some e-mails. I don't expect a response since my rep isn't on ways and means. They'll keep hearing from me regardless.

Gloria Fox has a D rating. She will vote for whatever Deval Patrick asks her to do.
I'm sure Tom Menino has strong armed Gloria and Angelo. My rep, Willie Mae Allen is useless and has been from day 1.
I sent all the committee members a note as well as my useless, lame duck rep.
Best Regards.

Gloria Fox has a D rating. She will vote for whatever Deval Patrick asks her to do.
I'm sure Tom Menino has strong armed Gloria and Angelo. My rep, Willie Mae Allen is useless and has been from day 1.
I sent all the committee members a note as well as my useless, lame duck rep.
Best Regards.

I'm in the same boat...Katherine Clark voted to keep this POS legislation alive and is part of the reason we're going through this yet again. I've called all the people on the list and will send another email. It's frustrating when you call and they know nothing about the proposed bill.

Thanks crazymjb, Mike. It was nice of you to compile that email list. +Reps. Yeah, they all got something from me. Not gonna bother my Rep., Jim Miceli, because his staff as well as he personally said they're with us on this and H2259.

Last edited:
Here's my diatribe to the committee:

It has come to my attention that the house ways and means committee is considering Governor Patrick’s proposed H.4102, to so called “one-gun a month” bill to the house floor for discussion and vote.

As a registered voter, I urge you to oppose this bill. This is another hollow law that that bears the appearance of action, yet again does nothing to curtail the use of illegal firearms in Massachusetts. H.4102 restricts privileges and infringes the rights of lawful firearms owners, while doing nothing to address the real problem of illegal firearms use. It punishes only those who abide by the law . The last time I checked, criminals disregard laws, and as such, passage of H.4102 will have no impact upon the illegal importation of firearms in to Massachusetts.

What H.4102 does do, is to make make felons out of ordinary, law abiding citizens. Many of the most innocuous misdemeanors now place legally licensed firearms owners at the risk of being convicted of felonies simply due to the fact that they may be legally in possession of a firearm at the time of the infraction. H.4102 does nothing more than create more opportunities to convict otherwise law-abiding citizens of victimless, regulatory crimes. It is also poorly written, with great vagueness of its language, leaving open opportunity of abuse.

Massachusetts already has some of the most convoluted and restrictive gun laws in the country, yet statistics show dramatic increases in firearms-related crimes in Massachusetts since the inception of these laws in 1998. Given this track record, do you think one more gun law is going to make a difference to the criminals? Disarming law-abiding citizens does nothing more than create fertile grounds for criminal activity.

Given recent events, Governor Patrick certainly wants to appear to be taking action against the violence on the streets. The shooting deaths of children should not and can not be tolerated. I see little value in enacting yet another law that does nothing to address the real problem. How about enforcing the existing laws? How about creating reform that makes sense?

I hope you are willing to consider these points, and do more than vote on another "feel-good" law that does not solve the problem. I would suggest you examine another bill, H.2259, that does address Mass gun laws, making them clear, adding directed enforcement efforts against illegal firearms use, while protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens.

We as voters are growing less tolerant of government that that fails to represent the people. H.4102 is a prime example of government deciding for the people, as opposed to serving them.

Please reject this abomination of civil rights.

Respectfully yours,

Friday

My letter was short.

Dear Representative,

I am writing to urge you to put down Deval Patrick's latest attempt to curtail the rights of innocent citizens; H.4102. I would urge you instead to push progress on bill H.2259 - a piece of legislation that will make gun laws in our state simple, to the point, and strict towards those who would seek to break the law. Deval's ship is sinking - please don't let him sink us with it. Bury H.4102 as soon as readily possible.

Thank you,

Emails sent again today, My rep Koczera is on there. He is pretty reasonable on Gun issues. Hope he is once again. I hope these gun dealers are contacting their Reps also and voicing concerns as small business owners.

Thanks for the list, Mike. That makes it VERY convenient, so EVERYONE should find it easy to email SOMETHING. I'm quoting it here so it will be available on this page as well. I noticed a missing comma, so I added that and a couple of email tags. I trust you don't mind. (It looks like Barbara L'Italien's link is not being handled properly, possibly because of the apostrophe, but copy and paste into an email program still works.)

Some of you have written some great letters and emails. This time around, I've decided to keep my message very short because I question how much reading they're willing to do. The main point is kill H.4102 and push as hard as possible for passage of H.2259!

Now, on to the phone calls...

Thanks for the list, Mike. That makes it VERY convenient, so EVERYONE should find it easy to email SOMETHING. I'm quoting it here so it will be available on this page as well. I noticed a missing comma, so I added that and a couple of email tags. I trust you don't mind. (It looks like Barbara L'Italien's link is not being handled properly, possibly because of the apostrophe, but copy and paste into an email program still works.)

Some of you have written some great letters and emails. This time around, I've decided to keep my message very short because I question how much reading they're willing to do. The main point is kill H.4102 and push as hard as possible for passage of H.2259!

Now, on to the phone calls...

I agree. No need to make a long letter. Short and sweet does it. Be sure that the email title mentions that you oppose H4102 just in case they don't read the body of the letter.

emails sent again.

kept it short:

Subject: No on H4102 - Yes on H2259

Dear Representatives,

I am writing in regards to Bill H2259 “An Act relative to civil rights and public safety” and H4102 “ “An Act to Reduce Firearm Violence”.

H4102 restricts rights of and punishes lawful citizens. H2259 restricts the abilities of and punishes criminals. Please research H4102 and H2259. Please look into to the real data before voting.

Thank you for your support and consideration on this matter.

mike, awesome move posting all the addresses like that.

i'll email and call until they are sick of hearing from me... then i'll do it some more. they need to know the facts here and to make the right choices.

Emails sent.

Here is the text of my email. Hope I worded everything correctly.

Subject Line: Please support H2259 and NOT H4102

Dear Representative,

I am writing in regards to Bill H2259 “An Act relative to civil rights and public safety” and H4102 “ “An Act to Reduce Firearm Violence”. Please do NOT support H4102.

The governor's bill H4102 restricts the rights of lawful citizens and does nothing to curb gun violence as it's name implies. It is "feel good" legislation and not only will it do nothing to reduce firearms violence, there are pieces of the legislation that have already been proven to be unconstitutional by the courts.

However, H2259 does much to deal with firearms violence and ensures that crimes involving illegal firearms are prosecuted and that the offenders receive strong punishments. In addition, H2259 clears up much of the confusion within firearms laws as they now stand and will make it easier for law enforcement and the courts to enforce the law and prosecute gun-related crimes.

Please research H4102 and H2259 and vote AGAINST H4102. The passing of any new law should be based on real and proven data and should be voted on logically without the kind of emotional hype that is being attached to H4102. I urger you to research these two bills and to vote for H2259, which clearly attempts to address the concerns of the citizens of this state.

Thank you for your support and consideration in this matter.

Two E-mails sent, no responses so far. I wonder ... how much would it cost to send a singing telegram to each member of the committee with a message opposing H4102? Or maybe a candygram?

Two E-mails sent, no responses so far. I wonder ... how much would it cost to send a singing telegram to each member of the committee with a message opposing H4102? Or maybe a candygram?

Singing telegram!

My hope is that they're getting inundated with calls / emails.

If H4102 gets through, then I say it's time for another lawsuit that will ultimately go to SCOTUS. The recent McDonald ruling is in our favor, and it's time for the State legislature to start listening. It's also f---ing time for the NRA to throw some lawsuit money in the MA direction. (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Just frustrated.)

Singing telegram!

My hope is that they're getting inundated with calls / emails.

If H4102 gets through, then I say it's time for another lawsuit that will ultimately go to SCOTUS. The recent McDonald ruling is in our favor, and it's time for the State legislature to start listening. It's also f---ing time for the NRA to throw some lawsuit money in the MA direction. (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Just frustrated.)

Agreed! On a separate note, did anyone else get an email alert from the NRA specifically regarding H4102? I did last night but I deleted it since it didn't include anything that GOAL hadn't already included in their email alert. Thought it was nice that they sent it out but it doesn't change the fact that I won't be renewing my membership with the NRA this fall.

Agreed! On a separate note, did anyone else get an email alert from the NRA specifically regarding H4102? I did last night but I deleted it since it didn't include anything that GOAL hadn't already included in their email alert. Thought it was nice that they sent it out but it doesn't change the fact that I won't be renewing my membership with the NRA this fall.

Must...fight...temptation....

I got the alert. Can't help but wonder if GOAL keeps the NRA in the loop. [wink] The GOAL alert, however, had excellent detail comparing Gov's bill to GOAL's.

Back
Top Bottom