• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gusmith for a pin and weld?

Tim Gostling at gartman arms. He was with 1776 when they were around.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dover? go see Tim at Gartman Arms on rt 1 in Wrentham. it's close by and he's got a great rep

Yup... Tim at Gartman. Here's a photo of the pin and weld he did on my Tavor. I've seen some horror show photos of other gunsmith hack jobs, but Tim's pins are like ninjas... they vanish.

20150523_160816_zpsbsj1qsft.jpg

Would it be possible to get away with this with threadlock that requires a torch to remove? I've seen pin+weld jobs that are really good and you can't even tell it was done. I've also used the high strength threadlock that won't even come apart with a breaker bar.
Not that I have any, or looking to do any. Just wondering.
This law seems stupid (like all of them). I'm sure 99.9% of the people, if required would just buy a nice brake and thread it on there and leave it. The gov't think a flash hider removes the flash completely...Yeah there's no flash now, so as long as the person can see and is deaf, they'll have no idea that the gun is being fired.

Would it be possible to get away with this with threadlock that requires a torch to remove? I've seen pin+weld jobs that are really good and you can't even tell it was done. I've also used the high strength threadlock that won't even come apart with a breaker bar.
Not that I have any, or looking to do any. Just wondering.
This law seems stupid (like all of them). I'm sure 99.9% of the people, if required would just buy a nice brake and thread it on there and leave it. The gov't think a flash hider removes the flash completely...Yeah there's no flash now, so as long as the person can see and is deaf, they'll have no idea that the gun is being fired.

You might get away with silver solder, but I don't think thread lock passes anybody's definition of permanent. IANAL.

Dover? go see Tim at Gartman Arms on rt 1 in Wrentham. it's close by and he's got a great rep

^this
his pin-welding work is so nice i actually questioned him that it was indeed pinned. he finishes his work so nicely it's marginally visible.

You would want to pin and weld a brake on, say, a 14.5" barrel to hit the 16" minimum, even in NH, but it's probably not so common up here.

You would want to pin and weld a brake on, say, a 14.5" barrel to hit the 16" minimum, even in NH, but it's probably not so common up here.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh..
I don't think I'd give up the ability to run different Comps
brakes/hidders/suppressors for a 14.5" barrel.

sorry shoudd have been more clear I'm in dover nh

- - - Updated - - -

reason for it is i want to build an ak but kit i want is a 14 inch barrel so brake needs pinning to make legal

sorry shoudd have been more clear I'm in dover nh

- - - Updated - - -

reason for it is i want to build an ak but kit i want is a 14 inch barrel so brake needs pinning to make legal

LMAO cmon guy!
I'm trying to prove a point here.

And why would you get a 14" barrel ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's some food for thought. You guys are getting pin jobs done that are so good you can't see them. What's the difference in that and no pin job? Or just locktite? Or a hole only through the comp sleeve filled with silver solder?

I realize the correct answer is that only a true pin and weld are "legal." But given what's going on up there lately I'm not sure I would care much.

Under what scenario is somebody going to try to wrench the comp off of your rifle to make sure it is actually pinned? And if you are in that scenario aren't you probably in a big world of hurt about something else anyway?

Back
Top Bottom