• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsmith to drill barrel for FSB

50wt

NES Member
Anyone have any suggestions for a local ( RI to NH ) smith that can mount a Front sight block ( tapered pins ) on an AR barrel ?

Is this something any machine shop could do? Or is an FFL required because it's a gun part?
Im sure any good machine shop can do it , its getting them to actually do it.
I bought a upper kit from Sarco years ago it came with a virgin barrel
No front sight “holes” and in the white.
I ended up buying a front sight base with set screws. I mounted the sight with the screws and got it all centered and zeroed.
With a steady hand I made flats on the barrel for the set screws to sit on. Also gave me wiggle room for windage adjustment by front sight.
Once I was happy I drilled a 5th set screw up through the bottom to lock it down real good.
You can also ship it to ADCO, WOA and others .
Sorry my luck with gun smiths has been low in this area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to stick with the original tapered pin design, but I'll just drill and tap a couple holes in the fsb and dimple the barrel .

Someone had posted some photos of a car15 and I was bit intrigued by the shorter barrel and extended flash hider, and with some parts lying around , figured I'd try and assemble something.

Back
Top Bottom