'Gunsmith Special' SKS

A vendor recently had these listed, $219 for cracked stock, $199 for broken stock, 'Gunsmith Specials'. I have a couple of extra stocks, so I figured it might be a good way to expand the SKS family. This is a $199 model.

I came home for lunch hoping to catch the Fedex guy, and I lucked out.

I will keep this thread going through the cleanup of this thing. Holy crap is it a mess right now. The stock doesn't even appear to be broken, just a couple of gouges.

I ordered a second one about a week after this one, so I'll include that one in this thread as it moves along.

Here it is, completely untouched.

And it even came with a Mosin bolt tool:

Tomorrow is my day off, so expect to see this thing gleaming in 24 hours...

Fun project, keep us posted.

Would you just remove all the furniture and bathe it in hot water with some Simple Green to get that cosmoline off?

I'll put the metal parts in a foil pan in the oven at 150, and then see what Simple Green and paper towels does for the stock. I have never soaked one completely in water yet, but this is the worst one I've done.

And I plan to be buried with my guns. There is more than one way to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. I want to be a well armed zombie.

I did hear that you never have to clean an SKS, so I'm taking it to the range right now.

if the firing pin is not gummed up, it would go off fine, may be not in semi mode, but after 20 more rounds it will be hot enough for "self cleaning mode", just bring enough rags to wipe off the excess of cosmoline for future use

As it sits right now, I couldn't even pull back the bolt. I'll start tearing it apart when I get home from work tonight.

Damn. Make sure you keep that muzzle in a safe direction when tearing down. There's a live round in that chamber for all you know. [wink]

That's the first thing I thought when I saw they shipped it with the safety on. I'll be real careful until I have all the pieces in pieces.

holy cosmo batman! I was eyeing those too and wondered how bad they were. Doesn't look too bad considering the description. Cannot wait to see how it looks with all that cosmo melted off!

Its supposed to be quite cold over the next day or so, I'd wrap it up in paper towels and stuff it in a plastic bag and let it cook on the radiator for a day or 2 to give most of that external stuff off the easy way.

After seeing that much cosmolene there's no doubt in my mind this flood of old Chinese models came from Albania.

Must have been a stash that was found because Albania destroyed most of their supply. We can only hope a batch of Albanian models get discovered. :)

looks awesome, did you shoot it yet?

Awesome indeed.

OP you know the cosmo drill. $199 I'd buy one too.

Damn. Make sure you keep that muzzle in a safe direction when tearing down. There's a live round in that chamber for all you know.

What are the odds that a firearm gets shipped loaded? I know the discipline of treating all firearms as if they're loaded but you peaked my curiosity...

Last edited:
I've never heard of any guns being shipped loaded but have seen pics of an SKS that came with 2 live rounds in the buttstock trap door.

I order one with a broken stock last week haven't received it yet. What's broken with your stock?

As far as I can tell, nothing. There's a good gouge on one side, but it looks pretty solid.

I pulled it all apart, and everything is here. There is a big patch of rust on top of the dust cover, but the serial numbers on the receiver, dust cover, bolt, bolt carrier, trigger group, and magazine all match.

I had bought this to install one of my spare stocks (one jungle stock, one refinished Chinese), but I think the dark finish on this one is going to look pretty OK.

Edit: I didn't see it in real life, but it looks in this photo like there is a major crack in the stock. I'll look closer tomorrow. Maybe this one will get the jungle treatment.

If the whole stock looks as good as the gas tube cover, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
is that a crack on the wrist? Or a scratch of some sort?

010_zps04817a4e.jpg

It definitely looks like a crack in the photo. Didn't see it in my dim workshop.

I'll clean it up tomorrow and look at it in daylight.

yeah though in the large version of the pic its hard to tell. Hopefully just a scratch

Hoping it's just a scratch and you scored.

After buying my mint cosmolene soaked m59/66, 100 rds of ammo, and a hard case for $225 I never spend anything over $300 on an SKS. If the member was active I'd buy him a beer, I stole it from him.

Back
Top Bottom