• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Special rack grade.

not to rust on your receiver ... but CMP has been "giving" away rifles like that for decades. if only you had signed up then, you'd have a real special rifle now.

tell everybody to get theirs NOW ... before inventory dries up.... please spread the word and not just on some forum....

here's my all original and matched up '65 Service grade, cooking in the sun to get the cosmoline out. (cause I can't find the pics I took when it arrived)

and the biggest loss is the fun filled expectation of a rifle comming through the mail (fedex), to my doorstep WITH ammo .... that was an an exciting day.

Attachments

• degrease.cold.frame.JPG
    degrease.cold.frame.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 42
woo hoo .... found it ... it's actually a '55 (found the other pics too). this is what was sent to me, covered in grease/cosmoline. again, get the word out to get them a garand and to get it now.

and for the record, what you got there is a beauty for sure. keep it clean and feed it well. if yours is as good as you should expect, it shoots better then you do.

Attachments

• P4300677.JPG
    P4300677.JPG
    613.2 KB · Views: 33
For $650 bucks this thing was a steal. Some minor pitting but other wise in excellent shape.
The rack grade specials where a good deal IMHO. CMP took good ugly receivers and built up rifles that will get people shooting with out any worry or ruining any history.
New wood with metal $150 New Barrel $230 so close to $400 so you basically get a M1 parts kit for $250
Try finding a receiver for $250

Oh sarco has 308 garand kits for $730 no receiver
New 308 barrels for $170 thats a pretty good price

woo hoo .... found it ... it's actually a '55 (found the other pics too). this is what was sent to me, covered in grease/cosmoline. again, get the word out to get them a garand and to get it now.

and for the record, what you got there is a beauty for sure. keep it clean and feed it well. if yours is as good as you should expect, it shoots better then you do.
Thats hardly any cosmo,

not to rust on your receiver ... but CMP has been "giving" away rifles like that for decades. if only you had signed up then, you'd have a real special rifle now.

tell everybody to get theirs NOW ... before inventory dries up.... please spread the word and not just on some forum....

here's my all original and matched up '65 Service grade, cooking in the sun to get the cosmoline out. (cause I can't find the pics I took when it arrived)

and the biggest loss is the fun filled expectation of a rifle comming through the mail (fedex), to my doorstep WITH ammo .... that was an an exciting day.
That makes Garand # 5 for me. It’s like an addiction.

So thats new wood, new Criterion barrel and a slightly pitted receiver? For less than a 10 year old Glock is going for rn, that is a steal and a half.

Absolutely a steal. I keep thinking I should get one just because its so cheap even though I already have a couple of nice Garands with all GI parts.

I think all those special rack grades are gone, but I think service grade were still available for 750

That must be a Greek return since afaik the US did not preserve Garands in grease like that.
Maybe pre 1945?
@:30 pretty sure that sludge being scooped back into the vat is cosmo

View: https://youtu.be/Veuwak8Nc28

@ some point CMP started test firing rifles before they shipped them. So the actions at least get cleaned.
Again when and for what grade rifles?
Cmp claims every rifle gets cleaned.
I know I have seen the post war un issued in the foil wrap and VCI paper?
IIRC in another vid mark johnson says every rifle is cleaned and test fired

View: https://youtu.be/ScoZf8KjVVY

Last edited:
1945, I don't think so... barrel says '55 ... and here is closer view of that grease/cosmo it came with. as for greek return, not sure. would it have had an import/export stamp? the reciever is numbered in the 5.8 millions.

1618335516733.png

yeah supposedly CMP test fires the rifles before they sold them, and in the 50s they were definitely using the foil, powder, and VCI paper at least in the US. That's what makes me think Greek return.

@TrenchKnife a Greek return wouldn't have an import stamp. Is the grease particularly stinky? I think I heard the Greek version of cosmo was pretty smelly.

I think all those special rack grades are gone, but I think service grade were still available for 750
I sent in my order for a service grade some time ago. Looks like the special grades that were going for $1080 were sold out April 9, 2021.
The only rifles available now are the field grade @$650 and the service grade @$750.

@TrenchKnife a Greek return wouldn't have an import stamp. Is the grease particularly stinky? I think I heard the Greek version of cosmo was pretty smelly.

yeah, kinda stinky. had a cheese (parmesan) scent. it still has some residual stink. I figured it was like all old things military; "they just smell that way". I did all the research on this rifle back when I purchased it. I've since forgotten most of what I had discovered. with the above rack grade looking as nice as it does, might be time think on another one (before they're all gone).

1945, I don't think so... barrel says '55 ... and here is closer view of that grease/cosmo it came with. as for greek return, not sure. would it have had an import/export stamp? the reciever is numbered in the 5.8 millions.

View attachment 471991
Rifles from the cmp will not have import marks , well the ones they get from the US Army will not.
Rifles do get donated to the cmp from private sources those could end up being sold on auction sites or the stores.

yeah, kinda stinky. had a cheese (parmesan) scent. it still has some residual stink. I figured it was like all old things military; "they just smell that way". I did all the research on this rifle back when I purchased it. I've since forgotten most of what I had discovered. with the above rack grade looking as nice as it does, might be time think on another one (before they're all gone).
juzt note the rack grade the OP posted is a rifle CMP built up from a rack grade reciever.
Reciever is reparked , New barrel and new stock installed and a mix of parts to complete the build.

I would call the match director if you plan on needing ammo, I dont know if they will be providing any ammo for sale ?

Back
Top Bottom