Gunsmith Recommendation in Eastern MA

I'm looking for a recommendation for a gunsmith to rebarrel an M700. Rifle is a 1999 Remington M700 DM LTR 308. The barrel is shot out. I was going to use a Rock River 243, but came into a Remington 5R take off in 308. I basically need someone to inspect the existing rifle, remove the existing barrel, possibly square and blueprint action, inspect the 5R take off barrel (if acceptable), install (time, headspace, possibly touch up chamber, possibly recrown, etc).

Ideally, there is someone close by who I can take the rifle to, if not, I can ship it.

The new g smith who works at saxonville armory, he's pretty tight -if gfa is slammed

I looked at GFA's site, I think I've been there before. They were very nice guys. It's attached to an auto repair shop, right. I didn't know they did gun smithing.

I'll look up Saxonville Armory.

Last edited:
Greg only does pistols and was the first guy I reached out to. He recommended Mike Pigney. I met with Mike today and he's gonna take care of it. Mike builds lots of long range tactical rifles and shoots 1000yd. matches. He seemed to be particularly passionate about rifles, but expressed that he likes working on pistols, shotguns, doing wood stock work, and custom machining his own muzzle brakes. I'm glad to have found an accomplished rifle smith in this neck of the woods.

I'd also reached out to Dave Santurri, he promptly got back to me offering to do the work. I ended up going with Mike as he is 50% closer to me. I'd feel comfortable with either. Thanks for the recommendations.

If your just going with another remington barrel you could buy or rent the action wrench/barrel vise and headspace gauges for less than a,good GSmith will charge you.? Just an option. If the chamber needs a finish ream Smith can do that
Now if your going to go with a expensive high end barrel might as well do it right and have it worked over.?

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom