Guns you passed up and regret

SKS Ray

NES Member
Everyone has done it. Went to a show or shop and saw a gun you could afford, thought about buying it and didn't only to later regret it.

A few years ago at a show I saw a Savage rifle in .22lr with a US Property stamp on it for $150. The seller told me the history of the rifle and while I thought it was neat, for some reason I passed on it and regret it now. I can't remember the model number but I've never seen another at a show or shop for that price.

Colt Gold Cup 1911 for $700 in mint condition and a 12 gauge coach gun. Stainless barrels nice black wood. Dead sexy. Doh.

S+W Model 10 heavy barrel with gutter style rear sight. It was on the FS consignment rack for like $279. I'm not even a wheelgun person, but whoever had owned that particular revolver had action work done to it... it was really smooth I had bought an SW686 at the time instead, and was planning on going back and getting it... but like a moron I should have put it on layaway, it was gone the next week.

-Mike

Had the cash for an AUG on me. Didn't buy it.

Hate myself for not grabbing it. Hate. HUGE regret.

A friend told me, "I have few things that I regret buying; there are many things that I regret not buying."

I passed on a cuople of Parkers, as they were not cheap, had been restored [some fine double folds say "destroyed'] and didn't "speak' to me....

generally I don't regtret it, but sometimes......

Too many guns to list.

And ammo..... holy crap! If I had just invested in the $80 1000-round boxes of 7.2x39 from a few years ago, I could have retired by now.

No kidding USMA-82. My biggest regret is passing on ammo when I had the extra cash.

Everyone has done it. Went to a show or shop and saw a gun you could afford, thought about buying it and didn't only to later regret it.

A few years ago at a show I saw a Savage rifle in .22lr with a US Property stamp on it for $150. The seller told me the history of the rifle and while I thought it was neat, for some reason I passed on it and regret it now. I can't remember the model number but I've never seen another at a show or shop for that price.

Sounds like the Savage 120A that I bought for about the same price. [smile]

A 1928 Navy Thompson full full auto with 2 drums and 2 stick mags. Nice fitted case and 100 rounds of ammo, all for $3200. It was 1970.

Yea, I should have bought that one!

Back in 1984 I was working in Miami and had a chance at as many UZI's as I wanted for 500 each, FA. Same thing with HK-91's at 600 each. I was in the middle of a ring of shady individuals that had a recording company with one of the hottest groups going at the time. I settled for a nice Browning Hi Power for 250 instead. They were willing to let me have the guns up front and " deduct from my weekly pay "
I stayed down there for another few weeks before we hit the road for 6 months and then got the hell out of Dodge when the Feds came crashing their party.

A 1928 Navy Thompson full full auto with 2 drums and 2 stick mags. Nice fitted case and 100 rounds of ammo, all for $3200. It was 1970.

Yea, I should have bought that one!
According to measuringworth.com That would be about $17,700.00 in todays money using the Consumer Price Index. What's the gun worth today?

Last edited:
M14 for about 600 dollars. Knowing how rare it was, I was in the Navy and dead broke. Ughhh.

This may sound odd, but I have passed on two K-40's now, too. Maybe I'll hit one up.

M16 for $1200 when I got out of the service,my mindset was that after being in the Infantry and using the M16 a lot,full auto was a waste of ammo.Also,it was $500 more expensive than the semi version..Suppressive fire should be left to crew served weapons.

Only reason I wish I bought one was that I could have sold it during the last panic for $17K..

August of 1998, I had a Beretta Cougar special edition thing with nice box/case and extra mag and some other goodies. I was going to wait a bit, and then get it. Then Chapter 180 hit and it instantly became unavailable. This is when I woke up.

Passed on barrels full of mil-surp M1 Carbines for $99 each at Woolworth's in Downtown Boston back in 1976. I just wasn't into old iron back then.

In ~1978, passed up buying my one in a lifetime M1 Garand from DCM (back then) for ~$150 IIRC since my club didn't allow CF rifles.

Passed on Colt AR15s for ~$300 back in the late 1970s, NIB (dealer) strictly because the club I belonged to didn't allow any CF rifle and I didn't want to join a second club. That was one gun I really truly wanted back then. Dumb!!

M&P15 FT when they first came out...

Savage 10FP in .308 to match my .223

both were at a shop for good prices. both new. i actually had the extra cash and decided i'd wait and "not impulse buy" [laugh]

since then, both guns have increased in price by $200 dollars (average) in MA...

5 Commemorative colt 45's in the presentation boxes (I think that is what you call them) back in 1996. I believe they were of WW II. Each one had a picture on the box, and the pistol, mag and 8 round of ammo all secured inside. I can't remember exactly which each one was. A guy needed money bad and he wanted $400 a piece. I didn't have any extra money at the time, the next guy he offered them to bought them all. I should have begged my parents for a loan. Hind sight is 20 20.

1970's two Colts, both new: Python for about $250 and an Anaconda at about the same price.

Like most of us there are plenty I regret not buying, but one that really stands out...
heat0033.jpg

The M16 Val Kilmer used in Heat...

When Stembridge liquidated I bought a few guns, and that 16 was one I was "on the fence" about. But in the end i passed, because I thought they wanted too much for it, if I recall it was $4000 (this is about 10 years ago)..."sad" part is a year or so later I ended up buying a "regular" M16 for more money...

Back around 88 or 89 Colemans in Hanover had a set of high grade M12 Winchesters. 3 M12's (12,20 28 ga) and a 42 (410) all had checkered pistol grips and fore ends, factory vent ribs, jeweled bolts and carriers and were in great shape. I didn't so much pass on them but could in no way have paid for them.

A Colt 1908 .380 made in 1922 tagged in a gunshop for $450. I didn't know much about those guns at the time and had I known it's worth at least $300 more than the asking price I would have thrown my credit card down in a jiffy.

At the Barn store I saw a 44 revolver that had just been traded in(this was 2 years ago) .I really wanted it.Then next day I'm just telling the wife about it, she said take me to breakfast there and buy it .Well I loaded her and the kids in the car for breakfast at the barn store and hauled down there to find it had sold. If only I had called her that day (we don't buy anything over 100 dollars without talking).I thought she wouldn't go for it.

About a year and a half ago I was on the hunt for a Savage No4 Mk1. I went to a gun show with about $500 in my pocket and didn't find any Savages. What I did find was a used Glock 30 for $400.... I held it... The guy selling it didn't have too many modern guns on the table... I'm sure I could have gotten it for $375 but I didn't want to spend the money because I was looking for the Enfield.

I also missed an importunity to buy a really nice Colt Commando in 38 Special. On a scale from 1 to 10 it looked like an 8+. I think the shop wanted $275 for it. I really didn't have the money at the time and I have a few OP's anyway so I passed. It was there for a couple of months before it sold.

There was a nice CZ75 BD on here a couple months ago that I wish I had bought. When I finally came around, I was literally one day too late.

Back
Top Bottom