Guns and Explosives found in AYER home...

Some years back, I was leaving for work when a woman in a passing car stopped to tell me she saw flames coming out of the chimney. I couldn't see any. I went back inside and checked the entire house from basement to attic. I still couldn't see anything.

I called the fire department non-emergency line and asked them to send someone by to check, if they weren't too busy.

You know what happened next. The fire department has two speeds: on or off. Less than five minutes later, there was a pumper truck in the street, a ladder truck in my driveway, a fire department command car in the street, and, of course, a police officer.

Two firemen went onto the roof to check the chimney. Two firemen and the cop came inside.

And then......?

And then......?

Nothing. The firemen didn't find anything. I called a chimney sweep and ended up installing a chimney liner. The cop basically hung out in the foyer. Of course, all my firearms were properly stored.

But it is an example of how police and fire can wind up inside your home with little notice. So it is a good idea to follow this state's ridiculous firearms storage laws. Because if you don't follow them and you do have to call police or fire, you will likely get well and truly effed.

Last edited:
An Ayer Cop. Anyone remember the Tie Corporation, Ayer, Massachusetts? Where the cops vandalized the property because the company ended the security detail.

Can't say as I recall that....but I do recall something about a local club that had closed down and a bunch of the local popo got in trouble for looting a bunch of liquor from the place.

Hmmm ...PD/Emergency Personnel interaction can certainly swing to the extremes. As liability (meaning the odds of being "punished" via lawsuit) and the knee-jerk risk of legal action has increased over-the-years, that likelihood of over-reaction/over-reach has certainly increased. Definitely in the seventies, the eighties and into the early nineties, getting pulled over by the PD didn't necessarily mean a call back to home-base about your particulars beyond a radio call ..."be aware, I just pulled over a vehicle", and perhaps report of the registration tag in a majority of cases. And of course since that time technology and said liability have made the same scenario a mute point. You will be run through the database(s), unless of course you're an illegal alien, and then it simply is a hands=off ...it doesn't matter deal.

All that said, when you call emergency personnel to your address, all bets are off these days. Good luck on claiming 4th Amendment* rights, you just invited Dracula into your home, beware the consequences. Better to go lay outside in your driveway to wait for emergency personnel if you can get there.

At the least, for all of you BoB preppers (and ALL of us should be this), have a BiB (Bug-in-Bag) plan afoot. If you have friends or family whom you trust to do so, have a plan in place during an emergency where you suspect that emergency personnel may be entering your abode. Instructions to conceal anything that it would behoove you to do so if the same individuals might be entering your home even if you were not under similar duress. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

And now a brief story with a happy ending;

In the mid-nineties, I moved from MA to NH ....yes, I realize that I could end this story right here, and you'd all understand, but it is not that brief.

I was moving from a condo in Leominster, MA to a home in southern New Hampshire, and for a couple of months, was living (read: paying the rent and mortgage) at both locations as I transitioned from one to the other. The previous occupants of the house in NH moved on owing to a rocky split in a marriage. I knew the husband, he was a friend. As I moved furniture and possessions into my new home, I was careful to keepsafe my REAL valuables until I had transitioned completely. The previous owner still had a few things in the walk-in basement ...BBQ grill, motorcycle and snowmobile paraphernalia, ice fishing and hockey gear ...actually, some nice stuff ...not junk. In any case, As I arrived at my new place with a box truck full of stuff, I noted a pane of glass broken in the downstairs door. When I investigated, I found that the items aforementioned were gone ...including some of my own motorcycle gear ....errrrrr.

I immediately called the homeowner who had rented the house to the previous occupant (I very soon after purchased the home, but was renting until he straightened out another real estate transaction that was unrelated beyond time and energy). And I asked him whether or not I should call the police to report the break-in. He asked what was taken, damage, ec. and I told him. He briefly considered and told me to make the call to the PD so that it was on-the-books. So I did a once-over and rang the locals. A cruiser rolled into the driveway withing ten minutes of my call. A gray-haired officer got out of the cruiser ...I walked over and introduced myself and started to supplied a brief synopsis of the obvious and included minimal background information. He nodded, and started speaking in a STRONG NY accent (it turns out that he was a retired New York cop ...which borough I know not) declaring the case solved. It was the ne'er-do-well brothers of my friend's ex-wife. He identified the culprits by the generic orange soda cans left on the handrail of the deck above our heads. Apparently a calling card for these guys. He asked whether I wished to press charges, and I said that I'd relay the message to the homeowner, but that I was not interested in pursuing the matter personally as a renter. At that moment, he (this old Italian NY beat-cop, retired-to-NH, hick-town, local cop, turned to me as he got into his cruiser (having shown zero interest in going inside the house, looking at the broken pane of glass, or investigating in any way beyond a perusal from where he stood) and asked me whether I owned a gun. Now, having lived in Lunenburg, Worcester, Waltham, Roxbury, Roxbury Crossing/Jamaica Plain, Winchendon and Leominster Massachusetts, I immediately considered this to be a trick question, so not only did I not respond, I also maintained a face-of-stone, attempting to give nothing away, while not prevaricating. He smiled, and said, and I quote (as closely as I can recall), because I don't believe that I'll ever forget this line (that cop is still alive, but barely) "Well, if you have one, and they come back, don't hesitate to use it." ...hehehe, he didn't say "shoot 'em", but that's what he meant ...New Hampshire. It was if a cloud that I was unaware of drifted away, and a cleansing sunlight lit the ground around me. That was my first interaction with emergency personnel NH-style.

*The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

PS - The "brothers" who mistook my property for theirs were dealt with in a personal way

Last edited:
Monadnock:

People my family knew years ago, move from town, to a farm waaayyy up a dirt road. The local cop stopped by to say "hi", and told the family that were someone to break in, to make sure the body was coming in through the window, before they called him.

Of course, this was 35 years ago.....

Back
Top Bottom