Gun Store Customer Service -How important to you?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So what is most important to you when visiting a local gun store? Price would most likely be #1 for most people. What about next? Would customer service be the second most important thing? For me that answer is yes. I'll even go so far as to say that customer service is my #1 most important thing in a gun store. Price is a very close second, but I don't mind paying a couple extra dollars for a gun (within reason) if I'm getting superior customer service.

I'm not going to name names, unless I'm really asked, but case in point is last weekend when I visited a couple different gun stores. One had some of the best customer service I've ever seen and the other probably the worst (Next to Village and the Gun Room before they closed their doors. But I digress)

The first store was in NH and yes I know I can't buy much there being a Mass resident, but the place I visited was the epitome of good customer service. Very attentive sales force asking if I needed help and payed attention to the customers in every department. I had a question and it took me less then a couple seconds to find someone to help me. Very interested in making sure the customer is happy.

The second store is a fairly well known store in Worcester. While it had a very extensive inventory the customer service was the worst I've experienced in quite some time. A number of customers looking at guns through their glass showcases but only one person helping, so there was a bunch of people waiting. I get things are busy, but what I don't get is 4 guys behind the counter in a group discussion about how so and so got pulled over by a LE, but got off when they found out he worked at this gun store. This lead to a discussion of LEs in general in Worcester. They weren't being discrete about it and several customers, including myself ended up walking out without seeing anything. I'll never go back, so in this case they've lost a potential customer for good. I can only imagine that the manager was not on duty. If he was, he should be fired for lack of attention.

In today's market it still amazes me that some people think they can treat customers this way and still stay in business. Well, I guess they'll learn as business dries up....

One bad experience and I don't go back. There are plenty of shops around that are run by really nice guys who I enjoy doing business with.

I'm happy to pay more for better customer service. I don't feel good about supporting people that I don't feel gave me any respect - even if I receive a slightly better price. I'm much happier paying more and supporting people and businesses that show that the truly care about their customers.

Price is never #1 with me. I buy everything I possibly can at Blue Northern in Ayer. They have helped me out in so many ways and it is a pleasure just walking in and visiting. They cannot possibly compete with the larger and busier stores on price and I don't care.

It's important to me from a basic aspect of getting things done, but I don't need much beyond that. For example there is a crew of people around here that expect the gun shop to pretty much have a towel attendant in the bathroom that wipes their ass when they take a shit, and that entire concept just puts the idea of customer service on an unreasonable scale.

BTW the gun room has been closed for a long time now so badmouthing it isn't going to hurt anyone. We all know it sucked, it was pretty much the barometer for horrible service. There were a few shops that were actually below the gun room, too. [laugh]

Also, an aside.... I won't excuse bad CS but I try to give some shops the benefit of the doubt, but I guess I'm biased because I've been on the other side of the counter before.... and some of the clientele in this industry, particularly now, in the post sandy-hook era, some of these people will make your head spin. I mean it's good to have more people buying guns, but some of these people are really, really ****ing stupid, or obnoxious to boot. So when I go into a new shop I try to be polite and non-annoying as possible to the staff, because for all I know 5 minutes before I got there some tire kicking skinflint ****stick douche, ******* was just there, and the clerk is trying to get his/her blood pressure to come back down to a more reasonable level.

-Mike

Yup, price is #1 but good service is a close 2nd. There is a fairly large store in the Hartford area where I have seen that same scenario played out time and time again, especially if you are looking at the every day guns. If you wander over to the high priced case they start paying a little more attention. The last time I went there the guy was new and spent most of the time telling me about the guns he wanted to buy instead of helping me with the ones I was interested in.

Not only that, he asked to see my pistol permit before taking anything out of the case. Never had that happen before or since. I had it handy so without thinking much I just let him see it figuring maybe it's another new stupid CT law. It's not and it bugged me later. I think it was his way of seeing if I was worth helping or not since I could not buy a pistol without a permit. I should have just walked out. I only went there because they have a larger inventory than my local shop and it's fun to look at stuff but I have never bought anything there, probably never will. They make it way too hard.

Yup, price is #1 but good service is a close 2nd. There is a fairly large store in the Hartford area where I have seen that same scenario played out time and time again, especially if you are looking at the every day guns. If you wander over to the high priced case they start paying a little more attention. The last time I went there the guy was new and spent most of the time telling me about the guns he wanted to buy instead of helping me with the ones I was interested in.

Not only that, he asked to see my pistol permit before taking anything out of the case. Never had that happen before or since. I had it handy so without thinking much I just let him see it figuring maybe it's another new stupid CT law. It's not and it bugged me later. I think it was his way of seeing if I was worth helping or not since I could not buy a pistol without a permit. I should have just walked out. I only went there because they have a larger inventory than my local shop and it's fun to look at stuff but I have never bought anything there, probably never will. They make it way too hard.

Well, admittedly, in the shops defense, in permit states they want to see your permit because some buyers are clueless and don't realize you would need one to buy the gun..... and if you were a retailer, would you want to engage in a 20 minute dog and pony show about a handgun that you could never legally sell someone anyways? That's the definition of a waste of time.

-Mike

Price and selection are most important. Even then I won't buy from you if you're a dick. If you make me feel like I'm annoying you by coming into your shop, I really don't care if buying from you would save me $100. Go **** yourself and have fun sitting on your inventory.

I don't need or expect white glove service in every business encounter but if you show me you don't appreciate my business then, out of principal, you're not getting it.

BTW the gun room has been closed for a long time now so badmouthing it isn't going to hurt anyone. We all know it sucked, it was pretty much the barometer for horrible service. There were a few shops that were actually below the gun room, too. [laugh]

-Mike

HA! Yeah that place was one of the worst. Same with Village. Though I did get a great 686 with a 6" bbl in their closing the door sale when they were closing down. Though for this post, the shop I'm talking about is still in business. [wink]

I believe most of us try and be polite and respectful when in a shop. If I get "mistreated" because the guy behind the counter got a ration of sh!t 10 minutes ago by someone else, I am leaving the store and not returning. I manage a help desk. My employees take some abuse for sure...but they are always polite, responsive and respectful. That is the nature of the business.

I would definitely pay more for firearms at shop that makes me feel that my business is important to them.

Customer service is #1 for me. I have visited many stores. I love Four Seasons Firearms in Woburn (www.fsguns.com) for their superior customer service which includes email list and frequent email updates. Price is only important when the store is obviously overpriced. I would put selection of products as second most important.

I believe most of us try and be polite and respectful when in a shop. If I get "mistreated" because the guy behind the counter got a ration of sh!t 10 minutes ago by someone else, I am leaving the store and not returning. I manage a help desk. My employees take some abuse for sure...but they are always polite, responsive and respectful. That is the nature of the business.

I work in customer service (one of my things is doing IT helpdesk stuff) and it doesn't hold a candle to the potential pain and misery of retail. At least in a company/organization there is a moderating influence from above in the sense that the people you are servicing are part of the same organization. When you work in a gun shop that guy coming through that door could be a great ally/customer or the biggest ******* you've ever had the misfortune of trying to sell something to. I mean I've had difficult users at work but retail abuse puts that stuff to shame. [laugh] If there was a level of grade of pain in the realm of customer service, Retail can, on bad days pretty much approach hell on earth.

-Mike

Customer service is usually at the top of my list but prices have to be reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only customer service I want is for the NICS check to be fast. Cabela's has a very nice system, but it takes so long to complete I'm not likely to buy there unless they have a gun I can't get elsewhere.

rule #1 is don't be a dick.

i can haggle and argue price, a custom order can be placed, etc. but i can't work around the proprietor or his/her employees being a dick.

Customer service is #1 with me.
If I wanted to get the "best price possible" I'd probably just buy everything online.
But I feel that the LGS is a very valuable commodity to have around, so I make sure to support them.
In turn, I expect store employees, and or especially store owners to act civil.

Price is important to a degree but I think most people would pay a little extra if they get good service and/or like the shopkeeper. I pay a little more for all of my golf equipment because 1) i trust the pro I deal with 2) He stands behind his products 3) he will tell me if I'm buying something that I shouldn't 4) he almost always has me demo products before I buy 5) he's a nice guy

I'm interested in the NH Shop, I'm guessing Riley's since they have different departments and are typically a good shop. Collectable Arms and Ammo is smaller and they really don't have departments per say, but are great in terms of customer service.

Personally, Customer Service is a strong valuable item. Building a relationship and showing loyalty to the shop helps get you perks as well, dibs when new items come, ability to hold things over the phone, small discounts if they can do it.

There are a number of shops I don't go into simply because they suck at making sure the customer feels like their business is appreciated, namely Shooters Outpost.

If I'm behind a counter, I try to greet everyone as they walk in the door, treat everyone as they are going to be purchasing a firearm (because they'll likely come back and do so if we treat them as a real person), and answer their questions as many times as they need to ask to feel comfortable with their choice, even if it's coming up with different approaches to manipulating the slide on a firearm, until they get it.

Well, admittedly, in the shops defense, in permit states they want to see your permit because some buyers are clueless and don't realize you would need one to buy the gun..... and if you were a retailer, would you want to engage in a 20 minute dog and pony show about a handgun that you could never legally sell someone anyways? That's the definition of a waste of time.

-Mike

Yes but it's not common practice so it will rub most gun shoppers the wrong way, as it did me. I was not there asking dumb questions either, I clearly knew my way around a gun. Some hipster off the street, yeah I can see where asking him if he already has his permit yet is valid but asking someone to actually produce their permit is different. Bad business.

And guess what, the first pistol I bought was one I saw at Cabelas before I had my permit (my local guy was in a FFL fight with the ATF and could not sell for a while until they got it straightened out). I loved the gun and once I got my permit I came back and bought it. At no time did they ask if I had a permit or ask the see a permit and they got my business for that gun.

I guess that's another reason I mostly stick my the guy I've been going to since I was buying black powder and canon fuse before I was old enough to buy guns. I walk in, we shoot the breeze if we both have time. If not I make my purchases and go on my merry way, no BS. He doesn't have a huge selection but he will get me anything I want and his prices are close enough.

A mix of customer service and decent pricing is what I look for. This is why I usually go to Pullman Arms. it is a no BS kind of place. The service is real good and prices are generally the lowest in the area.

I know the shop the OP was complaining about and the customer service there has really gotten poor. It was real good when the opened but it seems there business philosophy has changed, and not for the better. H-S was another shop with exceptional customer service, it is a shame that they are closing

Customer service is without a doubt the #1 factor for me. I'm the type of person who pretty much knows exactly what I want to buy, so I may take a second to look around, but I usually have already waited long enough (the car ride) and I want to make my purchase. Nothing is more irritating and frustrating than walking into a store, seeing employees standing around talking to each other, and nobody coming over to assist you. I'm obviously not talking about a situation where there are other customers being waiting on, it's when I'm standing there, just waiting for someone to come over. Several times I have walked out of places and driven further, just to pick up what I want, because I can't deal with the terrible customer service. But honestly, I've had more good experiences than bad, and I'm thankful for that.

have or get what i need or want at a price im willing to pay and dont make shit up......thats about all a gun shop has to do.

few EX:
1. dont tell me a vendor is out of stock when I can see it on my smart phone?
2. dont make up laws
3. sometimes its just best to smile and take my money

I'm interested in the NH Shop, I'm guessing Riley's since they have different departments and are typically a good shop. Collectable Arms and Ammo is smaller and they really don't have departments per say, but are great in terms of customer service.

The good store was Shooters Outpost. I've been there a few times and always get the same type of service. I did visit Riley's as well that day. They were very busy and all of their staff was helping customers. They had some nice toys hanging on the wall to the left from where you walk in there.

A mix of customer service and decent pricing is what I look for. This is why I usually go to Pullman Arms. it is a no BS kind of place. The service is real good and prices are generally the lowest in the area.

I know the shop the OP was complaining about and the customer service there has really gotten poor. It was real good when the opened but it seems there business philosophy has changed, and not for the better. H-S was another shop with exceptional customer service, it is a shame that they are closing

I like to go somewhere with decent customer service, but I specifically want knowledgeable and responsive service.

I could care less if they want to chat or be friendly, however I really appreciate someone who can talk knowledgeably about what they are selling and won't BS me. I buy most of my target shells from the guy who sold me my shotgun, because he spent plenty of time with me walking through what he had that fit what I was asking for and letting me know what might work. If I could buy every gun from him I probably would, but he is in NH and I am not.

I have bought stuff other places and the person behind the counter was very friendly but occasionally saying this or that tid bit of information that was clearly misinformed. I would go back there, but I wouldn't ever ask for their advice on something.

It's important to me from a basic aspect of getting things done, but I don't need much beyond that. For example there is a crew of people around here that expect the gun shop to pretty much have a towel attendant in the bathroom that wipes their ass when they take a shit, and that entire concept just puts the idea of customer service on an unreasonable scale.

Also, an aside.... I won't excuse bad CS but I try to give some shops the benefit of the doubt, but I guess I'm biased because I've been on the other side of the counter before.... and some of the clientele in this industry, particularly now, in the post sandy-hook era, some of these people will make your head spin. I mean it's good to have more people buying guns, but some of these people are really, really ****ing stupid, or obnoxious to boot. So when I go into a new shop I try to be polite and non-annoying as possible to the staff, because for all I know 5 minutes before I got there some tire kicking skinflint ****stick douche, ******* was just there, and the clerk is trying to get his/her blood pressure to come back down to a more reasonable level.

-Mike
+1

I guess since I spent my formative years with my dad wrestling with the Hasidic Jews buying camera gear and other electronics in NYC I don't give two ****s about customer service. Thanks to the internet and forums like this, I almost always know more than the shop owner anyway on the particular firearm I am buying. So price is number 1 for me.

I'm going to hazard to guess the bad customer service was from the gunshop that has the anti-Obama posters in the windows? I went there a year or two ago and the guy behind the counter was a dick. Just cause I am a M*******, don't treat me like one. I know a lot of people here love that place, but I will never go back.

Shooters Outpost is ok, I tried to give Jim $13k on two separate occasions to buy a MA legal firearm, but he was never bothered to follow through, his loss. I bought it somewhere else that wanted to take my money. Chris behind the reloading counter is awesome.

Chris

I guess since I spent my formative years with my dad wrestling with the Hasidic Jews buying camera gear and other electronics in NYC I don't give two ****s about customer service.

Imagine if we had around here a B&H (or even Adorama) type of gun store?

There's only one gun shop in my county. They have great customer service, but their prices are obscene on everything except blue label Glocks, and even those are marked up $30. I go through a "kitchen table" FFL for everything.

-Mike

I would say Al at Sportsman's in Merrimack is sort of the NH equal of gun room.

Back
Top Bottom