Gun safety, never too early

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
My six year old son was having a friend over to play for the first time and was showing him his toys. The other boy picked up a plastic dart gun and was aiming it around. My son explained to him "don't point it at any people. Someday you might have a real gun, and that would be dangerous."

My six year old son was having a friend over to play for the first time and was showing him his toys. The other boy picked up a plastic dart gun and was aiming it around. My son explained to him "don't point it at any people. Someday you might have a real gun, and that would be dangerous."

Thats great +1 rep point for raising your kid up right.

I am 14 and have to keep reminding my 5 year old cousin jacob. He goes around shooting every body with his toy guns, and he refuses to stop. I finally outsmarted him however, I told him he will never go shooting with me and his dad.

I never let the kids have toy guns other than water pistols, and I started teaching them about gun safety at 5. They also knew that any time they wanted, dad would take them out with a BB gun and we'd kill balloons. Starting early is the only way to keep kids safe.

great job. the earlier you start the better it is. i was teaching my kids when they turned 5. my grandson started shooting (and winning) at turkey shoots when he turned nine...hes 14 now....and has won 2 trophys so far.....for the record his dad used to be an anti now hes not. i finally won him over.

Good for you. Teaching kids about guns early on also removes the mystery around them and kids realize that they are tools to be used properly. Your efforts, and your son's knowledge, may prevent a tragedy some day.

GOOD JOB!!! I told my son to not put the 9 volt battery in his mouth....two seconds later he is crying and sticking his tongue out....He's almost two, but sometimes I think the boy is just not right

I don't know when he'll be ready for gun talk

Last edited:
I seem to be in the vast minority here,but I find this a little TOO safe. I'm all for discipline but isn't the point of a toy gun to shoot it at things you can't shoot a real gun? Does this mean all of you who played cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers, or Local teenagers and the russian and cuban armies (my favorite) shouldn't have been doing it because it might lead to unsafe gun habits.

We often use the car-gun analogy,so I'm going to tweak it.This is like telling a child with a toy truck "don't run it in to any thing,someday you may do it with a real truck".

I agree that safe is better than sorry and give credit to you and your son for being safe,but there must be a better way to do it than this.

I'm going to be branded a moron especially since I'm young and new,but I felt I had to say this.

I seem to be in the vast minority here,but I find this a little TOO safe. I'm all for discipline but isn't the point of a toy gun to shoot it at things you can't shoot a real gun? Does this mean all of you who played cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers, or Local teenagers and the russian and cuban armies (my favorite) shouldn't have been doing it because it might lead to unsafe gun habits.

We often use the car-gun analogy,so I'm going to tweak it.This is like telling a child with a toy truck "don't run it in to any thing,someday you may do it with a real truck".

I agree that safe is better than sorry and give credit to you and your son for being safe,but there must be a better way to do it than this.

I'm going to be branded a moron especially since I'm young and new,but I felt I had to say this.

You analogy isn't exactly right, IMO. A toy truck is a model on a different scale, whereas a toy gun can look and feel like a real gun... Tonka trucks and matchbox cars don't operate for the user (child) in the same way as a real car or truck does. A more accurate comparison would be a GI JOE action figure and accompanying plastic guns. Its a similar debate to the video games which include gun violence... Its a matter of ease or difficulty in differentiating between real and pretend.

Boys will be boys and they are going to play good cop bad cop, cowboys and indians. I just think it is amazing when at that age his boy responded in such a responsible manner. Plain and simple good parenting. Kuddos

The kids do shoot nerf guns with each other, and they shoot at each other with wooden sticks, but if the thing looks like a real replica of a gun, like those metal cap guns we used to have as kids, I feel better if they enough respect for it and other people not to point it at each other.

One other thing Bando, I think another reason is if you play with real guns and they look real then what would happen if he accidentally found a real gun. That is the number one reason for gun accidents, not using proper safety.

my 6yo girl gets the same from me....even though she has never so much as seen one of my guns....she tells me all the time 'I cannot touch guns because someone might get killed, like dead"

We had real looking guns when we were kids. Revolvers, 1911s, M1 Garands, even a cannon and we played with them like we were kids. We played war all the time and pointed them at each other and fired. Kids even fell like they were hit. We had fun and we knew the difference between toys and real firearms.

See, now the typical Boston resident would teach their kid to stop drop and roll, scream at the top of their lungs and then call the bomb squad! [shocked]

We had real looking guns when we were kids. Revolvers, 1911s, M1 Garands, even a cannon and we played with them like we were kids. We played war all the time and pointed them at each other and fired. Kids even fell like they were hit. We had fun and we knew the difference between toys and real firearms.

Yep, didn't everyone do this as kids? The first thing you'd do when you got a toy gun was take off the ugly orange knob on the front of the barrel! [laugh] Seems like nowadays you're likely to get accidently shot doing that [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom