Gun safes in NE?

In the market for a gun safe and amongst other places was perusing Craigslist. I see allot of dealers advertising on there from all over New England. I'm not new here but being military and gone allot, I haven't really been out and about. Any dealers come to mind good or bad? I was looking along the lines of the fatboy, but it's too wide x deep to fit through the doorways I'd need it to go through. If it matters, looking for a 50 capacity and would like to stay within 2k. Thanks for any recommendations.

Well, looks like Eastern Safe is the place to go. IME, gun safes are all about configuration, some 35 capacity models will work better for me than some 50s. my current setup is a 42 but it would only hold 42 if I collected O/Us or Win MDL 94s. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll give Brian a call at Eastern Safe.

I would say you have 3 choices

1) Used - in which case the guy who advertises in the NH craigslist with a $0 amount, is a great guy. He has dozens of safes in his barn. You will get more for your money used. Most are business safes and much more secure than a gun safe.

2) If you are willing to go mail order and give up some aesthetics, sturdysafe.com makes an excellent safe for reasonable money. They aren't $500 safes. But their $2000 safe will have a thicker shell than any other similarly priced new safe.

3) if you want new from a local dealer, its hard to beat eastern safe.

Agree with folks regarding Eastern. Just one more bit of advice: I purchased my safe there about 15 years ago. At the time they had 'blemished' Liberty safes for a discounted price. I got one and to this day I can't find where the blemish is. If you want to save some cabbage, ask if they still do this.

-VT

I'm not opposed to blemish safes or used. I want it to be a secure storage area for my firearms, hold up it's fire rating, and that's about it. Lets face it, a thief will get into anything given enough time. Aside from someone throwing a tow hook through my wall and yanking this thing out, I think I'll be fine with most safes in this price range. It will be bolted to a concrete slab and if allowed, into wall studs to protect against pry and tipping. This is for my gun/reloading room/man cave, so it doesn't need to be a spit and polish showpiece with hand pin-striping.

I bought a Lincoln Liberty 50 from Eastern but it wasn't $2000 bucks. I'd def buy again... But I bought big enough that I shouldn't have to! :)

There is a lot to buying a safe especially in the construction and alot of useful info is on the web. You need to narrow down to the gauge of metal you'd be happy with, fire liner material (ceramic vs drywall) even if you want solid plate vs composite door. Alot of options on interiors as well. Biggest factor for me is American made when buying.

Sturdy has been mentioned but there are others on the internet with great reviews all American made

Drake Safe
Bear safe
Johnson Safe
Smith Safe
Vault Pro
Visalia safe
CE Safes - Sun Welding safe is making his safes custom for him

I think that Tractor Supply and Costco are also worth a look.
Rumor has it that you do NOT need to be a Costco member (though they may charge a few dollars more), and if you phone in your order you can ask for a dial (mechanical) rather than keypad (electronic) combination set.

I'm not opposed to blemish safes or used. I want it to be a secure storage area for my firearms, hold up it's fire rating, and that's about it. Lets face it, a thief will get into anything given enough time. Aside from someone throwing a tow hook through my wall and yanking this thing out, I think I'll be fine with most safes in this price range. It will be bolted to a concrete slab and if allowed, into wall studs to protect against pry and tipping. This is for my gun/reloading room/man cave, so it doesn't need to be a spit and polish showpiece with hand pin-striping.

Used, $2000 can get you a safe with a 1" plate body with a 2" plate door and 5" of concrete around the body and inside the door.

In most cases, you won't be gone that long. Seriously, the guy in NH had a safe like the one I described on sale for $2000. It was enormous.

Google TRTL30.

Go here: http://nh.craigslist.org/for/4273222448.html

This safe is incredibly ugly, but this is hard to beat:

DIEBOLD SAFE (GREEN)
T-20 / 4 HOUR FIRE
HANDLES INCLUDED (NOT PICTURED)
74H X 43W X 34D
$1299.00

TL20 is so so much more secure than the RSC rating that the UL gives to most gun safes. We're talking about a safe with at least 1/2" steel in the body compared to a 12 ga body. Its about 5x as thick. .5 vs .104

Crap, I fat fingered this IPAD, still getting used to the site. Long time reader, figured I'd get involved. Anyways....thanks for the info and the link dcmdon, you guys are making my decision harder. One of my concerns is obviously fitting it through a standard doorway, and being able to move it if need be with 2-3 buddies. I've seen some good deals but they were monsters that it seemed you'd have to build a house around or you'd need a forklift to move. Some of the business safes look good. I'm quite handy and capable, I can build and upholster an interior with no problems.

Hey I figured out the edit option...yay me!

The guy in NH will deliver into your home for very very reasonable money.

Obviously if you are renting, most of his stuff is not worth the hassle. But if you own your home and intend to stay there, its worth it. Give him a call. I went up there intending to buy one safe, and when I saw all he had, ended up buying a different one.

He is not very internet savy.

I googled the trtl30, holy crap, 2k pounds? That rules out me and a few buddies moving it. I own my home but don't plan on staying in CT once I get out of the military...surprise huh? So moving is a concern.

Back
Top Bottom