• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safe Moving Company Recommendations OTHER Than Eastern? Worcester/Central MA

OK I searched through some old threads and got some advice, but I'm curious if anybody has any better ideas.

I need someone to move a ~700lb safe from a house in the Worcester area, to my house, which is about 35 minutes north of Worcester. I got a quote from Eastern and they want $1350!?! Way more than I can afford to get this thing moved. Have a call in to Milligan Safe & Vault and waiting to hear back from them. I also called as many Worcester area moving companies as I could find, and four or five said they could do it, and were all fairly reasonable (around $500-$600) but I'd rather use someone who moves safes regularly if possible.

Any other ideas? I appreciate any help at all.

So I did the same, called Eastern when I was moving to see what they would charge. They wanted 950 to move my $1500 safe. I ended up talking to the moving company I was using for my large furniture, and they charged me $200. I'm sure it would be more when not already using them, but give a good moving company a try. I used 2 men and a truck, they said they do safes all the time.

Mine is the same weight as yours and I think the moving company up-charged me $100 or $150 for the safe. Only two towns over but very reasonable. Of course this was just an add-on to a complete house move.

They got to the new home and realized that they had forgotten their hand-truck in the driveway at the old house. :rolleyes:

They just strapped it up with some moving blankets and 4 of them carried it down the cellar stairs. (No bulkhead at new home)

Mine is the same weight as yours and I think the moving company up-charged me $100 or $150 for the safe. Only two towns over but very reasonable. Of course this was just an add-on to a complete house move.

They got to the new home and realized that they had forgotten their hand-truck in the driveway at the old house. :rolleyes:

They just strapped it up with some moving blankets and 4 of them carried it down the cellar stairs. (No bulkhead at new home)
Same here, they took the door off and one big guy just carried the door and they used the hand cart for the cabinet part. I think my safe is about 600 or so empty.

4-6 guys, truck, trailer, tractor, winch, dollys, hand-truck, come-along, straps, pizza, beer, whiskey.
done.
After moving a 400+ pounder and a 200+ pounder out of the mill with one other guy... f*** that noise, never again. Let some other c*** do it for a few hundo. Money well spent.

This right here is why I bought 3 safes instead of one large one. Bolted to the floor and bolted together they're as secure as a large safe, but easy for one guy to move when necessary.

Wish I had come up with that idea before I bought mine, it weighs 1,100 lbs empty, I dread moving it to the new house when it comes time.

I recently bought an 800lb Liberty from these guys from their Putnam, CT store
Very professional all the way around. The guys did an excellent job with delivery and install.
Looks like they offer the service for units bought elsewhere:

If you're looking for another quote, I know the guys that run this company and they do great work.
Ask for Alex:

Last edited:
Four years ago... My moving company charged me an extra $400 to move safe - from 2nd floor to 2nd floor. And I tipped the 4 guys on the crew who actually moved it up it extra.

I hired 3 guys from uhaul and rented an appliance dolly a few years ago in New Hampshire. It was around $300.

With an appliance dolly (the one with the retractable rear wheels), I moved a 700lb safe with just me and the wife. But, yes, it was sketchy. Eastern Safe can do the job in 10 minutes from truck to basement. If I ever get another safe, it will be a Zanotti. No reason to bolt to the floor. Just set up a blink or other security camera in your gun room/pointed at the safe so you'll get a real-time alert if someone is in the room. As to Milligan Safe & Vault, the owner is a nice guy but moving safes is, ironically, too small of a job for him. He deals with vaults.

we make this shit more complicated than it needs to be. just pick someone who's price you're willing to pay. now you have a shit load of "i used these guys" stories. never get anyone here on nes to answer a question like this. like the medical problem threads, "my wife's cousin has the same thing." gotta love 'em.

we make this shit more complicated than it needs to be. just pick someone who's price you're willing to pay. now you have a shit load of "i used these guys" stories. never get anyone here on nes to answer a question like this. like the medical problem threads, "my wife's cousin has the same thing." gotta love 'em.
I'd rather get some referrals from people that have used different companies and were satisfied with them. Then get multiple quotes and make the decision from that. You may be willing to pay a certain price, but doesn't mean you can't find a better one, or a better option.

I had regular movers move my large safe way back when. They were affordable and did a great job. We aren’t talking about a nuclear warhead.

My uncle's neighbor said the exact same thing. I was during the great "I need a pizza" incident of 2003. Got the pizza. Tipped the delivery driver $5. Best pizza he ever had.

After moving a 400+ pounder and a 200+ pounder out of the mill with one other guy... f*** that noise, never again. Let some other c*** do it for a few hundo. Money well spent.
Yup. I'm getting to the point where I'll pay someone else to do it. Get up on the roof to clean my gutters? I used to do that myself. It's not bad for the front of the house, but the rear is a walkout basement and if I trip, I'm falling 20+ feet onto a bluestone patio. Now that I'm over 60, I'll pay cheap money to someone young to climb up on my roof.

No way I'll move a 500+ lb safe myself. I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to risk myself or my friends getting hurt.

Last edited:
This right here is why I bought 3 safes instead of one large one. Bolted to the floor and bolted together they're as secure as a large safe, but easy for one guy to move when necessary.
This. Mine are bolted floor and wall but are moveable if need be.

My Dad has a big safe my old basement bedroom that's probably 700 pounds and its getting sold with the house. I'm not moving it.

This. Mine are bolted floor and wall but are moveable if need be.

My Dad has a big safe my old basement bedroom that's probably 700 pounds and its getting sold with the house. I'm not moving it.
Unless the buyer says they don't want it. That happened to me. Fortunately, a firearm buddy of mine took it.

There is a difference between moving a 700lb safe and one that weighs 1420lbs empty. I used Ea$tern $ecurity $afe for a move (1K 10 years ago) and their service was consistent with their price. The used a hydraulic stair climbing dolly; used plywood on my lawn from the street to the bulkhead; and even brought a cardboard box the exact size of the safe to protect the finish during the move.

Their stair climber broke, so they called in for reinforcements (more Eastern staff) and completed the move without any damage.

They mentioned they use the plywood because of the danger of breaking sewer lines, septic equipment, etc. by driving up to the back of the house. Once inside, they used wooden wedges to make sure the safe was level and the door would not move in either direction if left half open and untouched.

I suspect that their high moving price makes more sense with a safe well beyond what two untrained people with a dolly can do.

Back
Top Bottom